Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some trouble with worldgen  (Read 1027 times)

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
Some trouble with worldgen
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:45:26 pm »

Hey,

So I've crafted a sexy region is PerfectWorld and specified the following parameters:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically I'm perpetually getting regions rejected after placing Civs because, as the game put it, there's not enough fertile ground for the farms, although I made sure to include plenty of grassland and forest:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I do have some undefault races switched on, and I'll test to see if those guys are the issue, but do y'all know off the top of your heads what the root of the issue could be?

Edit: Well that was a quick fix. I lowered the civ count to 40. My first thought was that some of the Fortress Defense races had bugged agriculture, but it just seems the extra 4 civs were just competing for space. Should have been obvious to me but I figured it could happen if I made it try enough.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:05:31 pm by Lottanubs »

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some trouble with worldgen
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 02:20:04 pm »

I was going to say that your forests and plains only seem to amount for 50% at best, and the more civs you have, the more cultivable lands they need at the start.

If you have a quick look on most of the non-vanilla presets, you should notice that the cultivable lands amount for around 70% (and most of it is not "evil" too).

The world does look nice though, and 40 civs should be enough to have a bit of everything, so I hope you will enjoy your time with it.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 05:05:17 pm »

Quick followup: I've been skimming and I haven't found the option to turn off aquifers quite yet. Don't see an option for it in the worldgen params or the launcher where is was previously. Where can I find it?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 05:25:11 pm »

It's not yet in the new version, if that's what you are asking.

It is fairly easy to disable it by hand though, so here is how:
Go where you extracted the archive (where the GUI launcher is located).
Dwarf Fortress > raw > objects

There are 5 files that need an edit:
inorganic_stone_soil.txt
inorganic_archeology.txt
inorganic_fuel_masterwork.txt
inorganic_stone_mineral.txt
inorganic_stone_layer.txt

In each of these files, you need to either delete or replace each occurences of '[AQUIFER]'.
Personally, I like to do mass replace (ctrl+H) and change [AQUIFER] into AQUIFER]

It disables the Aquifer, but it does allow you to easily put it back later on if you want.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 05:29:59 pm »

Hah I missed the archaeology txt. Thanks.
And no, I will never be turning them back on. Good riddance!

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 05:37:16 pm »

Depending on what OS you use, the way to do it differs, but it is possible for your basic search tool to also search into .txt files.

In 7, it seems to be by default, in 8.1 (no clue about 8, never had it), you need to go to the "search" part of the menus that appears when you click in the search bar, and check the corresponding option in "Advanced options".
It does help a lot when you need to scan the raws for terms.

Please note that the exact terms might differ a bit, as my UI is not in English.