Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51

Author Topic: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.  (Read 78637 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:29:30 pm »

This team includes

Hasala Nabin (Swordsmith04)
        Team leader, con, exo
    Brother Lars (Toaster)
        Second in command, flying, con, exo
    Han Thren (Doomblade187)
        newb (1 mission), uncon
    Johnothen Bright (Execute/Dumbo.exe)
        newb (0 mission), con
    Bartolomew Markov (Illgeo)
        newb (1 mission), con, uncon
    Ulrich Leland (AoshimaMichio)
        newb (1 mission), con, exo, aux
    Yaroslav Vetrov (Comrade P.)
        newb (0 mission), con
    Konrad Curtz (Corsair)
        con, aux
    Lyra (lenglon)
        exo, med, uncon
    Flint Westwood (parisbre)
        Armored, flying, con, aux
    Irling (taalik)
        newb (0 mission), exo
    heroguy
        newb (0 mission)
    spazyak

You wake up in the hanger rather than the barracks, your stasis pod sitting on top of a gurney like a glass tube filled with lime jello. You climb out and flop onto the ground, where crew men immediately help you up, towel you off, and get you dressed. Your gear is thrust into your hands and the crew men lead you over to large, black, metallic pods, things which look the a spherical metal cockpit. They're trailing wires and tubes, clearly having been separated from some larger whole.  The get you into the pod and strap you down, securing multipoint harnesses before loading your gear in at your feet. The chair inside is form fitting, and you sink into it, almost completely immobile. Dull red lights blink on inside the pod as the crew close the hatch. You hear them bolt it closed and a moment later the pod is moving.

"We're taking you for installation in the drop system." A voice says over the pod's intercom, scratchy and metallic "It's gonna carry that pod of yours all the way down to the surface. Once you land, the hatch door will automatically eject and the harness should release you. If it doesn't, get a teammate to help ya by pressing that red button right in front of you. It will send an emergency signal to everyone else. Don't press it unless you're stuck"

After a while the movement stops. There's a lull for a long period and the sound of machines. Pneumatic wrenches squeal somewhere nearby and there's a constant, steady thumping and grinding of metal. Your pod moves, jerked up and then twisted so you're laying on your back rather then sitting up straight. You feel the vibrations of the motor of whatever is holding you, and then they cease as your pod is slotted solidly into something. It moves slightly as fasteners are tightened, but then everything is silent. Time passes.

"We're loading the pod cluster into the cannon now" A voice on the intercom says after an indeterminate amount of time, "It's a low power shot, just enough to get you on the right trajectory and send you on your way. The drop system will guide you and and set you down together. Stand by."

The pod moves again, shifting sideways and then up before coming to rest.

"Pod internals anti-magnetism activating. Beginning coil charge."

Your skin tingles and it feels like the pod is rocking, or floating. 

"Charge at 50%. 60, 68, 75, 84, 98, 99, Ready.  Don't bite your tongue, don't hold your breath, don't tense up or try to lift your head. Close your mouth, stay limp. Breath out in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1."

It feels like you're falling, or rather like you've been fired straight downward out of the barrel of a gun. Which, you suppose, is actually rather accurate. The feeling of acceleration fades rather quickly and then you're weightless.  Time passes. Hours. They pipe music in through the intercom to kill the time, occasionally letting you know about the course. The long arc down towards the single, wandering planet. When the retrorockets flare on you barely feel them. The maneuvering thrusters kick on not long afterwards and you know, thanks to the crew, that you're coming in sideways, skimming down towards the planet on the edge of it's upper atmosphere.

"Disconnecting drop system in 3, 2, 1"

The pod shakes and jerks hard to one side. It rumbles and shutters, the inside grows warm and you can feel the rockets vibrating under your boots.  Then nothing, a rushing of air, a hiss of occasional trajectory corrections or jerk as the system boosts to prevent you from falling too fast. When the pod finally lands, it's like the shot from the cannon but in reverse. You almost black out and the harness strains against your chest hard enough that you're sure you're gonna have a 5 point bruise tomorrow. Everything is quiet, except your breathing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:57:09 pm by piecewise »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 01:39:57 pm »

EDIT from the future:  In-thread team list!

Team A:
Hasala (Swordsmith)
Johnothen (Execute/Dumbo.exe)
Yaroslav (Comrade P)
Flint (Parisbre56)
Irling (taalik)
Konrad (Corsair)

Team B:
Lars (Toaster)
Han (Doomblade187)
Bartolomew (Illgeo)
Ulrich (AoshimaMichio)
Billy (heroguy111)
Lyra (Lenglon)
Zoltan (spazyak)

Brother Lars smiles.  It was a great day to land.  "Praise be to the gods, for we are all alive!"

