Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TribalFortress Mod v1.3 [40.24]  (Read 9568 times)

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TribalFortress Mod v1.3 [40.24]
« on: April 14, 2015, 06:13:01 am »

TribalFortress
version 1.3
Download

What is TribalFortress?
TribalFortress is an ambitious mod for Dwarf Fortress that attempts to set back the clock to a time before civilisations were united and broken under thrall of autocratic rulers. Metalwork has yet to be discovered, civilisation lays on the mantles of scattered chieftains, and combat is ever more harsh and devastating. It is left up for the player to decide whether the future of their tribe is carved into the winding depths of a muddied cave or built up from the surface into what may become a sprawling townscape.

Notable Features
Fortress Mode:
- Play as humans
- Metalwork removed; utilise stone and bone weaponry
- Dense stone rendered undiggable
- Kingdoms abolished; tribal chieftains reign supreme
- Revamped nobles; new administrative titles and positions
- Many new items with new workshops and processes to create them

Adventure Mode includes all main races playable and the ability to craft many pieces of equipment from scratch.

Updates:
v1.3:
- All weapon-grade stones and gems now have individual production reactions; bars now stack properly in stockpiles.
- Weapons and ammunitions have had their reactions changed to respect the new reactions; ammunition now stocks properly in stockpiles.
- Moved the "collect water" reaction to the new Welled Spring; can currently be built anywhere.
- Processing drinking water at Kitchens now also requires a wooden log.
- Material value of dwarven alcohols increased to reflect their exclusivity.
- Material value of leather increased to reflect danger of acquisition.
- Production of weapons and armours now requires additional components; applied to Adventure mode reactions. (see the readme)
- Arm and leg guards can now only be made from leather at a Leatherworks. (a bug in DF screws with custom glove/shoe reactions, evidently)
- Granted dwarves a superior war hammer; removed hunting spear from their arsenal.
- Granted humans a superior war spear; removed hammer from their arsenal.
- Granted goblins a superior war axe; removed long spear from their arsenal.
- Elves now only use clubs for melee weapons.
- Changes to entity ethics. (to be expanded on further)
- Replaced "executioner" position with "champion" with combined responsibilities; upgrades to "hero" by chieftain. (leads demonstrations while decapitating criminals--what could go wrong?)

Spoiler: Past Updates (click to show/hide)

Note:
This mod is currently in early development.
Features may not be fully implemented or polished.
Constructive criticism and suggestions are greatly welcome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:51:40 am by Stalhansch »

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TribalFortress Mod [40.24]
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:32 pm »

hhmmmm. An intriguing looking mod. does it come with a manual explaining all the new features and workshops?

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:47 pm »

hhmmmm. An intriguing looking mod. does it come with a manual explaining all the new features and workshops?

Not yet. At the moment things are relatively simple to figure out (in my opinion). I do have plans to make things much more intricate and difficult, however, and I'll include information in the readme.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 04:05:19 am »

Are there plans to introduce new types of prehistoric animals?

There were a couple of mods like this a while back, not sure how easy it would be to port the creatures from them. But you might be interested in looking at kobold camp, because the end result is similar: Low-tech surface dwellers with little tech.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 06:57:42 am »

Are there plans to introduce new types of prehistoric animals?

There were a couple of mods like this a while back, not sure how easy it would be to port the creatures from them. But you might be interested in looking at kobold camp, because the end result is similar: Low-tech surface dwellers with little tech.
Yes, I have plans to include (or possibly 'devolve') some animals to spice things up. I hadn't noticed any other 'stone-age' attempts beside Kobold Camp, though, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll have to dig those up and see what they have in the way of inspiration.

I did look at Kobold Camp once before and noticed a lot of similarities to my own work, but I feel the two projects' goals are fundamentally different.

