Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all  (Read 19688 times)

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod - Scratch that elf killing itch - Now pre-packaged!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 01:50:22 am »

I have had a peek at the barkspitter text documents. i think they do have potential. a culture that is a hybrid of elven and dwarven values, should be quite interesting. i think the turning clay and potash into wood sounds interesting as does growing woods that are hard as metal.It is a shame you can't create workshops yet, some kind of alchemy workshop where you could turn rock, wood or non-expensive metal into bronze, iron and steel would be good. Yet probably very hard to create. hhhhmmm? I do think giving them their own flavour will be important as well, a cool back story  and cultural identity will be important to make them truly unique, nit just some new reactions, weapons and workshops. still i amsure whatever you come up with splint, it will be good and interesting. good luck with developing them, mate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 02:22:18 am »

Well, thanks to ArKFallen I can actually make the shops and may get a better handle on reactions. I've already made the wood growing building and metalwood armory, such as it is. But at least now I can put the buildings in.

As to making alloys, I figure for crafting metals, any cut gem would do, plus the needed ores and a number of logs proportional to the number of ores involved, or based on value. Two logs for a silver and copper ore to get sterling silver or billion-based woods, one iron for one log to get and ironwood for example. It isn't efficient, but it does use essentially limitless resources and doesn't need fuel to get and would be almost as good in the case of the combat woods (but still inferior in the end to proper metal.)

For steelwood, I'd probably go with four flux and two iron ore, one flux as a catalyst, one to take the place of coal, two for the usual steelmaking process and yielding three steelwood.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 06:30:01 am »

Well all of that sounds promising. Barksplitter elves having steelwood spears, swords and armour sounds good. Especially if they are useing those items to crush any high elf invaders. good work splint.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 03:33:57 pm »

Welp, they definitely work as intended. There's no "CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE" message because of the snatcher tag, but they work. The outland elves attacked as planned, and killed everyone because my soldiers derped up and wouldn't follow a station order, possibly due to being horrified. Can't say I liked the outcome for my dorfs, but at least the mod works!

Make sure you check your maps in legends or at ge, and settle close as you can to where the guys you wanna fight are and any other races are very far off at least.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 05:23:33 am »

As far as I know the "CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE" is not affected by the snatching tag. It's either  [TREE_CAP_DIPLOMACY] or [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:UNTHINKABLE] that makes ambushes/sieges say this. I had Automaton (intelligent machines) attacks that shouted about that, which is why I changed these tags. I'm fairly certain that it was the ETHIC:KILL_PLANT thing.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 01:17:56 pm »

Well, they all have both. The only real difference is an acceptance of slavery and the snatching tag as far as anything like that goes.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 06:45:01 am »

In that case their ambushes and sieges should give you the message. Single thieves or snatchers will just get a "protect your children" etc. That's normal.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 11:45:09 am »

this is a very nice mod, i have had a lot of fun with one fortress so far and i would recommend it to others. sometimes the names of the armour and weapons need to be looked up on wikipedia (as i am not exactly sure what they are, which is amusing as i like medieval history) yet overall this mod works very well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 04:33:21 pm »

this is a very nice mod, i have had a lot of fun with one fortress so far and i would recommend it to others. sometimes the names of the armour and weapons need to be looked up on wikipedia (as i am not exactly sure what they are, which is amusing as i like medieval history) yet overall this mod works very well.

Glad to hear.  :)

The weapons as said are from Stal's Armory. And to be honest the first time I used that mod I had to look up some of the weapons (the pernach and partisan spring to mind.)

Still fiddling with the barksplitters. Between looking for a job and a bunch of other crap all sorts of projects have been bogged down.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 06:36:47 am »

fair play buddy. good luck with finding a job, i hope something comes your way, in the near future. take care dude.

kingofthenerdz3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2015, 02:01:26 am »

Interesting.  I think I will install it

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 05:05:13 pm »

Alright, so after fiddling with some stuff, I've come to a conclusion I can't make the things attack all at once. As such, a coming fresh release will have some alterations.

So I've decided to stagger out the elves' active seasons for the next go, and include Horrors, predatory critters based on the cave and jungle horrors from Runescape that are prone to rage and like to steal food, drink, and squish dorfs and anything else. I'll also include thier optional entity, which subs stealing supplies for smashing stuff - Locked doors won't stop them. They're intended to make the caverns and more densely forested places more dangerous, savagery be damned.

Insurgents - Being local elves, they'll attack in Spring in a bid to kill thier loyalist kin.
Outlanders - Summer, with orders to disrupt trade with humans if they can.
High Elves - Autumn. This being the most important caravan of all, the High Elves will try to strangle this caravan themselves.
Outcast - Winter is when the societal refuse is sent in. Nobody cares about them amongst the other elf forces, so they aren't even trusted to try and hurt trade. Alternatively when I get the Barksplitters working, they'll be trying to harass barksplitter caravans.

Native Elves will be renamed to Loyalist Elves (as in they're loyal to thier fellow sapients/longstanding neighbors in the region.)
High Elves no longer use wooden weapons or armor. Seems it overwrote the ability to use metallic gear.
Goblins have been reinstated, necessitating number of civs get a 5 civ boost in world gen. Prior to this I had thier starting number set to 0.

If someone can tell me why the moded elves aren't using thier graphics properly, that'd be great. At present they look like multi-colored Dittos when using Phoebus.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New version released!

CHANGES - ENTITIES
-Native Elves renamed to Loyalists. Fixed thier active seasons.
-Added Beasts to torment you in forested/wetland areas and the caverns, along with an entity to attack you head on. Don't underestimate these gorilla-sized brutes.
-Rival dwarves will now try to steal your wealth!
-All hostile civs changed to thieving civs to hopefully reduce open hostility among themselves.
-Active Seasons tweaked due to raid parties from separate civs fighting eachother.

CHANGES - OTHER
-Added three new materials: Lead- and Platinum-cored steel, and Strongsteel.
-Added Display Cases
-Added a new workshop: The War Forge. Produces cored blunt weapons and strongsteel swords/axes.
-Pyromancers now walk the land, raising the dead as fire spirits to fight all comers. [credit to StagnantSoul]

Have fun folks. Link's in the OP.

Also, if I were to make a backwards patch for 34.11, would anyone be interested?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You are starting to add random features into the elf-mod? Beware, this way lies madness and major mods. ;)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are starting to add random features into the elf-mod? Beware, this way lies madness and major mods. ;)

Define random features. The elves are still the catalyst behind everything! Even the new materials/workshop are intended to mainly take down thick-skulled (trolls and the like,) and better armored enemies (the steel-using High Elves and Rival Dwarves,) than what the average dwarf will face.

Granted the pyromancers were a random addition, but I wanted to add a little extra threat besides boring old zombies for people who like to play with secrets on.

I guess I can also call the beasts random, but I was tired of the quiet embarks. Those buggers make things nice and dangerous for infant forts.

Speaking of, I was kicking around an idea of "civilized" yeti that live in tundras and similar frozen wastelands that are violently xenophobic and use similar tech to humans/goblins, to hopefully allow some measure of enemy action in ice-region fortresses. Best not to ask where the get the fuel for their forges.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5