Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes  (Read 3338 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Rockfalls the (New) Depths of Volcanoes
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »

From the Journal of Kulet Arrosdodok:

I hope Feb gets better.  This is dangerous!  I'm going to tell the miners to go extra...

Oh!  The miners have finished their work.  I'd better tell them my design.

Malachite 20th:

Some migrants have arrived.

There's Ingish, a talented metalsmith, and also a gem setter and soaper.  He's seventy-six.  He has a square chin and straight, brown, short hair, neatly combed.  He has a very long, double braided beard.

He's slow to tire, but remarkably flimsy.

He likes serpentine, pig iron, clear zircon, giant cave spider silk, clouds, leggings, bracelets, and llamas for their "jutting teeth."  He likes to eat muck roots and drink mead and cow's milk.  He hates lizards.

He's not creative, has very bad intuition, and can't focus well.

He's calm, but he yells when he gets angry.  He likes other people and says nice things about them, as he truly treasures their company.  That'll be good in Rockfalls.  It'll be crowded, especially with more dwarves inside than intended.  He tends not to openly express emotions, though.  He's immodest and does the first thing that comes to mind.  He doesn't like to compromise and is occasionally given to procrastination.  He holds his breath when he's nervous, and when he gets excited, it's easy to tell because he drums his fingers.

He worships Kol Legononul Lalsazir, "Kol Wanderedwayward the South Bridge," who's associated with travelers.  There won't be much traveling in Rockfalls.

After Ingish came Kumil Adilirid, a competent swordsdwarf.  She's muscular, and has a square chin and a concave nose bridge.  Her hair is clean-shaven.

She's quite durable, strong, and rarely sick, but she's quick to tire.

She likes dolomite (sorry, wrong Rockfalls), steel, chrysoprase, candlenut wood, giant kiwi tooth (iiee, as Keb says), picks, bucklers, and water buffaloes for their "water wallowing."  She likes eating creeping eye and dwarven wheat flour, and drinking tuber beer.  She hates leeches, just like Keb.  I hope he gets better soon!

She has an iffy memory, a poor ability to manage or understand social relationships, and a large deficit of willpower.

She's reserved and relaxed, and tends to avoid crowds.  She's assertive, lives for risk and excitement, and is highly adventurous.  She loves new experiences and appreciates art and natural beauty.  She's open-minded to new ideas and is trusting.  She lacks confidence in herself.  She does the first thing that comes to mind, most often, and stretches out when she's thinking.

She'll be good at defending us.  Keb'll make her a buckler and - oh, wait, he can't.  She can get an obsidian sword, though!

Malachite 21st:

Yay!  He was conscious today, and got right back to work as soon as I got him a crutch.  With him on the mining team again, we'll go much faster!

Galena 16th:

Everybody's helping to haul the obsidian blocks the masons have been churning out to the Rockfalls site.  I finally get to build!

Limestone 6th:

Nomal gave birth to a boy.  She and As named him Vucar Uzolalmosh, which means Oilgleamed, for the look in his eye when he came out.  He's very skinny, with a very long brown beard.

He seems quite strong, and can just keep moving without tiring, but he seems a bit flimsy and clumsy.

He liked the microcline blocks his mother was close to when he was born.  He also liked the pebbles on the ground and the wool on the sheep next to him.

He hummed a nice-sounding tune, but couldn't remember it later.

He's very calm.  I think he liked the artwork on that bracelet Kulet made.  The farmer and now woodcrafter, not me!

Limestone 28th:

Cerol and I got stuck in Rockfalls.  Feb came and dug us out.

Sandstone 4th:

Kogan Tekkudzoluth.  That's what I've named my new cat.

Sandstone 20th:

Even more migrants came.

First was Cerol Amudducim, a high master fish dissector, novice thresher, and competent leatherworker.  He's sixty-two and weak.  He has a very long braided beard and short, neatly combed brown hair.

He's tough and slow to tire, but he's very weak.

He likes faint yellow diamond, the color green, boxes, and llamas for their "jutting teeth."  Again, please bring a female llama.  He liked drinking Longland beer.  He detests rats.

He has an amazing memory and a way with words, but he has a shortage of patience and a very clumsy kinesthetic sense.

He's nervous and extremely cautious.  He's quick to anger and doesn't like to compromise with others.  He's very friendly and sincere.  He is very active and open-minded to new ideas.  He's not very happy or enthusiastic most of the time.  He has a pet cavy, female.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following him is Iton Itebablel, a macedwarf.  She's sixty-seven and her hair is clean-shaven.  She's quick to tire.

She likes shale, nickel silver, duck leather, mail shirts, and rabbits for their ears.  She likes to drink gutter cruor.  She hates snails.

She can focus, but she's not very creative or patient and has very little linguistic ability.

She's nervous and doesn't take risks, but she can handle stress.  She's slow to anger.  She admires tradition and is resistant to change.  She appreciates art and natural beauty.

That is, apparently, all.  Why are more coming?  Do dwarves want safety so much?

Sandstone 21st:

Atir, the fishery worker, has claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop.  She has the aspect of one fey!

Sandstone 24th:

She's screaming about rock, rough gems, and bones.  She grabbed some hematite from the mines and went back for more.

Timber 1st:

Now she's got the bones from that yak we butchered a while ago and some rough gray chalcedonies.  She's working furiously on something.

I don't think we'll make it into Rockfalls before the year is over.  Perhaps in a year.

Timber 5th:

Atir's finished her creation.  It's a hematite ring.

OOC: I set the cap a year ago, and the migrants just keep on coming!  What do I do?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:40:10 pm by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 04:36:43 pm »

Timber 14th:

Just as a snow storm arrived, so did the dwarven caravan.  This year, we have many things to trade with them, carved by Cerol.

Timber 20th:

Atis traded some obsidian goods for some leather, food, drinks, clay, wood, and seeds.

Timber 23rd:

A goblin snatcher!  We'd better hurry!  Run away, Onul!  Stay back, Urdim!

Timber 24th:

Kumil drove the goblin off.  All the mothers worriedly checked for their children.  All safe and sound.  I'm telling all of the children to stay inside the mines.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:30:55 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 04:01:58 pm »

Oh, dear, I've lost a portion of my journal to the rain.  It's all smudged out.  It doesn't matter, I guess.

The most important thing I remember from this time was a goblin thief stealing Tholtig, I think.  Led was working so hard that she didn't even notice he was gone until it was too late.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:04:42 am by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 08:59:08 pm »

You know how I said I didn't want to change the names?

Scratch that.  You can ask for a dwarf if you want.

Also, you can just ignore this first part if you want.  It's crazy, and not written very well.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 10:06:20 am »

I've been thinking.  I want to write a book, when we get in there.  It'll have in it what happens during my lifetime, so ten generations later, they'll know what happened.  I might also include some history in it.

Oh, dear!  So much of my journal was worn away by the rain!  In that amount of time, we've gotten the first level finished, and we're excavating around the nearly-finished second level.  The third and fourth levels will be more difficult, as we'll have to floor it over, too, after digging out the stone floor.  We don't want it melting on us!

We almost ran out of booze, but the brewer brewed some more.  Now we're running out of plants, but I remembered that we were waiting to build farms until we were in Rockfalls.  We're moving in, folks!

Late Felsite:

As, our hammerdwarf. withdrew from society and grabbed some dog bones, some yak leather, some rough gray chalcedonies, a baguette cut sard, and some hematite.  He made a very good shield out of dog bone, with bands of yak leather and baguette cut sards around it, and spikes of hematite.  It has an image of a dwarf surrounded by dwarves in dog bone.  He says the dwarf is Reg Sealwonder, the first queen of the Trumpet of Sun.  It also has an image of two larches in gray chalcedony.

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat, expedition leader of the Gulf of Numbers:

Kulet's apparently a husband, married to Cerol Ducimedem, the stonecrafter.  She was part of the original wave.  She's also a mason, and inside Rockfalls, we'll definitely use her thresher, wood burner, lye maker, soaper, and presser skills.  The baby is named Ablel Tomuslikot.  He's very skinny, and has slate grey eyes, just like his parents.  He liked the mudstone he was born by, and is playing with a cat right now.  Cerol just got him a drink of Longland beer, and he really liked it.  He seems very calm, but doesn't seem to like crowds.  He seems to do the first thing he thinks of, deciding quickly.  He has a good spatial and creative sense.  I saw him stacking some obsidian blocks in a neat way.  Kulet was making them as his wife gave birth, and gave them to Ablel.

Galena 20th:

A kobold almost got away with Belalertal, the "Famous Luxuries," the hematite ring, but he was intercepted by a human swordsman accompanying the caravan that just came.  Phew!  I tell everybody to haul all the non-wood, non-stone, and non-gem items inside Rockfalls, in a random place.  We'll have time to sort it later.

Galena 24th:

A goblin snatcher came and was jumped on by our militia, finally being stabbed in the head and killed.

An ambush!  Curse them!  I knew we should have gone faster!  The humans say they'll help us.  There's six swordsmen and one lasher.  Get out of there, Atis!

We were nearly done for, but the humans came and saved us.  Cerol, the wrestler, still died, though.  He loved Iton, and she's unhappy.  That's it, I'm getting us all in within the year, hopefully sooner.  We're almost done with the last inhabitable level, but the inside's not excavated.  We'll mine it out once we're safely inside.

That's it, we're done with this level.  Now we've just got to excavate the last one, build obsidian pillars to keep us up, and haul everything in.  It's autumn now, so we've got six months.

