Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all  (Read 19689 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2015, 09:12:34 pm »

I'll be following this, looks promising :)  Query; does the mod add more/bigger Elven civs to supply their war efforts, or just make the existing civs more hostile?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2015, 10:48:14 pm »

I'll be following this, looks promising :)  Query; does the mod add more/bigger Elven civs to supply their war efforts, or just make the existing civs more hostile?

It presently adds three more elf civs, one of which has metal equipment: Insurgents, Outlanders, and High Elves. They are a little artificially larger with larger numbers of births. These shitheads are the primary antagonists, or more if army pathfinding worked right they'd be that.

It also adds the Naukan (xenophobic yeti people,) in colder areas and rival dwarves, "Beasts," and pyromancy as additional threats.

All of them are intended to be hostile for various reasons (Naukan hate everyone, Rivals want the same stuff you do, elves are invading, goblins are shits, pyromancers basically made arson a career,) and beasts are just hungry monsters that like to break things.

Now I looking into doing something with humans (giving them a full and rather uninventive fantasy kingdom feel,) and add some new alloys for the dwarves to make use of. Unfortunately, since I don't know how to do half the shit I'd like to, that sorta hamstrings a lot of ideas.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2015, 07:59:11 am »

Sweet.  Looks like I'll be searching for a frozen forest in my new world, lol.  Although I'm going to miss the Brick Oven of Masterwork, the lack of non-beast visitors has really put a damper on my enthusiasm of late.  I'll definitely be giving EI a try this weekend.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2015, 12:37:49 pm »

Well don't get too excited, since as anything on 40.24 this mod is subject to the hit-or-miss nature of invaders.

Hence the inclusion of  almost omnipresent highly aggressive lizard-gorillas in the caverns and forested areas.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2015, 10:31:57 am »

Sweet.  Looks like I'll be searching for a frozen forest in my new world, lol.  Although I'm going to miss the Brick Oven of Masterwork, the lack of non-beast visitors has really put a damper on my enthusiasm of late.  I'll definitely be giving EI a try this weekend.

You could probably use them both at the same time if you wished. Just check the errors to make sure they aren't conflicting when you merge their raw folders.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You could probably use them both at the same time if you wished. Just check the errors to make sure they aren't conflicting when you merge their raw folders.

Weaponry and entity files for the dwarves, humans, and basic elves probably would at the very least have some problems, since this mod uses an entirely different gear-set than masterwork.

I only just saw this, so probably moot now.

Anyway, since I'm finally starting to work on them humans, might have to poke around for some better understanding of that force multiplier stuff.

For the time being, humans'll be getting a similar treatment to the elves, and receive a set of armor for flavor reasons. I'm thinking maybe about removing whips as dedicated weapons, because honestly it doesn't make much sense; whips are tools, not really dedicated weapons of war, and I'm not really sure if there's metallic whips any moron can pick up and use semi-effectively out there.

Additionally, I might rename them, if I or someone else has a good idea for that, and possibly include the "bandit" faction from the 34.11 version when I get around to the next release.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile

Weaponry and entity files for the dwarves, humans, and basic elves probably would at the very least have some problems, since this mod uses an entirely different gear-set than masterwork.

I only just saw this, so probably moot now.

Anyway, since I'm finally starting to work on them humans, might have to poke around for some better understanding of that force multiplier stuff.

For the time being, humans'll be getting a similar treatment to the elves, and receive a set of armor for flavor reasons. I'm thinking maybe about removing whips as dedicated weapons, because honestly it doesn't make much sense; whips are tools, not really dedicated weapons of war, and I'm not really sure if there's metallic whips any moron can pick up and use semi-effectively out there.

Additionally, I might rename them, if I or someone else has a good idea for that, and possibly include the "bandit" faction from the 34.11 version when I get around to the next release.

The mods will still be "compatible" if you import all the weapon/armor files for both mods, and they don't have any duplicate names, so that each race has access to a piece of equipment of the name referenced in their entity file. Even if the dwarves/humans are different in each version, it won't matter if one set of files overwrites the other so that there are no duplicates. Of course, my naive interpretation might be wrong, in which case there would be problems. If it is, I apologize.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it's more I'm concerned about the entity files -  They don't use any of the same weapons (short swords are now short arming swords while spears are now more varied into regular, hewing, and boar spears, for example.)

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile

You can have weapons that no one uses, you just can't have duplicates of the same token.  In the former case, you might see one pop out of a strange mood.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]