Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51

Author Topic: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.  (Read 78651 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mission 20: Snapdragon Team: Hidden Fun Stuff.
« Reply #480 on: June 01, 2015, 10:52:32 pm »

"Commander Hasala, I don't believe I will be able to move far on my own.  I will provide fire support."

Lars closed his eyes for a moment as his suit locked into a bracing position.

"I am prepared to fight to the last to support this mission.  I will be all the distraction I can be."

His eyes fell on the nuclear device he had with him.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 01, 2015, 11:46:26 pm »

"Once we land... Should wait for the stragglers, like that Flint guy? Or are we jus' gonna leave with whoever's there?"

Depends. It sounds like Flint is both near a target, and controls some of the more expensive hardware we have on the surface. It also sounds like he's buried in a hole... With that in mind.

Skylar switches his radio back on
Hello Snapdragon, this is your Extraction pilot speaking. My priority here is going to be to get whoever I can home safe, especially this Shuttle. After all, we're not going anywhere without it... Depending on how loud it still is when we get there, it could be a very short stop.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 02, 2015, 01:09:24 am »

I treat any/all current bleeders in the jeep (that red stuff is supposed to stay INSIDE you, stop leaking!) before preparing myself mentally for using my amps for the first time all mission (+3 Exo, +2 Mind, microwave and mass manip amps, would prefer to use mass manip for attacks on the worm) and watch the DeathWorm. If it's about to attack us, I'm going to stop it, and maybe kill it.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 02, 2015, 02:31:38 am »

Hello Snapdragon, this is your Extraction pilot speaking. My priority here is going to be to get whoever I can home safe, especially this Shuttle. After all, we're not going anywhere without it... Depending on how loud it still is when we get there, it could be a very short stop.
"I have most of the surviving team members at my position in the Jeep only Flint and Lars are absent from our group right now, I recommend coming for us first as going for Flint may result in the loss of the shuttle and we can simply pick lars up on the way back. We will be traveling through the valley in the southeast soon."

"Konrad, take us south-southeast, please. Through that valley over there*. Lars, Flint, we're headed to a spot several map tiles south of your position. Try to make your way there on your own, if you can."

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
"Understood Sir!"

Follow directions and continue driving fast yet relatively safe avoiding areas that are con-caved inward and sticking to ridges safe enough to drive on
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #484 on: June 02, 2015, 05:23:15 am »

"There's no holding back against this thing."
Quote from: Lyra to Snapdragon
Amp?

Quote from: Flint
No Communication
Quote from: Lyra to Flint
Brain?
"If you can't help, then make your way to the shuttle and get ready to leave. I'll try to get the brain or at least keep it distracted as long as I can. Once the shuttles are there, get everyone on them and leave. Lars, if I'm not there by then, I'm going to need you to leave me your nuke."
((I did communicate the previous turn. Unless Lyra is asking for clarifications on what Flint said, in which case I will respond.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 02, 2015, 06:52:09 am »

((I'm missing important tactical info - namely that the brain is inside the worm, and only in one small section of it.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #486 on: June 02, 2015, 07:11:51 am »

((I'm missing important tactical info - namely that the brain is inside the worm, and only in one small section of it.))
((Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, but the "no communication" bit confused me.))

Quote from: Lyra to Flint
Brain?
"Yep. In the worm. In my position. Trying to cut the worm in half so I can get the brain and kill the worm. Ask Steve to overlay my feed on your faceplate if you want to see it and get a feeling about where it is."

"And if I die, I suggest you try to microwave the brain before it has a chance to move out of sight. Because this thing is long. Really long. Like at least three map tiles long. And it can dig through rock."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #487 on: June 02, 2015, 12:12:20 pm »

RESCUE TEAM
(Time till landing: 4 turns, including this one)
Much like the other rescue team, you're now coming in towards the planet and there's a question of whether or not you think a player should drive the shuttle or if you should leave it up to the standard rolls.

Oh and steve tells you about the worm and warns you to try not to fly directly into its mouth.

Assuming direct control, with 'experience' flying ships. That may or may not have been on fire or falling from the sky. I blame Jack. I think it was his fault. Probably.
Alright, you assume control of the shuttle.  You're coming down into the upper atmosphere now.

((Ah, kinda sad he died. I kinda wish I had attacked the worm sooner so I could save him.))