Atis traded with the humans.  We had too much obsidian junk (crafts and mugs and instruments and such), so we traded them for tons of meat, plants, and booze.

Limestone 9th:

Another damn goblin came, but it didn't steal any babies, and our militia was incapacitated, so we just watched it warily as it ran off.  It looks like our militia was a one-use-only item.

Another one came, but this one is a "master" thief.  It's run into a human lasher.  The human chased it all over, but it escaped.  Pity.  It had some cool junk.

Limestone 19th:

Nomal's looking kind of weird.  She's got a strange look in her eye and is speaking with a voice that's not her own.  She's muttering about stone and metal bars.

Now she's grabbed a chunk of obsidian and some aluminum bars from the humans and is working on something while muttering "Dakasgovos..."

Limestone 20th:

She's made an obsidian earring.  It's studded with aluminum and has spikes of obsidian.  Atis values it as being worth fifty-five thousand and two hundred coin.  That's such a big number, I can't even imagine what it could buy.  Nomal looks fine now.  Apparently, Dakasgovos means "Colorleaves."  That's all she can remember from yesterday.  She's quite pleased with herself, e'en if she didn't know what she was doing.  That's fine, we've got a great stonecrafter a'ready.

Wha's that?  I'm "transcribin' me accent?"  Nonsense.

I'm doin' a survey of the happiness o' everyone.  Some dwarves're looking kinda' unhappy.

Ushat Kolokol: Quite Content

Vutok Likoteral: Quite Content

Feb Oltarkat (That's me!): Quite Content

Monom Imeshber: Fine

Zasit Ibeshavus: Fine

Kulet Arrododok (Me buddy!): Ecstatic (he's got a new pet and a new son , and he's bin workin' hard on Rockfalls)

Ingish Zefonginet: Quite Content

Led Tangathoddom: Happy (She's drunk a lot o' fisher berry wine, which she likes, and she's mastered operating Kulet's furnace.)

Ingish Zefonginet: Quite Content

As Tanzuntir: Ecstatic (Hi' wife gave birth ta' Uzol recently, strong little girl, bu' always angry yet cheerful)

Cerol Ducimedem: Ecstatic (She gave birth to Ablel, son of Kulet)

Atir Rigothes: Unhappy (She was a good friend o' Cerol's)

Rigoth Cattengur: Unhappy (She was also a friend o' Cerol's, and she had to haul one o' the other militiadwarves to bed)

Kulet Lenshamalath: Quite Content

Onul Ralsanad: Quite Content

Nomal Fikodikud: Ecstatic (she made that cool earring today)

Fikod Nethrigoth: Fine (She was a friend o' Cerol's, and was accosted by "those 'orrible 'amsters!  Went right up to me, they did!", but she also's had a lot of sewer brew lately.  You know, she likes raw adamantine, adamantine, the color blue, and bucklers.  Perhaps elsewhere, she'd be an armorsmith working with the ore of legends.)

Atis Erithmesir: Fine

Kumil Adilirid, militia commander and swordsdwarf: Fine (she's gone through a lot, losing her friend, sustaining major injuries, but she was rescued, given food and water, and was able to rest and recuperate, and Lolor, the five-year-old daughter of Led and Kulet the Farmer, talked with her while she was resting.  She also took joy in slaughtering the goblin that fractured her right hand.

Iton Itebablel Okon Dalem (she's been called that, the Burden of Incidents, since she lost her lover in the recent goblin incident): Fine.  She's sustained major injuries and lost a lover to tragedy, but she was rescued and admired the bed she was resting on.  She can handle stress, so that makes sense.  Poor dwarf, she's getting used to tragedy.

Alath Gadandodok, six-year-old child: Fine.  He was friends with Cerol.  He can understand death now.  Poor dwarf.

Lolor Vutramalath, five-year-old child: Fine.  She was also friends with Cerol.

Kadol Egathtulon, six-year-old child: Quite Content.  He's very fond of his new sister, Uzol.  Fr. w/ Cerol.

Urdim Asthunen, five-year-old: Ecstatic.  He didn't know Cerol very well, and is also fond of Uzol, his new sister.

Vucar Uzolalmosh, one-year-old: He seems ecstatic.  He likes playing with Uzol.

Ablel Tomuslikot, baby: Seems quite content, but didn't like the rain.

Uzol Komanas, baby:  Didn't like the rain, but seems quite content.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rigoth, please don't do anything due to your unhappiness but ask for consolation and work on Rockfalls even harder.  Cerol wasn't your lover.  Iton loved him, and she's still fine, although she seems to be staying in her shell even more than usual.

Atir, too.  Please talk with Kulet.  He's a good consoler.

The masons have finished building the seven pillars to support us.  I asked them to triple-check them, and they did.  I don't want this all going down.

Sandstone 5th, 258:

It's done!  Rockfalls the New Depths of Volcanoes has been completely...  wait...

DAMMIT!  We've still got to put obsidian floors on the bottom layer...  wait for it...

And that's where I told everyone to put the stone.

Moonstone 1st:

We've got all the stone and logs moved inside, and we're working on constructing the workshop level.  It's more than halfway done, so we should be able to lock ourselves in by the end of spring, if not the beginning.  Some kobolds showed up and were chased off by the cats.

Moonstone 8th:

Rakus Nanirzuntir, the outpost liaison, met with me.  He wished me good luck and assured me that the caravan would come next year in case we didn't get locked up in time.

Moonstone 26th:

Kumil Adilirid, the militia commander and swordsdwarf, got a strange look in her eye, as if she were fey.  She grabbed some goblin bone, Zolak Ngamstasost's right upper arm bone [2], to be exact.  It's not Cerol's killer, though.  Ushat butchered a stray dog for her, as there were no more bones to be found.  She ran over and grabbed six of them.  She also got some rough pyrites, some imported echidna leather from the dwarven traders, and some obsidian blocks.

Opal 12th:

Kumil made a pickaxe from the bones of that goblin.  She's named it the "Abyssal Strike", after the strike of the silver scimitar that killed Cerol.  We've made a slab for him, in honor of his sacrifice.  Kulet made the slab and Zasit engraved the following on it:

"In memory of Cerol Amudducim / Bled to death, slain by the goblin Ber Baitedticks with a silver scimitar in the Second Attempted Abduction at Rockfalls the New Depths of Volcanoes in the year 258 / United with rhyolite."

Anyway, that goblin bone pick is encrusted with point cut pyrites, decorated with echidna leather, and is encircled with bands of goblin bone and dog bone.  It menaces with spikes of obsidian.

Cool.

Granite 1st:

Spring has come, but we're still not in.  I tell everyone that we're sealing ourselves in before this season is over, no matter what.  I don't want any more deaths.  I'm going out to cut some wood.  I've ordered every single outside workshop deconstructed, except for the trade depot, so nobody gets any ideas about claiming a workshop outside and working on something through the deadline.

Slate 2nd:

I must...  Yes...  *quietly runs to mason's shop*

*grabs obsidian*

*makes sketches*

*makes sketches of bones*

Feb was acting weird and making sketches of skeletons, so I asked Ushat to butcher a goat.  He said he would do it as soon as he finished installing some bees in his hives.

I'm almost done with my magma pumping machine.

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat:

Yes!  Bones!  Just what I needed!  *whispers ideas*

I need gold... or silver...  Electrum!

Now I need cut gems...  And leather...

I can get some jelly opals from the depot, and some mule leather from the stockpiles...

I need more bones...  Yes... dog bones...  and some rough pyrites...

I have what I need!  *works secretly*

Slate 14th:

Yes!  I have made a bed of obsidian.  I name you the Fortification of Artifice!  I am very pleased with myself.

It's very good, if I do say so myself.  It's encircled with bands of cushion obsidian cabochons and dog bone.  It's adorned with hanging rings of electrum and jelly opal and menaces with spikes of obsidian.  On the sides, of course, and on the head board.  It's cushioned with mule leather, and the ends of the leather cushion have spikes on them, because why not!?  Spikes are awesome!  It has an image of a dwarf on it in obsidian, and there's an image of a tunic in goat bone.  It has a big baguette cut pyrite in the center of the headboard.

I named it the Fortification of Artifice, because the pyrite looks like gold, but isn't.  It's surrounded by gold and silver, which are the real thing.  It's symbolic... of something.

Felsite 19th:

NOT AGAIN!  The masons still aren't quite done with the bottom level, as they've also been working on the commons.

The elves came, and ran into a goblin thief.  We've got to get inside!  Now!  Hurry!

Kulet says he's done with the magma pumping machine.  We have over three hundred logs inside, and - OH NO NOT AGAIN!  We haven't found the caverns yet!

Wow, that was quick!  Ushat ran down there, and six meters in, found the caverns.  It turns out that we bypassed the caverns through a pillar that runs through two caverns.  I guess the same thing happened for the third one.  Hurry, find the next caverns!  We need as many spores as we can get!

The second cavern was very flat, and had a magma pipe.

The third was a humongous chasm.  Be careful!  Don't fall off, Ushat!

We stole some stuff from the elves, lots of plants and booze and flour and useful stuff and junk.  The junk had pictures of snakes and elves and clouds on them, or they were just "artifacts" of craftelfship.  Hundreds of years from now, kids will look at the worn earrings and splints and say, "Wow.  So that's what a cloud looks like."  I told that to the elves.  They didn't appreciate it.  Sorry, but we didn't plan on trading with you, and you're elves!  You're so wimpy, you don't even fight back!