Also, I found a hilarious oversight in the release of this mod that might've made the major features completely unavailable. Apologies to anyone that couldn't actually do anything. Always triple-check your work, folks.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TribalFortress Mod v1.2 [40.24]
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 11:46:31 pm »

Turns out making reactions out of bone material is pretty annoying.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 10:57:54 pm »

Cool mod. Really nice to see someone modding in different ages of real-world historical combat and related mechanics into DF.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:23 am »

did you get your hilarious mistake all sorted out Stalhansch? ps, have you considered having your mod prepackaged. Ie, having the raws in a up to date version of dwarf fortress, with maybe phoebus or ironhand graphics. just a suggestion? ps, i really like the concept of your mode. For instance i like bone armour(plus bone and stone weapons), which is why i like giving bone armour to my hunters. I hope your mod goes from strength to strength, Stalhansch. ps, with all the different dwarf fortress mods i have on my laptop, i have about six different forts on the go, at the moment.lol

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:58 am »

Far easier than making reactions for bone armor, add [BARRED] to the items. This automatically adds them to the craftsdwarf/bone menu.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:13 pm »

did you get your hilarious mistake all sorted out Stalhansch? ps, have you considered having your mod prepackaged. Ie, having the raws in a up to date version of dwarf fortress, with maybe phoebus or ironhand graphics. just a suggestion? ps, i really like the concept of your mode. For instance i like bone armour(plus bone and stone weapons), which is why i like giving bone armour to my hunters. I hope your mod goes from strength to strength, Stalhansch. ps, with all the different dwarf fortress mods i have on my laptop, i have about six different forts on the go, at the moment.lol
Yes, all of the major oversights should be fixed, especially with the next update. No, I hadn't considered prepackaging; I don't see the advantage. I'm glad you like the mod. I'm going to be trying to expand on equipment gradually as I develop it.

Far easier than making reactions for bone armor, add [BARRED] to the items. This automatically adds them to the craftsdwarf/bone menu.
I'm aware of the [BARRED] tag, but it doesn't allow for more demanding resources as far as I can tell. Most equipment is planned to have a multi-step production process.

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TribalFortress Mod v1.3 [40.24]
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:20 am »

Dwarf Fortress's bugs are pretty annoying to work around too.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to make goblins give more of an impression. Suggestions are welcome.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 04:23:50 am »

Dwarf Fortress's bugs are pretty annoying to work around too.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do to make goblins give more of an impression. Suggestions are welcome.
What do you mean with impression? And which bugs are you trying to circumvent?

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 05:43:02 am »

What do you mean with impression? And which bugs are you trying to circumvent?
I don't feel that goblins really have a place in the mod other than to be an extra aggressor. I can't think of any ways to mess with their social order (or lack thereof) or their whole Dark Fortress/demon spires gig that would make them seem any different from vanilla DF. I've considered punching them down to a level just above kobolds in their behaviour and replacing them with a more interesting entity, but I don't know if it's possible to disable the slade spires.

DF bugs that have thus far given me trouble:
- bone stacks used in reactions (not too bad, really)
- custom reactions not producing proper 'right' and 'left' gloves
Small things that haven't had too large of an impact. It was a matter of being unaware of them until I'd already put the work in, and then having to undo it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 06:43:31 am »

You can make goblins SKULKING, while keeping the snatcher tag and deleting the item_thief tag. That results in only single snatchers coming to your fort, until they succesfully abducted 3 kids, which triggers their sieges. From that point on they would send larger attacks.

It would make the game easier, which I assume is fine because you lack good metals/weapons, and makes you paranoid about protecting your kids.

Otherwise use interactions. You can add a lot of character to invaders by making them shout things, or do special "attacks". Not sure why Goblins should be different though... I thought you were just doing vanilla DF, but instead of 14th century you play in the stone age? Demons, slade and worshipping false gods can still happen in the stone age.

Custom reactions not producing left/right gloves: Download either the old Masterwork 6.2 or the new Masterwork Reborn, check the dfhack/scripts folder and look for Autofixhandedness. It's a script by Kurik Amudnil that automatically assignes left/right to custom made gloves. :)

Hope that helps. :)

Stalhansch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »

I thought you were just doing vanilla DF, but instead of 14th century you play in the stone age?
That was the intention, but, I don't feel simply changing what weapons are made from is enough to justify the theme. I'm going to try and devolve civilisations and creatures prior to what they might have been if you were to retract 9000-10000 years, and a lot can change in that amount of time.

Also, thank you for the information. It is very helpful.
Pages: [1] 2