Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: Mission 20: Gyromitra Team  (Read 76805 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 20: Gyromitra Team
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:28:34 pm »

In case you don't know, this team includes:

Miyamoto De Bergerac (Radio Controlled)
        Team leader, armored, uncon, con
    Morul Migrurkeshin (kisame12794)
        Second in command, con, exo
    Eddie Gracerei (Dorisdwarf)
        newb (0 mission), con
    Judas Smythe (Persus13)
        newb (0 mission), con
    Kyle Johnson (kj1225)
        newb (1 mission), con, aux, med
    Ronald (Wolfkit)
        newb (0 mission), exo
    Tek (Nunzillor)
        newb (1 mission), uncon, aux, handi
    Ian Smith (HavingPhun)
        newb (0 mission), con, exo
    Vincent Klart (Kedly)
        con
    Ryan Jorgensen (Pufferfish)
        newb (0 mission), exo, med
    Zayne Cavanagh
        newb (0 mission), uncon
    Iveso Zales (Praefectus)
        newb (0 mission), uncon, aux

You wake up in the hanger rather than the barracks, your stasis pod sitting on top of a gurney like a glass tube filled with lime jello. You climb out and flop onto the ground, where crew men immediately help you up, towel you off, and get you dressed. Your gear is thrust into your hands and the crew men lead you over to large, black, metallic pods, things which look the a spherical metal cockpit. They're trailing wires and tubes, clearly having been separated from some larger whole.  The get you into the pod and strap you down, securing multipoint harnesses before loading your gear in at your feet. The chair inside is form fitting, and you sink into it, almost completely immobile. Dull red lights blink on inside the pod as the crew close the hatch. You hear them bolt it closed and a moment later the pod is moving.

"We're taking you for installation in the drop system." A voice says over the pod's intercom, scratchy and metallic "It's gonna carry that pod of yours all the way down to the surface. Once you land, the hatch door will automatically eject and the harness should release you. If it doesn't, get a teammate to help ya by pressing that red button right in front of you. It will send an emergency signal to everyone else. Don't press it unless you're stuck"

After a while the movement stops. There's a lull for a long period and the sound of machines. Pneumatic wrenches squeal somewhere nearby and there's a constant, steady thumping and grinding of metal. Your pod moves, jerked up and then twisted so you're laying on your back rather then sitting up straight. You feel the vibrations of the motor of whatever is holding you, and then they cease as your pod is slotted solidly into something. It moves slightly as fasteners are tightened, but then everything is silent. Time passes.

"We're loading the pod cluster into the cannon now" A voice on the intercom says after an indeterminate amount of time, "It's a low power shot, just enough to get you on the right trajectory and send you on your way. The drop system will guide you and and set you down together. Stand by."

The pod moves again, shifting sideways and then up before coming to rest.

"Pod internals anti-magnetism activating. Beginning coil charge."

Your skin tingles and it feels like the pod is rocking, or floating. 

"Charge at 50%. 60, 68, 75, 84, 98, 99, Ready.  Don't bite your tongue, don't hold your breath, don't tense up or try to lift your head. Close your mouth, stay limp. Breath out in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

It feels like you're falling, or rather like you've been fired straight downward out of the barrel of a gun. Which, you suppose, is actually rather accurate. The feeling of acceleration fades rather quickly and then you're weightless.  Time passes. Hours. They pipe music in through the intercom to kill the time, occasionally letting you know about the course. The long arc down towards the single, wandering planet. When the retrorockets flare on you barely feel them. The maneuvering thrusters kick on not long afterwards and you know, thanks to the crew, that you're coming in sideways, skimming down towards the planet on the edge of it's upper atmosphere.

"Disconnecting drop system in 3, 2, 1"

The pod shakes and jerks hard to one side. It rumbles and shutters, the inside grows warm and you can feel the rockets vibrating under your boots.  Then nothing, a rushing of air, a hiss of occasional trajectory corrections or jerk as the system boosts to prevent you from falling too fast. When the pod finally lands, it's like the shot from the cannon but in reverse. You almost black out and the harness strains against your chest hard enough that you're sure you're gonna have a 5 point bruise tomorrow. Everything is quiet, except your breathing.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 20: Gyromitra Team
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:55:05 pm »

Zayne laughed nervously. "..Are all drops like that..?" He asked over comms, then waited for the pod's hatch to open, taking a moment to calm himself. Once it opened he climbed out, grabbing his gear. If it didn't he pressed the red button, holding it down for a few seconds.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:20:14 pm by Shaporia »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »

"Team gyromitra, sound-off. Say if you landed in one piece and if you can get out of your pod."

