Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Why there is no DF Patreon?  (Read 15499 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why there is no DF Patreon?
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 02:18:14 am »

For now, we (you) don't know what the effect of this is.
Perhaps these 1800$ are mainly donation from people who already donated to DF, so it's more like a cannibalisation.
Of course, there is a reasonable chance that they will make more money with that than they did before. White & sea !

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 04:22:17 am »

I'm tempted to register a Patreon account. I typically donate at the "big" releases, so that might only be every couple of years or so. Just look at the monthly donation summary and you can see how up and down it is. An on-going Patreon would really take a lot of the uncertainty out of funding, so cannibalisation is no bad thing.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 06:03:33 am »

I'm tempted to register a Patreon account. I typically donate at the "big" releases, so that might only be every couple of years or so. Just look at the monthly donation summary and you can see how up and down it is. An on-going Patreon would really take a lot of the uncertainty out of funding, so cannibalisation is no bad thing.

I didn't say it was a bad thing. Just that this amount (1800$) doesn't mean anything for the next months, as monthly donation are around 3000$ most of the time with 5000, or 10 000 or more for big releases.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 08:35:12 am »

For now, we (you) don't know what the effect of this is.
Perhaps these 1800$ are mainly donation from people who already donated to DF, so it's more like a cannibalisation.
Of course, there is a reasonable chance that they will make substantially more money with that than they did before. White & sea !
Of course we don't know, but we can extrapolate based on other projects, and the overall income is likely to increase, with "peaks" (those normally corresponding to releases) now seeing a surge in one-time donations but also an increase in recurrent funding.

Quote from: RockPaperShotgun
It costs a lot of money to develop and distribute the beguiling dwarven strategy game, however
Is this actually true? I thought there was just a relatively small server cost and the living expenses of Toady and Three Toe, and since that goal is consistently met, additional funding is essentially thanking the Adams brothers by allowing them to live in comfort and security rather than in poverty, not anything directly related to development or distribution.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 08:58:13 am by Cruxador »

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 09:13:32 am »

I thought there was just a relatively small server cost and the living expenses of Toady and Three Toe, and since that goal is consistently met, additional funding is essentially thanking the Adams brothers by allowing them to live in comfort and security rather than in poverty, not anything directly related to development or distribution.

Two adults living off roughly $4k per month wouldn't be my definition of "comfort". God help them if they ever want to have families.

Anyway, Graham Smith, the RPS article writer, is a fan of DF and may have been putting his own spin on it to encourage donations. Frankly I'm spreading the word where I can. I actually signed up for the Patreon and it was relatively painless. Not in for a huge amount until I see how it works out. Threw a buck Peridexiserrant's way as well, as I use the Starter pack exclusively.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 10:01:08 am »

Two adults

And a cat. Don't forget Scamps.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:57 am »

I was under the impression that Zach still works a day job, but I could be wrong.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 11:36:59 am »

I thought there was just a relatively small server cost and the living expenses of Toady and Three Toe, and since that goal is consistently met, additional funding is essentially thanking the Adams brothers by allowing them to live in comfort and security rather than in poverty, not anything directly related to development or distribution.

Two adults living off roughly $4k per month wouldn't be my definition of "comfort". God help them if they ever want to have families.
A matter of perspective, I suppose. I spend quite a bit less than that and consider it comfortable, though, and from what is public of Toady's lifestyle, he isn't a man of particularly expensive vices either.

I was under the impression that Zach still works a day job, but I could be wrong.
I was under the impression that he lives with their parents, though I got that impression years ago.

Evrett33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 12:07:33 pm »

What I would like to know is if I donate money will I see more productivity and organization as a result.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
Re: Why there is on DF Patreon?
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 12:09:32 pm »

What the fook is a gelder?
Gelder, a person who performs animal castration.

Does this include gelder, too ?
Lets hope not.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:48 pm »

What I would like to know is if I donate money will I see more productivity and organization as a result.
There's no logical reason why that would happen. There isn't a money-related roadblock in Toady's workflow.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:18 pm »

But  if you donate money, you may be a bit surer Toady won't suddenly stop working on DF and become an accountant  :-\
One wheel short of a wagon

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »

Not sure productivity is really a problem.

Toady looked at hauling back in the day and implemented minecarts and physics for them.

Now he starts out talking about getting performers in taverns and so far we've got people throwing festivals while literally throwing the strings of their instruments (randomly of course), libraries, philosophical underpinnings, absurdly complicated systems to generate rules for absurdly complicated music and dance styles, and lord knows what else.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 06:25:12 pm »

There's no logical reason why that would happen. There isn't a money-related roadblock in Toady's workflow.
at least not while we keep up a reasonable amount of donations
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 05:46:44 am »

Not sure if already suggested:

What about (optional) contributor badges for forum members as additional reward? I think that whould boost the donations.

//: slightly offtopic:
I don't understand what the storyreward is.
Also I don't know how to receive an award, respectively how to choose one.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 05:57:55 am by Showbiz »
Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5