It'll take past spring to haul all the stuff in, but we aren't done building yet.  We might as well make use of the last contact we'll have with the outside world.  We just might see the humans, but we won't trade with them, if my calculations hold.

Felsite 25th:

An ambush has sprung from... ambush!  Near Nomal and her baby, Uzol!  Save them!

Kumil and Iton jumped out of Rockfalls.  Kumil shattered the swordsman's left hand with her obsidian short sword, making the goblin drop her sword.  I bet Kumil's better than this swordsman any day!  The problem is the five lashers.

Iton bashed the swordsman in the right foot, jamming the bone and shattering it.  She immediately kicked her left hand, before she fell down.  Then Iton started bashing her lower body while Kumil attacked her unarmored body parts.

Good!  Iton bashed her right arm, making her drop her shield, then she passed out from exhaustion, and Iton immediately bashed her head in.  One down, five to go, no injuries yet.

Apparently, our militia's technique is to incapacitate the enemy by bashing or slashing their arms, then bashing their legs in, then just beating on them until they collapse.  Then they can be instantly killed.

That's two down, four to go.  All of them are in a position where they cannot corner anybody.  Hurry up, haulers and masons!

And another lasher's dead!

Dammit!  Kumil's dead!  She passed out, then was lashed in the brain!  Iton's unconscious by the trade depot!  Her left foot is broken, cut open, and bruised, and her left ankle is broken and bruised.

"I'm going to put it straight to you," I quickly told everyone.  "We're going to have to either hold the entrance or leave Iton to die."

It was agreed that Iton should not die, so everyone ran for weapons.  Just three lashers.  This should be doable.

I ran at the lasher that had lashed Iton's foot, hoping that she had injured her somewhat, but she lashed my hand.  Everybody!  Hold the line!

Rigoth ran at the fat one.  She got lashed in the right hand, and for a second I worried for her life, but she just shook off the bruise like it was nothing.  She's certainly very tough, and she's got an iron will.  Then she slashed his right foot and stabbed him in the right lower arm, making him drop his iron whip.  Good job!  She twisted her copper sword around in his arm - oh, no!  Another goblin lashed her in the head!  Oh, god, I hope this is a nightmare, I hope this is -

*swirls, then a sucking noise, than nothing*

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat, Granite 1st:

AAAAAAAAAAAA - Huh?  Phew, it was all just a dream.  Or was it?  Was it a sign from Taron that we need to use Rockfalls for what it was intended: safety?  Regardless, I'm going out to chop logs for the next month, then everyone's going in.  I don't care if the bottom floor isn't done yet, it'll be safe enough.  We can deconstruct the down stairs, making it impossible for anyone but a flier to get in through the holes in the bottom.  Everybody!  Now!

Granite 28th:

We've got six hundred and five logs stored, and many more on the way.  I've clear-cut the forest for miles around.  The masons have finished the bottom level, and they're nearly halfway done with the bedrooms.  After that's just the dining room and coffin space.

Slate 16th:

Except for the coffin space, we're ready to go!  I'm excited and relieved.  Finally, all that we've worked for is coming to a conclusion!  The end of the first chapter of Rockfalls's history.  Kulet says he's ready to go.  I tell everyone to keep their pets restrained, and order everyone but Kulet inside Rockfalls.

Vutok!  Get out of there!  Stop sleeping in the magma basin!

I told her there was mining to do, and there was.  I had overlooked the west dormitories, but it's all right.  We can do it later.  We've got to get inside.  Vutok got right back up.

Kulet's fiddling with his machine.  I tell him, no worries, but could he hurry?

Cerol suddenly shouted "I've got it!" and ran to the craftsdwarf's shop.  I think she's working on some sort of craft.  She sure did make a ton of those.

Felsite 3rd:

Kulet said he was done, so we took down the bridge and the last of the scaffolding and put up a wall.

It's done.

I can hear the magma gushing into the pit.

I...

This is just so good.

Safe.  Finally safe.

*df goes crash*

DAMMIT!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:22:17 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:12 pm »

From the Journal of Feb Oltarkat, expedition leader of the Gulf of Numbers:

Granite 1st:

I have a feeling that the goblins will come soon.  I ask Kulet to hurry up his work with his magma pumping machine.

Granite 16th:

The workshop space is done, and the caverns have been breached and walled off with some defective holey blocks.  I think that once we get the wood inside, we should wall off the entrance.  We've only waited thus far because the workshop level cannot have any holes in it, ever.  Its floor is right next to the magma.  It's quite possible to have open scaffolding inside of Rockfalls when we seal it off.

Slate 21st:

We have put as much wood into Rockfalls as there used to be throughout the entire forest.  That should last us for, say, ten thousand years, as long as we conserve.  That's important, we should teach our kids the importance of tradition and conservation.  Kulet says he's ready to go.  I tell everyone to haul the gems inside.

Felsite 4th:

Kulet pulls the bridge down and pulls the lever.  We hurriedly wall off the opening.  I get my last glimpse of the sky.

It is blue.

END OF PART ONE
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:05:10 am by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 11:10:01 am »

The Book of Rockfalls

By Kulet Arrosdodok, with writings by, frankly, everybody

Introduction:

So, you know how I said I might write a book?  In the journal before this in the archive bookshelf?

Well, this is it.

I am recording all the happenings in Rockfalls from today, Felsite 8th, 259, until my death or incapacitation, in which case the authorship shall be transferred to a previously chosen heir.

In this book will also be pages from the journal of the other inhabitants of Rockfalls, all twenty-six of them.  This is to provide many different points of view.  It is important for people to know their history.

But first, a brief history of the foundation of Rockfalls.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:08:07 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 03:07:45 pm »

In the early spring of 256, the Gulf of Numbers founded Rockfalls the New Depths of Volcanoes, attempting to find safety in a dangerous world.  I, Kulet Arrosdodok, was the architect of Rockfalls, designing the structure and the magma pumping and extracting devices.  There were many struggles and hardships, but the Gulf of Numbers survived through famines, droughts, and goblin ambushes.  We had planned to be done by the winter of 257, but we finished over a year later, in the spring of 259.  We sealed ourselves in on the 8th of Felsite, 259.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockfalls's main design is four rectangular levels, above and beneath each other, with two small rooms to the north and south of each level.  The bottom level is the industry level, with workshops and stockpiles in small rooms.  To the south is the magma extraction machine, a magma forge, a magma glassworks, and a magma kiln.  To the north is the water storage for the hospital above and the archives, containing dwarven, elven, and human work, these books, and more.  Unfortunately, we did not label the imported goods as elven, human, or dwarf-made, and some of them could be either, as all the races work with wood, and both humans and dwarves work with metal.  They have some pretty pictures, though, pictures of clouds and robes and berries and cows and narrow crescents and sweet pods and trees and elves and catapults and coffins.

The next level is the commons and dining and bedrooms level, with room for coffins and slabs for the dwarves who die of old age in Rockfalls.  It has a hospital on the north, and the south will house metal bars and tools.

After that is the subterranean farmland.  It will also possible provide us with a slow supply of tree-like fungi.  This could also be an emergency pasture for the grazing animals.  To the south is the temporary graveyard, which will become food storage soon.  To the south is the composting area, where our refuse will be turned into loamy soil for our crops.

The top floor is the gardens, and currently houses the farming workshops, such as the butcher's shop and the tanner's.  The south and north are currently unused, but they will probably be used for either workshops or storage.  This is where the grazing animals are kept, and the bees are also in that area, although they will probably be moved to the north section eventually.

Kulet's Log:

Felsite 8th:

I took down the scaffolding and bridges connecting us to the ground, and pulled the lever.  Cerol and I hurriedly put up a thick wall as the magma began to gush out beneath us.

Feb stood up and called for everyone's attention.

"First of all, I would like to thank all of you for coming to Rockfalls and helping us construct this most safe fortress.  Even if you didn't cut blocks, lay the foundations, or mine out the surrounding space, you kept us fed, or operated the magma extracting machine when Kulet was too busy with construction, or you brewed alcohol for us, or you traded with the humans and the dwarves, getting us a good deal, or you hauled out the blocks to the construction site.  Even the children helped knock down some scaffolding.  I assure you that getting sealed in here was the best decision you could have possibly made.  While the goblins fight above us, you need not fear the goblins.  Never again!

Second of all, there is still much work to be done.  The individual bedrooms are not constructed yet, and since a collapse would be deadly, work will proceed slowly.  As for the rest of you, we hurriedly moved everything inside this spring.  The gems and metal bars need to be moved to their piles, and this food needs to be put inside the top south side room.  Workshops need to be made on the bottom level, and we need to sort out all these animals and pen the birds inside the top north side room.  Nest boxes need to be crafted eventually."

The walls get warmer and warmer, even up where we are.  I'm sure that my engineering means that we're safe, though.  We'll just be a bit toasty.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 03:47:02 pm »

Ushat Kolokol:

Kulet told me to write down my history here, so that's what I'll do.

I was born in the Plains of Winds in the year 187.  My parents were farmers.  I decided, since I was so slow to tire, that I'd become a miner.  I was a bit messy, but I could mine and mine for hours on end.  I became friends with Feb, and he had read the stories about Rockfalls from the recovered journals.  Everyone just mysteriously disappeared, but there had been some trouble before that.  Something to do with a lack of wood, and someone nicknamed "Formite" going crazy.  Well, Feb made sure we'd have a lack of lack of...  Tons of wood, is what I meant.  He and Kulet convinced me that I should come and help.

