Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Elf Invasion mod 1.3 - Scratch that elf killing itch - The cold lands see all  (Read 19596 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

ELF INVASION MOD
Hello! Took a little bit to get running, but I did it (with some help from Meph and a contribution from Stalhansch.)

I was working on a mod to help me scratch my itch to kill elves and do a community story to boot, and I've decided to release this here. The mod can be found here, just drag and drop, replace what it asks to replace and gen a new world using advanced world gen!

A patch for 34.11 is also available here. Note, it is a RAW ONLY PATCH.

CURSE ALL FRIENDS OF NATURE!
The Elves march to war, be it with you or against you. But mostly against you.
LOYALIST
Standard elves. No changes. Embroiled in a bitter civil war with the insurgent elves.
INSURGENT
Standard elves on the side of the invaders. Fighting a bloody war with the Loyalists.
OUTCAST
Different gear-set, represent cultural dissidents rounded up and sent to die for thier High Elf overlords.
OUTLAND
Invading elves with a different gear set, from a story standpoint they form the bulk of the invading elves, gladly following the High Elves into battle to defend nature from everyone else.
HIGH
Hypocrites bent on conquest, using defense of nature as thier excuse. They use metal gear salvaged from conquests, while using wooden items and buildings or commandeering old coal mines in thier conquests to fuel their furnaces to produce more.

BEASTS ROAM THE WORLD!
A new threat lurks in the forests and jungles of the world, and still others roam the lands in massive hordes.
JUNGLE BEASTS
Prowling the tropical lands of the region are the Jungle Beast. A scaley ape-like creature with pinkish eyes, they are numerous, breed and grow quickly, possessed of extreme aggression, and eat or drink anything they can get thier hands on. They can come in hordes of up to 20 individuals, and are more than a match for small militia forces lacking in discipline.
FOREST BEASTS
Preying on those who would call the deciduous and confier forests of the world home, Forest Beasts behave the same as thier tropical kin, differing mainly in coloration.
CAVE BEASTS
In the underdark of the world, the monsters that hunt in the woodlands and swamps have also taken well to the brutallity of cavern life. Like thier surface brethren, they come in  large numbers and are a serious danger to the inattentive Overseer's dwarves.
ROAMING BEASTS
A mix of all three others, Roaming Beasts are loosely organized hordes led by Horde Lords (as civilized folk call the alphas,) these beasts settle wherever they can find space, and attack any and all for food and drink, and more than capable of breaking down all but the sturdiest barriers.

DIVIDED WE FALL: RIVALRY AMONG THE DWARVES
As war grips the land, there seems to be little in the way of a united front, and where there is conflict, weapons and ores will be in demand. Just as your dwarves would, your rivals are searching high and low for mineral rich lands to fuel thier industries, and are just as greedy as you; only now they're willing to fight for their ore!

There is now a rival dwarf civ almost identical to your own (minor equipment and ethic changes to accept theft and slavery so they'll be less likely to draw enemies away from you,) takes to the field against you, seeking to claim your mines and foundries for their own.

FROM SPARK TO RAGING FLAME
Pyromancers now walk the land, taking the dead from many battle fields and reforging them into powerful, if flimsy, armies of flaming spirits. Be hopeful that your lands are blessed with frequent rains. Made by StagnantSoul and added with permission.

THE WRATH OF FATHER FROST
A yeti-like people called The Naukan have been sighted in the cold lands of the world. They can and will attack you in an effort to secure thier homeland from any they deem intruders.

ARSENAL EXPANDED
Three new materials are added to the line of dwarven goods: Lead- and platinum-cored steel and Strongsteel.

Made in the War Forge, cored maces and hammers can be produced from steel and lead or platinum bars. Meanwhile, Strongsteel swords and axes are produced the same way normal steel is, but with superior technique resulting, in superior slashing and piercing weapons. In effect, all weapons are made to order directly in the War Forge by a weaponsmith.

Lead- and platinum-cored weapons are brutally effective against particularly thick-skulled enemies, with the values relevant to blunt damage modified to the better bludgeoning metals' values, while ensuring they otherwise retain steel's superior standing to most other metals. Strongsteel has had the values relevant to slashing weapons boosted, hopefully allowing it to punch through any steel gear the High Elves bring to the table.

