Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shaping Trees  (Read 1872 times)

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shaping Trees
« on: April 14, 2015, 07:25:20 am »

I primarily dwell in fortress mode, but usually upon creating a new world I delve into it with an adventurer.
After crossing a particularly massive river to reach an elven site, I happened upon something quite peculiar.
My fps had considerably dropped upon approaching the river, and I soon found out why.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A large assortment of stray animals, linearly arranged beneath the trees.
(There were also elephants, ocelots, capuchins and others)

No doubt they are inclusive within the elven civ, but the sheer number of them, and their curious arrangement is something I have never before seen.
Upon approach none of them reacted violently, so there does seem to be some inherent difference between them and regular wildlife.

The wiki does not mention this specific phenomenon regarding shaping trees:

So my questions are:
Has anyone else happened upon this?
Is this a normal occurence?
Are these animals to be converted into recruits for the elven armies?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shaping Trees
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:30 am »

I think I've seen something similar, but not that exactly. They are deployed in warfare -- was this retreat the location of a battle? And were numbers of animals like those among the defenders?

SaD-82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »

Had once even an elven retreat which had some tamed snails. Not the giant ones.
They really love their nature...

Camulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »

I think I've seen something similar, but not that exactly. They are deployed in warfare -- was this retreat the location of a battle? And were numbers of animals like those among the defenders?

They did battle with a dwarven civ, and wiped them out (At least reverted them to nomad status).

All the entries say 'mostly elves' or 'creatures', which muddles the whole thing up further.
I guess this is because the elves were on the offensive the entire time.

Perhaps now, with the war over, these animals are simply inactive, waiting for the next conflict.
They have been created, and now simply mull about in a rectangle waiting for the next dwarven king foolish enough to chop down a few trees.

I was able to run an adventurer from the defeated dwarven civ, so it would be interesting to see if the beast army would flood my gates if I were to run a fort.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:12:28 pm by Camulus »

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 04:50:20 am »

I find it amusing how a single Dwarf was ambushed by vicious, blood-thirsty, trained war animals animals and took down two of them before losing.