What's that?  I should write about myself?  Oh.  You mean not my history, but my attributes and such?

I'm not quick to trust people, but Kulet says he won't let just anyone read it if I don't want.  Besides, out of the twenty-six dwarves here, eighteen are my friends.  I'm pretty good at reading emotions, and nobody's judgmental to me, as far as I can see.  Four of the remaining are good acquaintances of mine, so that just leaves four dwarves who I can't trust yet.  I'm a bit self-conscious, though.

Well, some people think I'm lazy, but I'm not.  I'm just disorganized.  I forget that I need to pick something up, and it just lies there.  I also overindulge occasionally, and I can't handle stress well.  Everyone has their faults.

I'm romantically involved with Onul, the mason.  She's so strong, calm, and slow to tire.  She, unlike me, can handle large amounts of stress.  She's so relaxed.

I'm still corpulent, despite my hard work mining out this place.  I have dry, brown hair, a braided beard, and neatly-combed medium-length hair.  I have dark brown skin.

As I said, I'm slow to tire, but I'm also quite durable and almost never sick.  I'm slow to heal, though.

I like slade.  I know, it's just a legend, but I like it.  It's strong and heavy.  I also like zinc and rhodolite.  In case you didn't know, rhodolite is a type of gemstone.  It's a transparent type of garnet, and it's rose-pink to red.  I also like yaks and grackles.  Both are from the Plains of Wind.  I can almost feel the shaggy hair of the yaks on the farm and the raucous calls of the grackles that could sit in the trees around the farm.  My favorite food?  I don't know, nothing's particularly good.  Oh, alcohol?  Whip wine, from whip vines.  I haven't gotten a lot of it, though, it was just from a wine table at a party.

Well, I'm off to help dig out the stone still left in the commons level.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:50:15 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 04:49:40 pm »

OOC: If you like this, please post!  I'd gladly accept any help.

Vutok Likoteral:

I, um, I...  What do I put here?  Stuff about myself?  Okay?

I was born in the northern forests in 180, by the sea.  I, er, like the shells of the pond turtles there, but I hated the oysters.  I always thought they were going to snap open and eat me.

My parents?  My mother was away a lot.  She was a carpenter, and was always going off to build things for people.  My father watched me.  He was a fisherdwarf, and he gave me the shells of the turtles he caught.  I din't craft with 'm, though.  I just collected them.  It's a shame I din't bring 'ny of 'm in here.

When I grew up, I took to weaving and clothes-making.  I also did some dying.  I made clothing for myself and my parents, but I wasn't extremely good.  I guess that's what I'll do in here.

When I moved to the mountainhomes, I was told that they imported most of their clothing from the other cities, so I took up mining.  I thought it would make me stronger.

Me?  Well, I'm tough and slow to tire.  I'm clumsy and weak and I don't heal well.

What do I like?  I, er...  People tease me, but I like the magical blue ore of legends.  I also like pink jade, which is a gemstone, and tin.  I like picks, which might have affected my career choice.  I also like earrings.  My father did a bit of bonecarving and made one for me out of pond turtle shell once, but someone stole it from me.  I also like penguins, because they waddle, like me.  I saw a big spiky disc once, and I liked that too.  Is that enough?

Oh, I like to drink mead.  Sometimes my father would catch a huge barracuda, and I liked that.

My mind?  Oh, I have a good memory, I think.  People say I'm not good with intuition or empathy or relationships, and I suppose I'm a bit lost with all of that.  They also say I'm not that smart and I don't have a strong will.  I'm not sure where it stops being the truth and stops being teasing.  Onul teases me.  I don't really like her.

Which gods do I worship?  Well, there's Taron, the god of strength, and then there's Odur Gongith Etol, the god of the seasons.  I'm not very religious, but I hope Taron will help me be strong.

I'm discouraged often, and people say I'm rather modest about myself.  I'm cheerful, despite all the things about me.  I don't really talk to people much, but I'm very trusting.  I'm not always sure how I feel.  I don't really care about art.

Why am I here?  Well, Feb and Kulet were very nice, so we were friends, and then they said they needed another miner, so I came with them.  I almost didn't come, because Onul teased me and said I wouldn't be any help, but Feb stopped her.

I have to go and mine out some stone now, but - what's that, Kulet?  I should write about how I feel about being in Rockfalls?  I don't know.  I said I don't know my feelings very well.  I don't mind the weather and sky, but I'm fine being beneath the ground, too.  The magma heats up the stone and makes it glow slightly, especially on the bottom level.  I think this'll be good.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2015, 08:46:56 am »

Monom Imeshber:

Hi!  I'm Monom, the carpenter.  I'm just a novice in carpentry, and I dabbled in gem cutting once, but I used to be the outpost liaison of the Trumpet of Sun.  I don't suppose either of my skills will be of much use here, but there's not many things to be done!  After all the initial hauling, at least.

I'm middle-aged.  I'm eighty-two, and my hair has a touch of gray going through the brown.  I'm a bit fat.

I was born in a fortress at the southwestern borders, and goblins would come frequently.  I had to defend myself from goblins that infiltrated the shoddy defenses.  I didn't like that, but I became a novice fighter, biter, and dodger.  I left as soon as I could.  I wasn't particularly close to my parents.

I took up carpentry in the mountainhomes, but mostly I partied.  I'm good at persuading, negotiating, judging intent, lying, intimidating, making conversation, comedy, flattering, consoling, and pacifying.  I was sometimes the broker's assistant.  I became the outpost liaison of the Trumpet of Sun, but I left that to join here because I had heard about the goblins coming closer.  In addition, I was going to be replaced soon.

What do I like?  Well, I like rose gold.  We've got two bars of rose gold in here, so that's good.  I also like kimberlite, which is an igneous rock sometimes containing diamonds, and dendritic agate, and crystal glass.  Isn't crystal glass so cool?  Earrings are cool, as is the color lilac, and spiky balls, and tortoiseshell.

Oh, what do I like to eat?  Well, rock nut oil's always good.  We'll have some of that in here, we've got to, it's a dwarven fort.  It's got to have quarry bushes.  Well, I know for sure we'll have no sunshine.  Ah, well, at least no purring maggots in here!  Cows and goats are much better.

I'm very good with intuition and relationships and patience, but I'm not very empathetic.  I have an iron will, if I do say so myself, and self-disciplined.  I have an iffy sense for music and I forget things.

I'm slow to anger and very friendly.  I don't tend to openly express my emotions, but with friends I'm much more open.  Isn't that how all dwarves are towards outsiders?

My habits and quirks?  Well, I blow my breath out when I'm annoyed.  That good?

Well, I'm off to go haul gems.  I'm not sure how to wedge any more gems into that pile without them all falling down.  I think we need bins, but Feb says I shouldn't make bins.  'S fine, but what are we going to do?

From the Log of Kulet Arrosdodok:

As Monom said, we're running out of bins.  I think I should show Led how to operate the magma extractor the way it was meant to be used: for extracting common metals, such as copper.

Ah, that's the way!  Just make sure you let it cool.  Here, I'll take that.  Ingish, can you make some bins?

That's it, Vutok, weave that silk.  Our clothing's getting worn.  Onul should plant some pig tails.

Hematite 5th:

Feb's been possessed!  He's claimed the mason's shop and is muttering "Igameshom Lensham Okab needs bars... metal...  stone... rock...  cloth... thread..."  He's grabbed three chunks of obsidian, some electrum bars, and some rope reed fiber cloth.

Hematite 7th:

He's begun work, and keeps muttering "Igameshom Lensham Okab..."  I'm a bit worried about him.

Hematite 11th:

Feb's made an obsidian coffin.  He calls it "Gorgedsilence the Den of Breaking."  He says he doesn't know what that means, either.  It is encrusted with rectangular obsidian cabochons, studded with electrum, and encircled with bands of oval obsidian cabochons.  It menaces with spikes of obsidian.  There's an image of a ring in rope reed fiber, which we think is the Famous Luxuries, the ring that Atir made.  Iton says it's worth over 40 thousand coin.  Feb seems pretty happy.  He says he doesn't feel any more skilled, but he's a legendary miner, anyway.

Hematite 13th:

Nomal gave birth to a baby girl.  She and As named her Vucar.  She's cute and pudgy, with crinkly brown hair.  She liked the pig tail fabric she was wrapped in and the sewer brew Nomal gave her.  She hummed happily.  She doesn't really interact much with people, and she seems very confident.

Why will nobody touch the gems?...  Oh, the workshop is blocking it.  Oh, dear!  Oh!  I know what to do!  Put the workshop where the gems are now, just switch them!  No magma floods needed.

Iton's kind of grumpy.  Onul's okay, but Iton's got a grudge with at least five people.  Ah, well, I guess she's allowed to be grumpy after her lover died.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:07:32 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2015, 08:53:23 pm »

From the Log of Kulet Arrosdodok:

Hematite 8:

My wife, Cerol, just gave birth to a baby boy!  Oh, he's so cute!  He's pudgy, with slate grey eyes.

I, of course, being the good father and scientist/engineer that I was, decided to show him several things, to see if he liked them.  He liked the bar of bismuth that I gave him, and the rough morion, and the log of pine wood, and the goat I showed him.  I gave him a sip of dwarven rum, and he liked that.  I also showed him a picture of a snail, but he babbled in a scared sort of way and stuck his face in my beard.

He's a bit clumsy, but very relaxed.