The most sensible thing it seems that you could do right now, if you want to engage the critter, is to burrow straight back up through the rock and engage it on the surface.
Run away and leave my teammates to die? Never!
Besides, why try to cut through hard rock when you can cut through soft flesh?
You could theoretically fit inside it...maybe. It's quite thick but you're not really sure how big the insidey bits are. It appears to be covered in some kind of carapace, but you don't know its properties.

Uh, I didn't assume you're on the worm because, well, the cave straight up isn't large enough for you to just nicely drop down onto the worm's back and ride it out like a subway train. This thing is more burrowing through stone and the cave rather then just following the cave out.
Ah, I think I see the problem then. And the solution. Now there's the question of which weapon to choose... The carapace could be immune to energy weapons like plasma and I currently lack kinetic weapons... But, as they say, there's no problem that cannot be solved via space magic!

"Oh, I see! Running away, eh?! You yellow bastard! I'm going to give you what's coming to you."

Switch Rainbow Cannon to Green Shotgun. It fires green light that creates spheres that dissolve stuff, so its space-magicky nature should be something the planet has not encountered while we're here and should be able to get through any armour the worm has (be it anti-kinetic or anti-energy) more easily.

Be on the lookout for things that could attack me, try to attack them before they attack me.

Try to run either towards the front of the brain section of the worm or its back, preferably the front if I can make it relatively quickly. No need to go all the way there if I can't make it, around 20 metres should be enough, unless my cameyes can identify the brain and tell me I should go further away.

Once there, find a good spot for cutting with cameyes and use liberal application of Rapid Fire Rainbow Cannon and Continuous Fire Mining Laser to cut through it. All the way through. If my green balls are not enough to defeat the giant alien worm's armour alone, use them in combination with punching, kinamp-punching, overdrive mode kinamp punching, overdrive mode pushing the pieces apart, anime-style super fast punches, whatever I can/seems more likely to work. Try not to damage the brain, if possible.

If my green balls were enough to defeat the giant alien worm's armour, inspect the current situation. What's inside the worm? Can I see the brain? What's the worm doing?

My intention is to reduce its functionality and gain more intel and options. By cutting through it, I can see what's inside it, fire inside it and see if there's a brain in there and an easy way to retrieve. By cutting its back, I can reduce its mobility and give myself an anchor point I could use to ride it out. By cutting its front, I am forcing it to stop (since if it kept moving it could result to damage to the brain) and separating the front from the brain.

If at any point it looks like I'm about to die, as my final action try to fire several rapid fire blue lightning bolts (hopefully it will remain active after my death) or detonate my claymores or whatever else I can attack with close to the point where the nerves entered the worm and thus its armour should have a few holes.

I don't...you seem to be missing something here. The worm is moving out of what amounts to a tunnel with no clearance for you to stand on it. Right now you're standing in a stone tunnel that you dug into the side of the worm's tunnel, watching the worm move through the area. How are you going to "Run" up to anything? How are you going move towards the front of this rapidly moving worm when you can't run back through your tunnel, and you can't jump down onto the worm and run up it like an action hero in a train fight scene?

I don't understand what you're trying to do here. Do you still not understand the situation?

"I hear you, Commander Hasala.  May Ingram guide my shots!"

Brace down.  Get a fix on its head-analogue and fire the Gauss Cannon.
You grip the stone and wedge yourself into position before bringing the cannon down into firing position. Inside the cockpit, an aiming system deploys and brings a separate visor down over your eyes; it shows a camera with a feed from the cannon itself and an overlay of height and range info. Numbers and elevation lines scan up and down across the screen as you position the shot. You're a fair distance out, so you're going to have to arc it in. You adjust the elevation, centering the shot and trying to predict which way the creature is going to move. After a few seconds you reach over to the trigger system built into the right side of the cockpit and, after one last look at the display, pull the trigger.  The recoil is enough to lift you up, off your hands and almost all the way back up into a standing position before you fall back down. The round screams down range, a glint of metal instantly lost in the distance.

It will hit at the beginning of the next round. Now remind me: Did you ask for non-nuclear rounds?

I treat any/all current bleeders in the jeep (that red stuff is supposed to stay INSIDE you, stop leaking!) before preparing myself mentally for using my amps for the first time all mission (+3 Exo, +2 Mind, microwave and mass manip amps, would prefer to use mass manip for attacks on the worm) and watch the DeathWorm. If it's about to attack us, I'm going to stop it, and maybe kill it.
You check up on everyone who is injured, making sure whatever lack luster repair or patch jobs someone else has done are holding.

"I have most of the surviving team members at my position in the Jeep only Flint and Lars are absent from our group right now, I recommend coming for us first as going for Flint may result in the loss of the shuttle and we can simply pick lars up on the way back. We will be traveling through the valley in the southeast soon."

