Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all  (Read 19697 times)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

You are starting to add random features into the elf-mod? Beware, this way lies madness and major mods. ;)

Define random features. The elves are still the catalyst behind everything! Even the new materials/workshop are intended to mainly take down thick-skulled (trolls and the like,) and better armored enemies (the steel-using High Elves and Rival Dwarves,) than what the average dwarf will face.

Granted the pyromancers were a random addition, but I wanted to add a little extra threat besides boring old zombies for people who like to play with secrets on.

I guess I can also call the beasts random, but I was tired of the quiet embarks. Those buggers make things nice and dangerous for infant forts.

Speaking of, I was kicking around an idea of "civilized" yeti that live in tundras and similar frozen wastelands that are violently xenophobic and use similar tech to humans/goblins, to hopefully allow some measure of enemy action in ice-region fortresses. Best not to ask where the get the fuel for their forges.

What level of balance are you aiming for with the invasions? Constant, unending siege? Simultaneous sieges? At least one siege per season, or one siege per year? Do the different types of elves murder each other?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

You are starting to add random features into the elf-mod? Beware, this way lies madness and major mods. ;)

Define random features. The elves are still the catalyst behind everything! Even the new materials/workshop are intended to mainly take down thick-skulled (trolls and the like,) and better armored enemies (the steel-using High Elves and Rival Dwarves,) than what the average dwarf will face.

Granted the pyromancers were a random addition, but I wanted to add a little extra threat besides boring old zombies for people who like to play with secrets on.

I guess I can also call the beasts random, but I was tired of the quiet embarks. Those buggers make things nice and dangerous for infant forts.

Speaking of, I was kicking around an idea of "civilized" yeti that live in tundras and similar frozen wastelands that are violently xenophobic and use similar tech to humans/goblins, to hopefully allow some measure of enemy action in ice-region fortresses. Best not to ask where the get the fuel for their forges.

What level of balance are you aiming for with the invasions? Constant, unending siege? Simultaneous sieges? At least one siege per season, or one siege per year? Do the different types of elves murder each other?

Ideally at least a few few attacks a year (be it sieges or ambushes.) And the elves did kill eachother last release, but I've fixed this since then and staggered out their forces so they don't attack eachother. Apparently at least with snatcher races, raid parties from different civs would attack other raiders.

I can't go the Fort Defense route with no communication, otherwise they'd be too busy fighting eachother to bother the player.

As to the yeti civ, any thoughts? Anyone?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

You could give them ice breath.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, funny enough, someone else had that exact same idea.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

You know, funny enough, someone else had that exact same idea.

The term "yeti" is not very evocative to me by itself - but if they are an invader race, you could also do things like make their weapons out of ice gems, give them a frost-cloth the way angels use shimmering cloth as clothing, maybe give them a syndrome that turns other creatures into ice zombies. If they're going to be the only enemy in the north, make me fear the silhouettes in the snow.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm... Those all actually sound pretty good. Dunno about the frost breath thing (never really worked for the frost giants in Masterwork,) but the rest sounds pretty badass.

Dunno how I'd go about doing it though.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

You can add a custom metal, then give the yeti entity exclusive access to the rxn that makes it. You can give them renamed "frost weapons" with slightly better weapon properties; same with armor. For the reaction, you want it to thrall or make the target berserk. You can look at weres for transforming syndromes. Make it ranged.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know what, the thralling thing is a bit much now that I think about it. A yeti-based enemy is already 5 times the size of a dwarf, and virtually guaranteed to stunlock poorly trained soldiers. Thralling would be a bit much.

As to the metal, I'm thinking just a strongsteel analogue, but as their only metal. That'd certainly make those cored weapons even more  attractive.

I take it with the cloth the same can apply?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

You know what, the thralling thing is a bit much now that I think about it. A yeti-based enemy is already 5 times the size of a dwarf, and virtually guaranteed to stunlock poorly trained soldiers. Thralling would be a bit much.

As to the metal, I'm thinking just a strongsteel analogue, but as their only metal. That'd certainly make those cored weapons even more  attractive.

I take it with the cloth the same can apply?

Yes, just give it the same can_armor as steel.

If the thralling is a bit much just give it to a rare caste: ice walker yetis. Then the player has to kill those with different tactics. You can also just make it a paralyzing syndrome with a cooldown.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:39:37 pm by darkflagrance »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The thralling is out man. It honestly just comes off as redundant when, you know, there's that whole "4 times the size of the next largest people they might fight" thing.

However, I will be giving them an emission attack which should be able to punch through copper or possibly bronze armor (standing in for every warrior carrying some javlins,) and they'll be using weapons that make the most of thier huge size and sheer strength, and steel-grade kit.

Also considering having them leave an itemcorpse that can be stripped at the craftsdwarf to get frostweave cloth (to make magically heat-resistant clothing,) and one to four spikes (looted javelins.) Thoughts on that?