On a related note, it's Ablel's birthday soon!  He's my eldest son.  He decided he wanted some clothing, so he went over and grabbed a worn elk bird leather dress, two worn llama wool socks, a worn pig tail fiber robe, a pair of worn giant cave spider silk trousers, a worn giant cave spider silk cloak, and a worn donkey leather hood.  That reminds me, I need to make sure we make some clothing for everybody.  Did you know that he also likes cats?  He has three male cats.  I have two female and four male.

Ablel's slow to tire and quick to heal.  He likes cats, mudstone, rope reed fiber fabric, and Longland beer.  He also detests snails.  Hmm.  I've got to investigate that.  Humanely, of course.  Ablel's calm and tends to avoid crowds.

I asked my wife to make some green glass pots, and she agreed.  She liked art and natural beauty, so maybe she'll like making fine pots.

Led's on break.  Now what'll we do for bins?  Oh, good, she's doing it again.

Galena 5th:

Rigoth Cattengur and Ingish Zefonginet have married.  Congratulations!  They have decided to forego any formal celebrations.

We're still working on the residential area.  Part of the trouble is that it's still littered with gems, even though everyone's been pitching in hauling them to the gem stockpile for months.

Sandstone 12th:

Iton was just possessed.  She ran over to the craftsdwarf's shop and is muttering "Sodothor needs leather... skin...  blocks... bricks...  gems... shining..." and stuff like that.  She grabbed some bones from a kitten (so sad!  who did that?) and some stray sow and dog bone.  Now she's got some rough pipe opals and some rough pink tourmalines.  More rough pink tourmalines.  Now some mica blocks.  Now some mule leather.  Now some marquise cut jelly opals.  Now some nickel bars.  She's muttering "Sodothor" while working on it.

Sandstone 25th:

Iton's made a cat bone figurine of dwarves.  It has a masterfully designed image of dwarves traveling, relating to the founding of Rockfalls!  I bet that one's me.  It is encrusted with square cut pink tourmalines and decorated with pig bone.  It menaces with spikes of cat bone, pipe opal, mule leather, jelly opal, and nickel.

It has an image of a bronze colossus on it in dog bone, laboring.  Silly Iton, bronze collosi don't labor!  They smash dwarves heads!  It also has a picture of an ettin, still laboring.  It has a picture of a cacao tree in mica.  Hmm...

Well, Iton certainly seems much more happy, now!

Opal 2nd:

The merchants said they'd come at about this time.  I hope they'll realize that the pit of magma means that we don't need them.

I celebrate the opening of the dining hall, still very small and surrounded by scaffolding, by eating some prepared blue peafowl intestines there.

Opal 20th:

Ah, the residential level is coming along nicely.  We're almost done with the east half of the bedrooms.

Obsidian 4th:

Look, it's Obsidian!  The best month of the year!

Ushat says we have too many animals.  There's not enough grass for them.  I agree; they've bred fast.  Too fast.  Ushat's going to slaughter most of them.  He says he still remembers how to do it from his childhood.  Nomal's rendering their fat.

Transcript of my Conversation with Nomal Fikodikud:

Me: "So, how are you, Nomal?"

Nomal: "Happy.  I've made some friends, ate some pretty good meals in a great dining hall (thanks!), and talked with As.  I've been working hard at this kitchen, too.  I like being active.  I can't wait til I can start cooking, so I can make something with quality and excellence."

Me: "So, are there any problems?"

Nomal: "Well, there's a lot of noise while I was sleeping, but I guess that's inevitable.  Also, there aren't enough chairs in the dining hall."

Me: "I'll make sure we hurry up the construction and make some more chairs."

Nomal: "Thanks!"

Me: "I've got to go.  Bye!"

Obsidian 6th:

My clothing is old!  So worn out!  Threadbare!  And flies!  Oh, hi, Kubuk!  How are you?  Who's a good cat?  Hi, Adil!  So fluffy!

Granite 1st:

We had a big party last night, celebrating the first new year's eve inside Rockfalls.  This morning, we found our only drake die of old age!  Oh, dear, we'd better set up nest boxes so we don't lose the other breeding pairs.

With all of these people bustling around, the fortress really feels like home.

My wife made a masterful obsidian nest box!  It look great!

Slate 10th:

Onul's been possessed.  She grabbed some obsidian, some tin bars, some dog leather, some ash logs, some goat bone, some silver bars, some oval cut chalcedonies, and some llama wool cloth.

Slate 17th:

Onul made... a millstone.  An obsidian millstone.  Come on, we're inside a magma pipe!  We aren't going to have any mills!  Well, it certainly looks pretty.  It's studded with silver, decorated with ash, and encircled with bands of oval obsidian cabochons, tin, goat bone, and llama wool.  It menaces with spikes of gray chalcedony.

On the item is an image of a cyclops in obsidian.  On the item is an image of Colorleaves the obsidian earring in obsidian.  There!  That makes sense!  Obsidian earring, represented with obsidian!  It has an image of two cushion cabochons in dog leather.

Felsite 11th:

The elves should be arriving right about now.  Heh.  The look on their faces when they see the forest gone...  Oh, wait, they already saw that last year.  Heh.  Again...

Felsite 25th:

Some of the children have taken to playing on the scaffolding.  I hope they don't get hurt.

Hematite 1st, 260:

There are still over 150 animals.  They're breeding almost as fast as we can butcher them.  Take back Rockfalls!  Take back Rockfalls from the animals!  They'll die, soon, anyway, if they outgrow what the grass can grow back for them.  Just joking, by the way.

Hematite 13th:

Vucar, the daughter of Nomal and As, decided she wanted to run off and get some clothing while her mother was asleep.

Hematite 28th:

Onul keeps on complaining about people taking her seeds away.  She's complained to me seven times in the last two days.

Malachite 1st:

Now Kulet the Farmer's doing it, too.

Malachite 14th:

I asked As to help out milking, making cheese, shearing, spinning, and such.  He agreed, as there wasn't much for a hammerdwarf and bonecarver to do inside here, where there's no enemies and no traders.  He's always trusting and open to new experiences.  He's a good friend of mine.

Malachite 18th:

Atir says she couldn't give somebody water because there wasn't a water source.  Nobody's dehydrated!  Why would anybody need water?!  She's right, though; there isn't a water source available for now.  It's cut off from the rest of the fortress because Feb mined it out before I could tell him we were out of blocks.  We've made more, now, but I forgot to floor that over again.  Thanks, Atir.  Oh, and you're in love with Feb?  Cool.

I'm...  She's okay, but she's guarded in relationships with others, would rather intimidate others than compromise with them, and she hates confining elements.  Well, the expedition leader rarely confines anybody.  She's also very good with relationships and reading emotions and talking and spatial sense and music and patience and willpower and

Whew.  That's all I've found.

Malachite 24th:

As soon as I put down the block connecting us to the well, everybody swarmed me.  Huh?  Why is...

There's no booze!

Run, Atis!  Well, it's not dreadfully important, as we've got the well, but that'll run out.

Limestone 2nd:

It's getting increasingly harder to deal with all of the meat and leather from the animals.  Wait, scratch that.  The leather's great for making more clothing, but it's all the bones that are harder to deal with.  Everybody's pitching in to compost the useless chunks of butchering waste, such as the nervous tissue.

But we're down to 128 animals!

Limestone 3rd:

Feb mines with the goblin bone pick.  Now the animals number at 129.

Limestone 10th:

I order all the milk made into cheese, to clear up some barrels and to make sure it doesn't curdle in a bad way.  Still 128 animals.

Limestone 17th:

A black-cap has sprung up on the subterranean farming level!  And there's no wall beneath it!  This is good news.  We will have a slow yet constant supply of wood.

Limestone 19th:

Led says Lolor, her eldest daughter, aged seven, looks "otherworldly."  She ran to the craftsdwarf's shop, said, "Could I have this?"  Sounds like a fey mood, but too polite - oh, she's unassertive.  Normally they scream, but she's asking, "I need some rock blocks.  And some logs, oh, and maybe some gems.  Could I get that?"  I told Led not to worry.  Since Lolor grabbed some logs first, I think she might be carving a wood thing.  I said she should be proud that her daughter is making it, because Led says she's usuall not very creative.

I asked Lolor if she wanted some obsidian blocks instead of the microcline ones she'd found, and she liked them.

In other news, goslings have hatched!  And chicks!

Limestone 22nd:

Lolor Vutramlath is working furiously on a mysterious construction.

Limestone 26th:

Lolor's carved a figurine of Song Shaketick out of a saguaro rib log!  She's calling it the "Bravery of Conflagration," and it's a figurine of Song Shaketick killing a human during what we're calling the "Second Attempted Abduction" of our hopes, dreams, and lives.  It's encrusted with pyrite and obsidian, adorned with hanging rings of ash, and menaces with spikes of saguaro rib and obsidian, with an obsidian cut into the shape of a marquise cut gem.

I think she saw that human die in a horrible way, and it was coming back to haunt her, and this is her way of overcoming it.

Limestone 27th:

Blue peachicks have hatched!

Limestone 28th:

Now poults and keets!  Everybody rushes in to collect the other eggs.

Sandstone 7th:

Feb orders a second butcher's shop be built, again out of obsidian blocks, to help cull the population, as we have both Ushat and Kulet the Farmer to slaughter animals, but only one shop to do it in.

Sandstone 16th:

I opened the door to the nest boxes and, I swear, I was buried underneath a wave of baby birds.