Unhook, hop out, and get in the Battlesuit.  Pray for the team.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 10:30:33 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 01:49:40 pm »

*waits for hatch to open*
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 01:50:21 pm »

After the hatch ejected and restraining belts let go (they do, right?), Yaroslav took a moment to appreciate lack of some mundane discomforts he would normally go through during landing.

Then, get chemthrower fixed by my side along with extra cannisters, pick combat knife, too; take two-handed sword in my hand and protrude outside, looking out for teammates and CO.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:07:30 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 01:53:44 pm »

Ulrich Leland. Location: Somewhere

Brother Lars smiles.  It was a great day to land.  "Praise be to the gods, for we are all alive!"

"I would propose a toast to this, but it might be better to wait until mission is over."

Gather my stuff. Open hatch and look surroundings, see if anyone/anything is close. Do not step out of pod yet unless it is necessary.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Illgeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 02:57:19 pm »

Collect my equipment. Unhook myself,  open hatch, assess surroundings.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:06 pm »

Assuming I am not inside Gilgamesh:
First priority is to get ready to get out and get my equipment ready as I wait for the hatch to open. Have my monorazor ready.
If the hatch doesn't open automatically, do what the good sir from the speaker suggested.
If it opens, be ready for anything attacking me. Also check the ground to make sure it's not doing anything strange.
If all looks reasonably well, carefully make my way towards where our equipment is so I can get inside Gilgamesh. Help any teammates along the way, if possible.
Once inside, take a look around with cameyes. Anything coming at us? Any sign of our objective? Anything interesting?
If nothing is wrong, help any teammates around with their pods and equipment.

Assuming I am inside Gilgamesh:
Take a look around with cameyes. Anything coming at us? Any sign of our objective? Anything interesting?
If nothing is wrong, help any teammates around with their pods and equipment.

Regardless:
What's the deal with that equipment we were going to get, like jeeps and gunnerbots? Do we have that?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:16:27 pm by Parisbre56 »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 04:27:01 pm »

When his pod lands, Hasala rubs the spot where the harness bit into him. That'll cause brusing... or would have, if not for his genemod, he reflected.

Wait for the harness and door to open. If it does, stand up and gear up. Don't step on the groundflesh yet. Look around; did I land on-target? Are there any other drop pods nearby?

If the harness and door don't disengage, press the button and see if I can get at my gear from here. If I can, and the harness has no way of manually disengaging it, use my +1 Dexterity and my combat knife to carefully cut myself out of the harness.

"Snapdragon, sound off. Everyone get down in one piece?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:32:20 pm »

"This is Brother Lars, alive in prayer.  Blessed be Steve for delivering us safely."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »

Bloody drop systems always sucks to land, time to report in"This is Konrad reporting in"
Once the harness releases get out and armour up (milnoplate + kevlar jacket) then grab PAWN-SFE and attach the tripod so that it can be used in AUX mode from relative safety, pick it up along with baton and shield and get ready to move. Also examine surroundings
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:18:32 am by Corsair »
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 04:45:59 pm »

- Vetrov here, reporting in.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

heroguy111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:11:12 pm »

Hop out of drop pod. put on sharksuit. grab combat knife and Gauss rifle. "A bit excited but good, Brother Lars would you mind leading us in a quick prayer so that we might not die on this mission?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 05:12:49 pm by heroguy111 »

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:44:34 pm »

grab knife and it slide into belt. put on mkII if not on already. stand near door with laser rifle in hand.
anything we could do with the magnetron I mean this is a fungus, fungi have lots of water in them. oh and reporting...is the landing usually this hard?
(((char sheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UAbkp5RDL0nbZZfuOXFm53u4uFjJ3aOh0e-5T0938Kk/edit#heading=h.k48sde0txvh )))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:47:24 pm by spazyak »
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 07:03:34 pm »

"This is Ragnar. I seem to have survived the landing, so that's good." Irling laughs. See you momentarily.

Unbuckle myself, suit up, and collect my gear. If/when the hatch opens, cautiously examine surroundings from inside the pod.

If the door doesn't open, request help on the coms.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 07:10:16 pm »

"Certainly, brother!  O Steve, we thank you for allowing us to land safely!  We send out our prayers to Algis, so that his shielding hands may cover us on our journey!  We ask Cog-azaon to bless our humble selves with the knowledge we need to accomplish our goal!  May we ever walk in the light of Steve, and may Pathmas find us in his favor!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 51