Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Romance: Singles' Bar, Aphrodisiacs, Dating, Arranged Marriage  (Read 4070 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Romance: Singles' Bar, Aphrodisiacs, Dating, Arranged Marriage
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 07:38:31 pm »

Its not like dwarfs have birth control, so if your dating your having kids, and if your having kids your married. In the time period DF is set in "dating" was fundamentally different. (at least at the lower levels of society) More "courting" than dating. Things like singles bars and dating are relatively modern things, since we can have sex now without having kids. This is really something that should be a mod rather than part of the base game.

As Vattic said, ethically the dwarves are remarkably modern. Religious crusades would be funny stuff, especially with the implementation of deities later. I see it as more of a human thing, though.

The latest news from Blockadedglitter is that in the year 308 the site was conquered by worshippers of The Forlorn Toga due to a dispute over fabric cultivation.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 08:59:16 pm »

Society prefers fantasies to period dramas for a reason.  DF is not about making every little detail of life exactly like it was in the middle ages, (cuz, yknow, dwarves...) it's about picking and choosing the elements you want to recreate and reenact.  Personally, a modern romance in DF times would be fun. 

That said, dating and singles bar interactions don't have to result in copulation.  A lot of people go on dates and have fun but still wait until marriage for the final act. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

Dwarves don't seem like "hook-up culture" types. I want to see courtship expanded, but I don't think aphrodisiacs and singles bars are the direction to take. Meeting at big formal socials in the tavern for a courtly singles dance works, however, as would a prospective pair travelling together through various meeting areas or a privately-owned dining room. But not a bedroom! Scandal! She'd spurn his brash advances! Unless, of course, both had high lust scores. But what about their respective sense of duty? Shame? Tantrum spiral and a lover's suicide plunge into the well?

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 10:48:25 am »

Dwarves don't seem like "hook-up culture" types. I want to see courtship expanded, but I don't think aphrodisiacs and singles bars are the direction to take. Meeting at big formal socials in the tavern for a courtly singles dance works, however, as would a prospective pair travelling together through various meeting areas or a privately-owned dining room. But not a bedroom! Scandal! She'd spurn his brash advances! Unless, of course, both had high lust scores. But what about their respective sense of duty? Shame? Tantrum spiral and a lover's suicide plunge into the well?

Urist and McJuliet: By the Necromancer Shapesbeard.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:03 pm »

But not a bedroom! Scandal! She'd spurn his brash advances!

That assumes that dwarves actually need or even use beds to run the bases.  Some experiments in the Fortress Mode forum concluded that statues are the piece of furniture that causes them to initiate intimacy. 

As for the general sentiment, "hooking up" is probably not right for dwarves, but then dwarves don't seem to be as obsessed with privacy or personal ownership as humans.  What we might consider to be wild and risque might simply strike them as sensible and efficient. 

I think I mentioned this in the beginning, but I usually play as mod races instead of dwarves, so the personality of dwarves is not so important to me as the personality of the players.  And there's Adventure Mode where you could play as an elf and hook up with whatever is handy. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 01:46:50 am »

That assumes that dwarves actually need or even use beds to run the bases.  Some experiments in the Fortress Mode forum concluded that statues are the piece of furniture that causes them to initiate intimacy.
This is more an artifact of how creatures need to touch to make babies without being explicit than a deliberate design choice. Unless I am misremembering it was to give us a better way to control livestock breeding. Public nudity embarrasses most(all?) dwarves so baby making in the statue garden seems unlikely.

As for the general sentiment, "hooking up" is probably not right for dwarves, but then dwarves don't seem to be as obsessed with privacy or personal ownership as humans.  What we might consider to be wild and risque might simply strike them as sensible and efficient.
Maybe not modern Western humans, but both in the past and other parts of the world privacy is/was seen as a luxury not a given. I have heard that in India trying to get some privacy is often seen as a sign that you are sad. Personal ownership not being such a big deal is more a result of underdeveloped systems than a reflection of dwarves as designed; They value commerce and once bought things, also nobles get upset about peasants with better rooms.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 [2]