Sandstone 28th:

HOW DID THOSE CHICKS GET UP THERE?!

I am so annoyed by all these animals!

Timber 1st:

Urdim, seven-year-old son of Nomal and As, started a party at the recently-made statue garden, featuring one (1) exceptional brass statue of a bronze collosus.  Huh.  Why not make it out of bronze?  Ten dwarves, including me, attended it.

Timber 3rd:

Now there's twelve of us, over forty percent of Rockfalls's population.  I think we could all use a bit of a break.

Timber 4th:

I just got word that the birds are fighting.  It's butchery time!

Just outside the fortress, fifteen bowmen, an axeman, and a horse prepared to lay siege to the dwarves.  The axeman, sitting on his horse, said, "Those dwarves let our diplomat be killed!  They must be punished!"

"Er...  About that..." said Ofo Tawkisutar.

"What?" barked Dotep Idoshene.

"Look behind you..."

"NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!"

Timber 16th:

I'm so happy we're so safe inside here!  We worry about little things, like tons of animals or a lack of booze!  Well, that last one's kind of bad, but we've got water.  We worry about these, while others worry about sieges and ambushes and forgotten beasts and werebeasts and thieves and snatchers and titans and megabeasts!

Ahhh...  All of this hard work really has paid off.

I'm ecstatic.  The dining room's legendary (at least within Rockfalls, heh heh heh), my bedroom's great, I have tons of good friends, I have some work, I saw a very fine door, I have a fine bed, and I have many cats!  What more could I ask for!  Perhaps seeing the sunset, or feeling the breeze outside...

No!  I gave that up for safety.  It's worth it!

Well, I could ask for new clothing.  That's safe and doable.

Moonstone 18th:

I have decided to keep track of everybody's love.

Ushat Kolokol  <--Love-->  Onul Ralsanad

Vutok Likoteral  <--Love-->  Zasit Ibeshavuz

Monom Imeshber  <--Love-->  Kumil Adilirid

Feb Oltarkat  <--Love-->  Atir Rigothes

Kulet Arrosdodok  <--Married-->  Cerol Ducimedem

Ingish Zefonginet  <--Married-->  Rigoth Cattengur

Led Tangathoddom  <--Married-->  Kulet Lenshamalath

As Tanzuntir  <--Married-->  Nomal Fikodikud

Fikod Nethrigoth

Atis Erithmesir

Iton Itebablel Okon Dalem  <--Love-->  Cerol Amudducim (Dead)

That's right, there's only two people not in love.

Opal 5th:

Ingish started a party at the dining hall.

Opal 17th:

And Urdim son of As has started a party in the statue garden.

Obsidian 13th:

My baby boy is getting all secretive!  I'm so proud.  I'm helping him toddle around.

He went over to the craftsdwarf's shop and said "Ya!  Woody!"  He went to the pile next "door" and grabbed some ash logs.  "Skin!  Now he's toddling over to the leather pile and getting some llama leather.  He needed some help getting the chunk of obsidian.  Now he's saying, "Boes!  Boes!"  He sketched a rough image of a skeleton.  So creative!  He got some llama bone, some more llama bone, and some goat bone.

Obsidian 17th:

Gah!  A ghost!  What're ye doing here, ye - I mean, you ghost!  We've buried ye...  Ye're not Cerol.  So, could ye explain exactly what's goin' on up there?

Oh.  Oh, dear.

Okay, so apparently, when Logem Oddoksarek got here, there was a dead elven caravan and a human guild representative here.  The guild representative just would not take a hint, and kept on insisting that he know what was going on here.  Then the elves came, and goblins killed them all.

Well, I'm sorry, Logem, but we cannot bury you.  Obviously.  Ye're...  Ye're out there, and we're in here, and "in here" means "inside a volcano."  So a slab'll hae to deu.  Er, sorry, I'd better stop transcribing my accent.  Heh heh heh!

Wait, wha's that?!  You're "generally troublin' past acquaintances and relatives"?!  Go back home for those!

On other news, I was terrified!  My son, Stakud, would not accept any o' the silk we had.  I thought he would be demanding something we didn't have and that he'd ne'er e'en seen (he was born in Rockfalls), but good news!  He grabbed some cave spider silk and started carving!  Good for him!  I can't wait to see what he's done!

Obsidian 21st:

I think Stakud's nearly done!  I've been helping him out with the carving and such.

Obsidian 23rd:

My baby boy made an ashen figurine of a dwarf!  He says it's "qweeen."  I take that to mean Reg Sealwonder, our queen.  It is decorated with goat bone and cave spider silk and encircled with bands of llama bone.  It is adorned with hanging rings of llama leather (he did that himself!) and menaces with "spikes" of obsidian and llama bone.  It has an image of a ring in ash.  I think that's Colorleaves.  Stakud likes looking at it.

My baby boy!  I'm so proud of him!

Obsidian 25th:

I sat down to eat next to Vutok the miner and Rigoth the weaver.  We had a good chat as Vutok ate some llama lung, I ate some dog meat, and Rigoth ate a plump helmet.  That really, really good obsidian millstone that Onul made looks great next to all the obsidian walls.  I used a mechanism with an image of Kol Legononul Lalsazir, the male deity of travelers, on it.  Ironic.  We aren't going anywhere, and neither is the shaft of that millstone.

Obsidian 28th:

We had a party all day and night long, in the dining hall, in the statue room, everywhere.  We celebrated the end of the second year inside Rockfalls.  The next morning, we found a dead turkey hen and a dead duck.  Good thing we let them breed.  Just in time.

As Tanzuntir:

*voice sounds gruff, yet nice*

Hi.  I'm As.  I was born on a farm in the middle-north.  There were some trees, and there were loons.  I remember that.  We had chickens and we made stuff from clay.

I became a hammerdwarf because I was indefatigable, mighty, quite durable, and agile.  My agility made up for the slowness of the hammer, and every strike of my hammer was devastating.  I was a good protector for the town I lived in.  I liked shields because I used them quite a bit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:55:30 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

Granite 23rd:

I've been taking a break from writing in this and hauling stuff about.  I've certainly done enough in the past several years!

Aahhh...

So, drink production is going back up, since Cerol made some more obsidian large pots.  Then she made some obsidian doors.  Ah, that woman!  She's very good at both of them, and is very imaginative.  That's something I like about her.  She's so relaxed, imaginative, and she strives for excellence.  She appreciates art and natural beauty.  I asked her several questions to make this residential level as aesthetic as possible.

We're both very ecstatic, as are our children.  Stakud turned two in Malachite.  Both my boys are growing up well.  Time is passing very quickly in here.

Feb made an announcement about...  Well, about rather personal things, but it basically means "No more babies until I give the okay."  We don't want overpopulation in these not-quite-cramped-yet quarters.  Look what happened to the animals!  We can't do that!  We'd all starve, probably.

Everyone is happy, very happy, or ecstatic, except for Iton.  She's simply content.

Granite 25th:

Iton says there's a big stink in the compost room.  That's why we put doors on it!  What do you expect!  It's for stuff to rot into soil!

Slate 4th:

Now, where'd I put that thing?  I could have sworn it was...

Slate 6th:

I take a break from keeping records to make some doors.  Then I place one of them in Vutok's room.

Led's been working hard at the magma extractor.  I had to fiddle with it somewhat to optimize the metallic output.

Felsite 8th:

There's a good party at the dining hall.  Almost everyone's here.  Life's good.

Hematite 15th:

I started a party!

Galena 12th:

Not much has been happening.  I love sleeping in my nice, warm, safe bedroom.  Did you know that the human "siege" has been going on for almost two years?  That's ridiculous!  Why don't they just go away?!

Limestone 1st:

I had an idea.  We could make cabinets and doors for everybody out of their favorite metal!

Ushat and Kulet the Farmer have their hands full dealing with the animals and their leather.  Wow, it's certainly a full-time job.  Rigoth's proficient at tanning, so she's helping out, too, when she can get a break from weaving.

Vukot's quite talented at making clothes, and she's also a skilled dyer.  We're wearing very good clothes.  Except for the clothes that are threadbare.

Cerol, my wife, made a masterful obsidian pot!  She's churning them out almost as fast as we can fill them with drinks and meat and plants.

Limestone 8th:

I surprised Ushat with a barrel of whip wine and an exceptional zinc cabinet.  He's ecstatic.

Limestone 9th:

I noticed Mistem, Kulet's and Led's youngest daughter, chomping happily on some rat weed.  She said she was "ex-tactic!"  So cute!  We're friends.  She's good with language and music, very relaxed, loves a good thrill, and is compassionate.

Limestone 9th:

Who's next?  Vutok!  She likes...  Tin!  Okay, Ingish, could you forge a tin cabinet for me?

Limestone 18th:

I asked Cerol to make a stone jug.  She did.  Now we can have honey!

Oh, Cerol's a presser, too?  Wow, you're definitely a multitasker!

Limestone 19th:

According to Ushat, the birds have grown up.

Sandstone 8th:

For some reason, Ingish has been taking chunks of obsidian and sticking them onto everything.  Hanging rings, spikes, and images of Kol Legononul Lalsazir, depicted as a male dwarf, contemplating.  Apparently, the deity's name means "Kol Wanderedwayward the South Bridge."  So "Onul" means wayward?  Hmm...  No, because Onul's name is actually spelled with a "^" above it, and this "onul" isn't.