Second also, anyone got any ideas for names? All I got was Yotarin (from a friend,) and Frostwalkers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next mod version's going to be coming with the Naukan, big yeti-like bastards who toss javelins made from Briitanivi-okuika, and make the most of thier size by making use of weapons too large for a dwarf to wield made from Mit-okuika - strong ice and Magic ice respectively. They reside in frigid lands (glaciers if possible, tundras, and taigas,) and would much rather be left alone, and will not hesitate to attack those they consider to be intruders as soon as they are aware of them. Additionally, I'm going to go ahead and make a backwards patch for 34.11. And yes, I felt it necessary to show off bits of the language crapped out by Talvieno's LangCreate utility.

Naukanic Strong Ice is undergoing some density testing (as to represent each warrior carrying a small number of what are for them war darts they use an emission attack,) but ideally I want it to be able to punch through copper and shred leather/bone, making it necessary to get better materials for armor ASAP if they come to play. If anyone knows what values I need to make it so bronze and better material armors can at least keep injury to a minimum, it'd be appreciated.

Naukanic Magic Ice will have stats will be on par with the boosted steel used in the War Forge to make axes and swords, and respond to heat so that the gear they leave behind can be reforged should the player want to do so.

EDIT: Also considering adding some decoration reactions to the War Forge, so that soldiers can literally have thier gear made to order with decorations.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Idea for the Yetis: Stay away from the ice-breath, but make them building_destroyers, just like trolls.

There is also a fancy script that I use to add minions and mounts to civs, so you can give them their own creatures they bring in invasions. Yetis riding War-Yaks, bringing Dire-wolves and Snow Ogres with them for example.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Idea for the Yetis: Stay away from the ice-breath, but make them building_destroyers, just like trolls.

There is also a fancy script that I use to add minions and mounts to civs, so you can give them their own creatures they bring in invasions. Yetis riding War-Yaks, bringing Dire-wolves and Snow Ogres with them for example.

It's not a breath attack, it's a straight material projectile attack. They chuck a volley of darts and then charge into melee (how long do I need to make the cooldown so they can only use it once per year? Aiming to make it a once per battle ability pretty much.)

I did however, already make them upper end building destroyers.  :)

I've also got them set up with thier own custom material for weapons and armor, and decided for now to make them use cavern goods fo other stuff. They'll also use evil creatures to hopefully encourage them to use blizzard men and such in battle.

I'd sort of like to stay away from DFHack witchery if I can help it, since I don't know how to do literally anything with it on the scripting side and I don't want the mod dependant on it. Can't say it isn't tempting though.

I will admit though, as I keep fiddling I keep thinking "this needs more of something, but I dunno what..."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

400000 is roughly one year.

You can make them excellent climbers. Or give them a syndrome that simulates cold and makes dwarves numb, dizzy, slow etc... and only dwarves wearing yeti-fur clothing are immune.

Another dhack thing: You could give them the ability to create a snow-storm. Every time yetis attack, it instantly starts to snow. That's mostly decorational, but an interesting feature. Also stops fires, so you cant stop them that way, and will give dwarves a minor bad thought. Command is just "weather snow" ran with syndrome-trigger.

You can make their bodies out of ice, that way their corpses melt after they die. It's a neat way of cleaning up after an invasion.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

400000 is roughly one year.

You can make them excellent climbers. Or give them a syndrome that simulates cold and makes dwarves numb, dizzy, slow etc... and only dwarves wearing yeti-fur clothing are immune.

Another dhack thing: You could give them the ability to create a snow-storm. Every time yetis attack, it instantly starts to snow. That's mostly decorational, but an interesting feature. Also stops fires, so you cant stop them that way, and will give dwarves a minor bad thought. Command is just "weather snow" ran with syndrome-trigger.

You can make their bodies out of ice, that way their corpses melt after they die. It's a neat way of cleaning up after an invasion.

I assume I put that under CDI:WAIT_PERIOD?

As to your damn black magic, stop being so damn tempting! Cause that'd certainly add a certain level of stagey/showiness to early attacks.

Syndrome and ice bodies - The syndrome isn't much good against armored opponents (being unable to break the skin through metal plating,) and I don't want them to be like the frost giants, just leaving piles of implied bones behind. :P Just normal, large, fleshy , fur-covered, violently xenophobic,  snow people.

EDIT: Misread the syndrome thing. Still doesn't really feel... Right.

EDIT II: Alright, definitely need to downpower the magic ice. In even fights of equal skill and comparable equipment, naukan had trouble hitting the dwarves due to thier better shields and smaller size presumably, and dwarves couldn't punch through thier armor. It took a squad of hammer and macedwarves using platinum cored weaponry to finally have a test reach a conclusion, as the magic ice was simply too sturdy for even the best steel to get through otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5