Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Underground water supply  (Read 5407 times)

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Underground water supply
« on: April 13, 2015, 04:55:58 am »

I went underground looking for some more consistent fights. I found my way down to the 2nd cave level but now I am getting thirsty. I was able to find a water supply but it is laced with mud. Is there any way to drink underground? If not, is there any way to navigate to a dwarven tunnel or something like that? I see a map when I rest but I cant seem to see it any other way.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 05:14:46 am by Vsor »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground water supply
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:11:38 am »

There is fresh water down in the caverns, but you have to be lucky to find it.
What you can do to survive in such a situation:
Kill animals and drink their blood.
Put some blood in your backpack to increase your amount of fluids.

To find a dwarven tunnel you have to leave the second level and climb upwards towards the z-level in which the highways are located.
Again, you have to be lucky to find a way back.

Or you can use dfhack to pick your way to safety.

Vsor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 05:34:17 am »

I found some unmuddied water on the third cave level. In the future is there anything keeping me from carrying a barrel of water with me?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 05:58:06 am »

The easiest solution would be:
Become a necromancer.
Becoming one isn't really easy but the benefit of never worrying about water again is worth the hassle.

Otherwise you have to keep water with you and constantly searching for fresh water sources.
2-3 waterskins or 1 water backpack or 1 bucket should do the trick.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:25 am »

You can drink muddy water if you're thirsty enough. Likewise, you can eat vermin or butcher sentients if you're hungry enough (or anytime if your ethics allow it.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 11:35:32 am »

>.>

Fill your waterskin with muddy water, move to a different tile, pour it out, see if it gives you the option to fill the waterskin with just water from the puddle, it often will. You can think of it as straining it through your shirt if you'd like.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 01:53:05 pm »

Fill your waterskin with muddy water, move to a different tile, pour it out, see if it gives you the option to fill the waterskin with just water from the puddle, it often will. You can think of it as straining it through your shirt if you'd like.

Even after years of playing there are always things you can learn.
Nice tip.

Question (a little bit off-topic):
Had anyone ever found something while searching with "L"?
I want to find some vermin for...science...but it's nowhere to be found. Are the creatures in all of my worlds too clean-living? Have they founded some exterminator-organisations? It's frustrating.

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:07:34 pm »

Check grass or mud tiles, you know, places were bugs live. As for the water, regular bags can hold 100 units of liquid and they don't weigh much, one maybe two bags of liquid should be good.

Notice how I say liquid and not water ;)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:09:45 pm by ClorrProdigal »

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 02:11:26 pm »

Check grass or mud tiles, ...

But it's a random percentage chance, right?
I ask, because I walked through an entire forest, hitting "L" at every step and nothing.
Maybe some elves lived there before...

Step

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2015, 04:54:16 pm »

I used to find massive swarms of critters with L (like, 30 beetles from just one tile) before, but I don't remember ever finding anything in 40.24. This could be a bug, or searching may now depend on something we use as a dump stat, like Analytical Ability or Patience.

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 06:40:02 pm »

...or searching may now depend on something we use as a dump stat, like Analytical Ability or Patience.

Have tested this and, exactly, it depends on Analytical Ability/Patience/Spatial Sense (you don't need all of them - one of these stats is sufficient).
Time to find me some slugs...

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:53 pm »

You can drink muddy water if you're thirsty enough. Likewise, you can eat vermin or butcher sentients if you're hungry enough (or anytime if your ethics allow it.)
Ever since 0.40 you're allowed to butcher sentients whenever you want, and before 0.40 you could only butcher them when starving regardless of ethics.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:48 pm »

Ever since 0.40 you're allowed to butcher sentients whenever you want, and before 0.40 you could only butcher them when starving regardless of ethics.
Can you butcher and eat sentients whenever in 0.40 even if it's against your ethics? I found I was able to do it as a custom megabeast in 0.40.13 and just assumed Toady changed it respect the raws.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 01:21:27 am »

Can you butcher and eat sentients whenever in 0.40 even if it's against your ethics? I found I was able to do it as a custom megabeast in 0.40.13 and just assumed Toady changed it respect the raws.
Yep, you can. I just killed a dwarf and started eating him. Sure, I had lion meat, but dwarves are tasty... I think it has to do with how they marinade themselves in Beer...
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »

One water skin is enough. Simply drink two units of water (or booze if you can get it), then dump the third on the floor. As long as you DO NOT MOVE you can immediately refill the water skin from the puddle.

Works every time :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: [1] 2