Sandstone 10th:

We're moving Cerol's coffin to the designated coffin space.  Iton took it upon herself to take his skeleton out of the coffin.  I brought the coffin, and Monom re-buried Cerol.  Sigh...  We will always remember your sacrifice, Cerol.

Sandstone 22nd:

I surprised Vutok with a tin cabinet and a pot of mead.

Sandstone 23rd:

Zasit Ibeshavus, the engraver and cook, made a superiorly prepared dog sweetbread roast.  The ingredients are masterfully minced goat meat, superiorly minced prepared yak heart, superiorly minced dog tripe and finely minced dog sweetbread.  All of the ingredients came from inside Rockfalls, sustainably obtained.

We now have just seven cave fish and eleven cave lobsters left in storage.

Sandstone 25th:

Kumil and Iton decided to spar.  Iton parried Kumil's strike, then did a counterstrike, but that was parried.  Then Iton attacked Kumil, but the shot was blocked.  Kumil did a counterstrike, but the shot was parried.

Sandstone 27th:

Zasit made another masterful meal.  He says he'd like me to fiddle with some stuff to make a heater for the food.  Finally!  Someone needs my fiddling!

Timber 1st:

I've got a pipe set up for the magma to flow into.  It's not unlike fiddling with my magma extractor, if you know what you're doing.

Timber 6th:

I made two masterful obsidian doors in a row.  I'd say I'm a "High Master" mason.

Timber 15th:

Good news!  We now have both a black-cap and a spore tree in our tree farm!  We also have plenty of saplings.

Timber 19th:

The siege is gone, apparently, and a "trader" has come to check and make sure they didn't break in, according to Logem.  He says he recognizes the single "trader" as Onget Ottandakost, who's in the government.

Oh, the new outpost liaison is named "Stukos"?  How ironic, considering Stukos died in the legend of Rockfalls.

I hope he does not continue the pattern.

Oh, and more "traders" have arrived?  One...  two...  three...  four traders.  One is named Goden.  Okay, who's messing around here?

Timber 21st:

They look surprised at the number of elf corpses.  Not us!  They've brought some protection with them, a speardwarf, a macedwarf, a marksdwarf, a speardwarf, and another speardwarf.

Timber 24th:

I think Logem's going up to talk to them.  I saw his feet go through the obsidian wall, then nothing.

Timber 25th:

Goodness!  Logem says an ambush got to Stukos just before he did.  There's seven axemen and a...  Somebody who doesn't look like they have any idea what to do besides punching people in the head.

The recruit charged at Stukos and scratched and punched him until an axeman came over and stabbed him in the leg.  He still struggled until an axeman stabbed him in the leg really hard; then he gave into pain.  As the wrestler grabbed him, the axeman stabbed his brain apart.

Now they're going after the merchants!  Run!

Timber 27th:

I'm hearing all this after the fact, but it's hilarious.

The lead goblin, the wrestler, was running around the magma pipe so close, he slipped and his foot fell in.  He screamed in pain, and the others hauled him out.  Then the magma set everything on fire.

The wrestler died, and all the others are running away.  Hah!  That's what you get for dealing with Kulet Arrosdodok, Engineer!  Of course, it was actually a mistake on the part of the goblin, so that's what you get for running really fast around a magma pipe!

Uh, oh.  Only one goblin was trapped on the opposite side of the smoke from the traders.  Wait, no three of them are huddling behind a hill, one of them is standing on melting ice, and the last is running away from the fire.

Moonstone 4th:

Another ambush!  Four macemen and a hammerman!  But...

The macedwarf took care of a few macemen, never getting hurt.  A merchat, Zefon, was seriously injured in both feet, but he'll survive if he doesn't get bashed again.

Overall, no guards were hurt, all the animals died, and some of the merchants are injured.  Run away and never come back!  It's dangerous!

The marksdwarf is staying away from the action, just firing away at the goblins.  But here comes the fire!

All of the second squad was killed, and the first squad is trapped.  Now's your chance!  Run!

Moonstone 9th:

Kadol Egathtulon, the eldest (nine-year-old) son of Nomal and As, started a party, and I joined it.  Sometimes I wish I could just forget about the outside world.

Moonstone 10th:

They won't run.  There's a BIG fire south of Rockfalls.  It burned Rane's corpse up.  Remember Rane, the human diplomat killed by goblins?

Moonstone 17th:

The merchants are packing up!  Yes!  Logem went over to check on his corpse.  Not cremated yet.

Moonstone 21st:

The merchants are gone.  See?!  This is why we went inside!

Moonstone 23rd:

Cerol ate a "legendary meal."  I'm not sure what it was, but she said it had flour and sugar.  Then she went over and built a floor.

Vutok "had a pretty good drink" and "slept in a great bedroom" and "admired own very fine cabinet" and "had a fine drink" lately.

Moonstone 24th:

I found what it was that Cerol ate.  It's a superiorly prepared dwarven sugar roast.  The ingredients are exceptionally minced dwarven sugar, exceptionally minced Longland flour, exceptionally minced dwarven wheat flour, and superiorly minced dwarven sugar.  No wonder Cerol liked it!

Moonstone 25th:

Feb started a party at the brass statue.

And there's a goblin-cap in the spare room!

Opal 1st:

Even Logem's here at the party!  Four trees: goblin-cap, tower-cap, black-cap, and spore tree.  This is good, albeit very slow, but, hey!  They're trees.

Opal 7th:

I've gotten used to these warm, black walls.  I can't image what it would be like without them.  This really does seem like a tiny little town, with a lot of hustling and bustling around, and many small bedrooms, and farms...

Ushat Kolokol:

What in Armok's name is that yak doing?!  It just gored its baby in the head, making it suffocate!  It had plenty of grass to eat...  Perhaps I'd best separate the babies and the older ones.  That'd be good...

Ah, life is good here.  A good dining hall, good drinks, a good bedroom, fine craftsdwarfship, a bit of work to do (but no too much), and plenty of friends.  This life is much easier than any other life.

That same yak cow just gave birth to a yak calf.  Hmmph.  It's a male, not a female.  Better butcher...  Yep, it's skinny.  Better butcher it.

That same yak cow just attacked her own child!  Yikes!  Feb, could you - thanks.

Ah.  Y'know what I said about not too much work?  Still true, but there's a fair bit of work involved in keeping over a hundred animals inside here.  Even if I have two other people to help me.  Still, I can't complain.  This is the safest I've ever been.

That's a good dress Vutok just made.  It's finely-crafted, made from masterful pig tail cloth woven by our very own grand master weaver, and it's red, finely colored with redroot dye.  Iton bets it's worth 476 coin.  'Course, anybody can pick it up.  'T's only for trading when we use coin.

'T's another dress Vutok just made, superior quality, made from superior quality pig tail fiber cloth, well-colored green with emerald dye.  Hope she makes some trousers or shoes soon, mine are threadbare.

Well, I'm off to work with the bees.

Kulet Arrosdodok:

Opal 27th:

I got a new robe to replace my worn tunic.  It's well-crafted, and made from rope reed fiber cloth.  It's red with redroot dye.

Feb had a mangled hoary marmot leather cap, but now he has a...  threadbare giant cave spider silk cap?  I s'pose that's better...

Atis finally finished managing the work orders and told us masons to start making some doors.

Obsidian 16th:

Everybody's been taking the door's Onul's been making and shoving them everywhere.  Don't know why, but maybe it makes everything look better?

What?!  Are you joking, Logem?  No?

A Siege!  The enemy have come and are laying siege to the fortress volcano.  You have got to be kidding me.

There's seven swordsmen, all on horses, an elite bowman, on a horse, six pikemen, on a horse, and a pikemaster, on a horse.

Wait.  I meant "all on horses" for the pikemen.  Hahaaaa!  Can't you just imagine that?  Six pikemen on one horse!  Haaaahaa!  *rolls on the floor laughing*

Well, it's just one big joke for us!  We're safe!  *laughs hysterically*  Go fight the goblins, you - *shuddering with laughs* you stupid *shuddering with laughs* humans!  Haaaaaahaha!

Feb wondered if I was okay.  I just laughed and laughed and told him the story.  He was laughing too by the time I told him about the six pikemen perched on one horse.

Obsidian 26th:

Onul's planting seeds, so I'm going to make some doors.  Apparently, people have decided that every single workshop should have a door in front and behind it, and every staircase, too.  Well, I don't mind.  It's fun making stuff out of stone, and there won't be much need after this.

Obsidian 28th:

And thus ends the third year inside Rockfalls.  With thirty-two enemy soldiers outside, we may be the most confident dwarves ever that they could never die to anything but old age.

Granite 9th:

I saw a gander fly!  I saw a gander fly!

Everyone in Rockfalls is either happy or ecstatic, except for Logem, but he's a ghost.  He's still a dwarf, though, and we talk with him a lot.

By 's holy beard!  Atis says we have eight million, nine hundred sixty-two thousand, six hundred and twenty-two coins worth of wealth!  Wow!  A lot of that is "other objects."  It's handy having your broker be the bookkeeper.

Slate 8th:

Rigoth's a legendary weaver now.

Slate 13th:

Cerol's run out of pig tails and rope reeds to process.  Good, because Rigoth and Vutok are flooded with thread and cloth.

Slate 14th:

Lolor Vutramalath, eldest daughter (9) of Led and Kulet the farmer, started a party at the brass statue.

Felsite 26th:

Not much has happened these last few months, except that we're getting more new clothing, and that the last block of Rockfalls was finally placed today, more than three years after we were sealed in.