Get out of pod (look at it, check how it's different to accomodate avatar) and grab gear, then look around. Check map to see if we landed on target, and where the other pods are.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 04:47:04 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Shaporia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 02:01:15 pm »

"..Zayne, in one piece. Checking hatch." He sounded lightly nervous.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 02:09:52 pm »

"Ronald here. I'm okay. Waiting for pod to open"

Wait for pod to open, then jump out. Also, my doom arms are outside of the suit, right? What about my tentacle?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 05:19:10 am by Wolfkit »
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:11:49 pm »

"Uh hello? Is this thing on... Oh yes, there it is! This is Ian, I seem to be alright, I'll see about that door."

Wait for the hatch to pop off. If I can get out, then check the area for my comrades, and for any movement. If it is clear, then put my equipment on. If I can't get out, start hammering on the red button.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:10 pm »

"This is Smythe. I am in one piece. Attempting to exit pod now."

Wait for hatch to automatically release. When it does, exit pod.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 02:58:21 pm »

"Well that took forever! Vincent here, alive and well... for now. Let's try and get through this alive shall we?" Vincent leaves his pod when able and retrieves his gear
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:35:47 pm »

"Eddie G, driver, sounding off. Taking bets on local weather, too."

Exit pod, equip items, try not to be stuck in pod.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:49:31 pm »

"Haha, it was about time! Guess it is time to get the party started, but yeah Iveso is alive yet."
Wait for the pod to open, if it doesn't press the red button. Then get geared up again.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 06:25:04 pm by Praefectus Screptum »

Nunzillor

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:43:47 pm »

"Tek is alive and unharmed, thank the comb.  He is now attempting to leave his pod."
If the hatch doesn't open, push the red button.  Otherwise, exit the pod and behold the alien landscape.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 11:40:04 pm »

"Morul, checking in. Appear to have made it in one piece. Will report location when I'm out."

Exit pod, then do a multi-spectrum sweep of the area with my cam-eyes.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:10 am »

"Y-yes, Ryan here sir," he replies as he attempts to wrangle himself free.

Free myself and open the hatch, but stay inside the pod. If I can't and am stuck, press that red button.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 01:32:05 pm »

"Tek is alive and unharmed, thank the comb.  He is now attempting to leave his pod."
If the hatch doesn't open, push the red button.  Otherwise, exit the pod and behold the alien landscape.
"Haha, it was about time! Guess it is time to get the party started, but yeah Iveso is alive yet."
Wait for the pod to open, if it doesn't press the red button. Then get geared up again.
These two pods fail to open. Their inhabitants hit the emergency buttons.

For the rest of you, your pods make a buzzing noise and the hatch is ejected rather explosively.

"Team gyromitra, sound-off. Say if you landed in one piece and if you can get out of your pod."

Get out of pod (look at it, check how it's different to accomodate avatar) and grab gear, then look around. Check map to see if we landed on target, and where the other pods are.
You didn't have a pod; you more had a metal framework with retrorockets attached to it. But I write from the perspective of the average grunt, not you superwealthy 1% ers.

You appear to have landed on target, and the other pods are around, spread out in a radius 100-200 yards or so.

Zayne laughed nervously. "..Are all drops like that..?" He asked over comms, then waited for the pod's hatch to open, taking a moment to calm himself. Once it opened he climbed out, grabbing his gear. If it didn't he pressed the red button, holding it down for a few seconds.
"Ronald here. I'm okay. Waiting for pod to open"

Wait for pod to open, then jump out. Also, my doom arms are outside of the suit, right? What about my tentacle?
They're all outside the suit.

"Uh hello? Is this thing on... Oh yes, there it is! This is Ian, I seem to be alright, I'll see about that door."

Wait for the hatch to pop off. If I can get out, then check the area for my comrades, and for any movement. If it is clear, then put my equipment on. If I can't get out, start hammering on the red button.
"Eddie G, driver, sounding off. Taking bets on local weather, too."

Exit pod, equip items, try not to be stuck in pod.
"Morul, checking in. Appear to have made it in one piece. Will report location when I'm out."

Exit pod, then do a multi-spectrum sweep of the area with my cam-eyes.
"Y-yes, Ryan here sir," he replies as he attempts to wrangle himself free.

Free myself and open the hatch, but stay inside the pod. If I can't and am stuck, press that red button.

The world here is strange to say the least. You're at the top of a mountain or at least a very large hill; with canyons on either side, and a few higher protuberances around you. It looks like a normal world in terms of contour and shape but a thick blanket of purple-red flesh as been thrown across it, softening the edges and smoothing the slopes. The "skin" as it was called, is soft and crushes like fresh snow under your boots, leaving oozing footprints that slowly fill with a red syrupy substance.  Feathery white growths, like moth antenna, are already starting to sprout from the area around the pods and where ever anyone steps.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »

(I assume I got out of my pod fine?)

"What type of weapons should we use first when we get attacked?"

Check to make sure I have my gear equipped. Make sure I'm holding my laser rifle and get on a jeep.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:55:52 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45