"Konrad, take us south-southeast, please. Through that valley over there*. Lars, Flint, we're headed to a spot several map tiles south of your position. Try to make your way there on your own, if you can."

Spoiler: * (click to show/hide)
"Understood Sir!"

Follow directions and continue driving fast yet relatively safe avoiding areas that are con-caved inward and sticking to ridges safe enough to drive on
You make it another space west, before the jeep jerks hard and gets one of its tires stuck in a hole. You gun the engine and try to back out or drive through, but it seems as though the vehicle is hopelessly wedged.

The Worm isn't following the jeep. In fact, it seems to be moving away. 

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #488 on: June 02, 2015, 12:24:10 pm »

Well, your description was what confused me. You said I could see the worm tear away from the nerves and that I could see that about 40 metres of it was covered by nerve points. Plus, my action said to drop inside the tunnel from above, not from the side. So I assumed that there was some space on its side, since I could see that far.

Perhaps you could give me a complete description of where I am and what I can see so that I can stop misunderstanding things? I tend to assume and infer a lot of things are the way it suits me, so unless I get a clear description I will probably continue misunderstanding things.

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 02, 2015, 12:33:31 pm »

Also, if we're listing weapons, I have a microwave psychokinetic amplifier. I'm not exactly an expert on using it, but it might be useful.
I have a laser rifle with a bayonet on it and a microwave oven turned into a microwave blunderbuss....I guess we could make popcorn if we wish

No offense, but I doubt a repurposed rad-oven is going to be all that useful. Anyhow, what's it like down there? I'd appreciate a rough headcount, if possible. It might also help if you piled up the dead, so they're easier to get aboard the shuttle quickly. If you can see the worm from your position, it wouldn't hurt if you could give us a quick description
two perma dead, three are uninjured, I think, one is underground, another unable to move. The rest of us are wounded. I can fight on if needed. It's just a missing eye.
Okay, let me rephrase my question: how many of you can get to the shuttle on your own, and how many will need to be carried in? Also, what threats are down there, excluding the worm, and what's this worm like? Basically, what will prevent us from cramming everyone in the shuttle and taking off?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »

What wonderful weather we're having.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #491 on: June 02, 2015, 01:01:49 pm »

Well, your description was what confused me. You said I could see the worm tear away from the nerves and that I could see that about 40 metres of it was covered by nerve points. Plus, my action said to drop inside the tunnel from above, not from the side. So I assumed that there was some space on its side, since I could see that far.

Perhaps you could give me a complete description of where I am and what I can see so that I can stop misunderstanding things? I tend to assume and infer a lot of things are the way it suits me, so unless I get a clear description I will probably continue misunderstanding things.

You can see so much because you're looking around with goddamn cameyes.

Imagine it like you've cut into a subway train tunnel with the train itself running through the tunnel under you. You can stick your head out into the tunnel a bit to look around in either direction, but there isn't enough clearance between the top of the train and the tunnel wall for you to drop down onto it safely, without betting yourself ground against the tunnel ceiling. You saw a bunch of things attached to one of the cars of the train as it passed, but now that  section has moved some distance down the tunnel and you're looking at later cars.

Do you understand that?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 02, 2015, 01:15:12 pm »

It will hit at the beginning of the next round. Now remind me: Did you ask for non-nuclear rounds?

((Looking back, it looks like I intended, but never specified, to get non-nuclear.  So I guess I got the default option!  Uhhh... oops?))

"Brothers of Steve, a nuclear round is inbound for the worm.  Get clear or may Algis shield you from the result."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 02, 2015, 03:14:28 pm »

(( So... we land on 1, or on 0? XD Edit: Okay, land at the end of 1, got it. ))

I hope you know I'm not flying into a nuclear firestorm.

Hmm... Steve, anything useful from the ship's data? Like if that worm is a target or just a weapon? Or how I can make the shuttle a little less of a target to it?

Continue flying, chat at Steve
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:47:46 pm by Kriellya »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #494 on: June 02, 2015, 03:46:46 pm »

(( So... we land on 1, or on 0? XD ))

I hope you know I'm not flying into a nuclear firestorm.

Hmm... Steve, anything useful from the ship's data? Like if that worm is a target or just a weapon? Or how I can make the shuttle a little less of a target to it?

Continue flying, chat at Steve
you land at the end of the turn three turns from now. SO not the next turn, nor the one after that, but at the end of the one after that.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 51