Felsite 28th:

Apparently, Zasit's got an idea.  He's making a roast out of a yak heart, some yak intestines, five meals' worth of yak meat, and a prepared yak spleen.  Something to do with relatedness?

Also, I got Onul and Kulet the farmer to plant all the subterranean plants throughout the year.  I told them that it was always dark and warm down there; the seasons didn't mean anything normally in a cave, let alone inside a volcano.

Hematite 1st, 262:

Zasit finished his cooking.  He's made... am exceptional roast out of the aforementioned yak heart, intestines, meat, and spleen.  It sounds...  Appetizing!  And each meal is worth 76 coin!

Hematite 3rd, 262:

I took a break from hauling and went to the hospital to ponder.  I saw Kadol there, the ten-year-old son of Nomal and As.  Let's see...  He was born on the 15th of Obsidian, in the year 252, which is close to the spring of 253.  So when we sealed ourselves in, in the spring of 259, he was...  Six.  Sounds about right, although...  Let's see, he turned 10 in 261, so he was born in...  251?  But they said...  Never mind.  Anyway, he was about six when we went inside.

He's skinny, with long, brown hair.  He has a tall, narrow head, and short, broad ears.  He has low eyebrows and dark tan skin.

He's flimsy and quick to heal.

He says he likes tetrahedrite, billion, pyrite, oak wood, elk leather, mountain goat hoof, and spears.  He likes to eat black bullhead and swamp whiskey.  Since he arrived here in the year 256, when he was about four, he can't remember much about his old home, but it had black bullhead, there was a stream, and there were occasionally some gnats.  He hates gnats.

He's good with language and has a lot of willpower, but he's not very good with social relationships.  He's nervous and doesn't like risks, but is relaxed.  He's very friendly, but kind of guarded in relationships because he can't really understand them.  He can understand his emotions and is put off by tradition and authority.  Well, there's only one fort like this in the world, and it's dead!  No tradition here!

We talked for a while and became good friends.  He says he's very happy, because he's talked with Vucar (she's his three-year-old sibling), slept in a great bedroom, dined in a legendary dining hall, made a friend (i.e., me), admired a "completely sublime" (good words for that) statue, and he's seen a splendid door.  He likes having his own bed, and he's fine with helping out bring in the harvest.  Yep, everybody's happy in Rockfalls.

Zostra Imbobikda, female Human Pikemaster's Conversation with Ijam Sahthetlershi, female Human Elite Bowman:

Zostra: "Those dirty dwarves!  Huddling away somewhere.  We must find them!"

Ijam: "We've looked everywhere, ma'am.  The only things around are us, our horses, a ghost, and some stork - "

Zostra: "A ghost?!  What kind?"

Ijam: "I couldn't really tell, but it looked short, like a dwarf."

Zostra: "Find it!  And question it!"

Ijam: "Ma'am, I don't think we can capture a ghost."

Zostra: "It's the only lead we've got!  The dwarves can't have just... disappeared!  AAARRGH!"

Ijam: "Wait, what's that over there?"

Zostra: "What?"

Ijam: "It's full of lava.  I think it's a lava pipe, sort of like a volcano."

Zostra: "But then why would it have STRAIGHT EDGES?  Ijam, we've found the dwarves!  They must be somewhere in here..."

Ijam: "But then how would we get in?  It's not juice.  If you step in it, you drown and melt at the same time."

Zostra: "We'll need some stone.  We'll drop down stones until...  No...  We'll figure it out somehow!  But search the hills around it!  They might have a secret escape route.  Nobody kills our diplomat and survives!"

Itvid Ersined, female Human Pikeman: "Um, ma'am, what if the goblins did it?  There are elven corpses -"

Zostra: "They kill elves, too!"

Itvid: "But these look like...  Look!  A land of ashes!"

Zostra: "They probably flooded the land with magma, just like in the days of old!  We'd better be careful..."

Kulet Arrosdodok:

Yep, we're as safe as can be.

Hematite 13th:

I was on break, but then I started a party in the dining hall.  Feb came, and Led, and Urdim second-eldest son of As.  Then Ingish came, and we all had a good time.

Hematite 18th:

Did you know that you can brew rope reeds?  I didn't.  Atis says it's called "river spirits."  Makes me think of the outdoors.  I wouldn't mind being outside, just for a while...

Except, of course, for the iron that would find itself in my gut almost instantly.  Stupid humans.

Zasit Ibeshavus, engraver and cook, keeps creating "masterpieces" of meals.  They taste so good!

Hematite 19th:

My magma extractor got a bar of platinum!  Wow!  That took four years to collect.

...Onul?

Why are you operating the magma extractor?

Oh, I forgot to say that the job could only be done by magma extractor operators.  That's me and Led only.

Hematite 21st:

Now Ushat, Monom, Feb, Ingish, Led, Cerol, Rigoth, Fikod, Urdim, and I are at the party.  According to Atis, every single dwarf is busy.

Malachite 22nd:

Vutok told me that "Ngogngo," Forgotten Beast was no longer enraged.  When I asked her how she knew, she ran away.  Hmm, that sounds like a goblin name.  She came back and told me,

"The Forgotten Best Ngogngo has come!  A gigantic feathered crocodile.  It has large mandibles and it is ravening.  Its green feathers are long and broad.  Beware its poisonous sting!"

Again, I asked her how she knew and she ran away.  She's got a good imagination...

She proceeded to tell a story of a group of brave batmen, deep in the darkest caverns of the world, trying to defend themselves against a horrible crocodile, many of them dying.  A brave bat woman blowgunner dying in a pool of her blood...  But she still stabs the crocodile as hard as she can, even as she dies...

A bat man spearman, with his left hand and right upper leg cut open, and with his whole left leg missing, still stabbing the beast...

They come after it, again and again, smashing its toes, fracturing its ribs, denting its body...

And then there were none.  The beast had won, but with a great price.  It would never be the same.

Wow.  People say that she's not good with words, and she's not, but she's got a good imagination.

Malachite 28th:

Ingish, why did you encircle our spare anvil with bands of oval obsidian cabochons?  And then encrust a dog leather bag with rectangular obsidian cabochons?

Galena 4th:

Vutok made a masterful rope reed fiber left glove!

Galena 7th:

There!  That's it!  That's it, Atis!  You take both the valuable powders AND the plentiful meat and use them TOGETHER, thereby making a LOT of VALUABLE, DELICIOUS roasts.  As opposed to, you know, making a roast of sugar, sugar, sugar, and flour every once in a while.

Galena 15th:

What the...

The humans have been here for SO LONG that one of their horses just gave birth to a foal.  The pikeman sitting on the previously-pregnant horse STABBED THE BABY IN THE HEAD.  Why?  And the horse that gave birth even helped kill the baby!

Now they're all running around like crazy.

My wife's pond grabber leather cap is mangled.  At least her trousers and cloak and tunic and such aren't falling apart.  That would be very embarrassing.  Vutok says she'll make some caps once she's done with the mittens.

Timber 14th, 262:

That was one good roast, with plenty of sugar and dwarven wheat flour.  Mmm, dwarven wheat flour...

Timber 15th:

Oh, aren't you a cute little kitten?  You're a big kitten!  And your hair is so golden!  I'll call you Onul Ildomoddom.

Timber 16th:

Ah, there's not much happening.  I'm kind of bored, but this is good.  No danger, my children can grow up...  Good...

END OF CHAPTER TWO: READJUSTMENT
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:20:55 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2015, 07:31:16 pm »

Chapter Three: Busyness in an Ecstatic Fortress

Feb Oltarkat:

So, Kulet says he's a little bored with making his book and asked me if I would continue it.  He says he's probably going to spend the rest of his life talking with Cerol, hauling clothing and food, and attending parties.  That's not very interesting.

Well, I'll write something interesting!  I wish I had a lazy life, but I'm the expedition leader, and together with Atis, I have to lead this place, looking at stocks and telling people to make this or cook that or brew this or mill that or dye this or make tunics and socks and hoods and...

Well, I just have a rather busy life, but that'd be the same anywhere.  It's just the exact location of this fortress that is interesting.

It's inside of a volcano.

Although, I bet you're a first- or second-generation Rockfalls citizen, first-generation means those who were born inside here in the first twenty years or so.  So you can't really comprehend the "outside" as well as those who have been there.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 01:03:43 pm »

Kulet Arrosdodok:

Apparently, Feb dropped his journal that he was keeping for me in the poultry room as they were being moved.

He's found two scraps of leather and three words.  Goodness.

So, he says he's kind of disheartened, because he'd written so much.  "No problem," I told him.  "I'll think of something."

So, I thought, how could I get everyone to write something?  One year per person seemed much too long, and one day per person could work, because there are 29 of us, and Feb might be too busy, or I might consider this writing as - yes, that's it.  This is my section, not with a given time-frame for it to be written in.  But one month didn't seem like enough time to be written.

So there I had an idea.  How about a year?  Each person gets fourteen days to write about themselves, what they do, and what they think.  I'd randomly pick each person's name out of a hat (including the children, of course.  Some of them are a bit young, but the siblings or parents can help), and make a schedule.  This'll take a while to work out, but I think I can have it up by Granite 1st, 264.  In the meantime, enjoy the pictures!  Vutok, drawing on her knowledge as a clothier and dyer, painted an image of her homeland, and it was very good, so we asked her if she's draw us up some sketches of Rockfalls.

These go from top to bottom.  Beneath that is just some pillars.

Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3