OTHER STUFF
The needed Stal's Armory files are included in a separate folder.
Minor flavor crap, namely some toys.
Added reaction so High Elves can produce iron.
You can now build display cases for junk artifacts from blocks and clear glass boxes. Lacks a graphic due to where I got the raws for phoebus, so it just looks like a gray nondescript shrub in that version unfortunately.

UNIQUE TO 34.11
Weapons and armor reverted to vanilla.
Naukan have a working ice spear attack.
Bandits replace pyromancers.

There's a matter of needing a suitable worldgen dominated  by forests and wetlands to help promote thier thriving, but otherwise they are ready to go. I recommend adding 70-90~ civs in advanced world gen on a medium-sized world. There's also a "Barksplitter" elf entity if you want an added ally, as well as possibly to be expanded into a playable race if anyone's got any ideas on how to blend elven ways with human/dwarven.

Oh, and watch out for Rocs if you settle mountains. They aren't megabeasts anymore, so they may crop up from time to time.

Once again, thanks to Meph who provided the needed iron reaction and some consulting, and Stalhansch for his awesome armor and weapon mod! Used with permission of course. :)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod - Scratch that elf killing itch
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 09:56:12 pm »

Ptw
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:49:32 pm »

HIGH
Hypocrites bent on conquest, using defense of nature as thier excuse.

You misspelled their but other than that I look forward to trying this out.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:55:54 pm »

HIGH
Hypocrites bent on conquest, using defense of nature as thier excuse.

You misspelled their but other than that I look forward to trying this out.

Well Mr. Nitpick, I'll have you know I misspell that all the time. Mostly because I think I'm I-E dyslexic or something.

Hop it performs well, because there's still the whole "Invaders are lazy assholes" problem the new version has...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:29:24 am »

Just a little idea: instead of giving them metal armor and weapons (which can be molten down by the dwarves), you could give them access to metal-grade woods. They come with wooden weapons and armors, but as strong as metals. Would keep with the elf/nature theme, and makes it harder for the dwarves, because they cant recycle the materials.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 11:40:23 am »

Just a little idea: instead of giving them metal armor and weapons (which can be molten down by the dwarves), you could give them access to metal-grade woods. They come with wooden weapons and armors, but as strong as metals. Would keep with the elf/nature theme, and makes it harder for the dwarves, because they cant recycle the materials.

I'd rather not to be perfectly honest. Other mod-makers stick to thier stories and settings, I'm going to stick to mine with this one. The high elves are meant to be hypocrites who are using "protecting nature" as an excuse to invade and conquer other places; they're supposed to be bad guys, and more challenging than regular elves, and it's only fair the player gets some kind of tangible reward for fighting them: Their equipment. Which they can reissue, melt down, or sell off as they see fit. All the other elves use wooden gear as normal.

A good self-imposed challenge to be selling off or better, destroying (not melting,) non-steel equipment the high elves bring (due to it most likely being inferior elven or human-made items,) while the Steel is intended to have been scavenged from slain dwarves or made from melted down dwarven items.

EDIT: Although that would be something that could work for the Barksplitters (as a temporary measure before getting to proper weaponry, with the metal woods not being as good as proper metal.)

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »

This mod looks very cool. do you think you would be up for creating a download of dwarf fortress already containing the raws of this mod and with a different file name, so that i can keep my vanilla dwarf fortress fort on the go and yet try out your mod. ps, i think  meph's idea was a good suggestion BUT i think it is VERY COOL you are sticking to your core and original concept of making the high elves hypocrites and the main bad guys of the mod.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 06:46:30 pm »

This mod looks very cool. do you think you would be up for creating a download of dwarf fortress already containing the raws of this mod and with a different file name, so that i can keep my vanilla dwarf fortress fort on the go and yet try out your mod. ps, i think  meph's idea was a good suggestion BUT i think it is VERY COOL you are sticking to your core and original concept of making the high elves hypocrites and the main bad guys of the mod.

I can totally do that. If you like, I can also try getting a tileset working (never done that before,  may just nab a prepackaged one; likely phoebus,) and release it with that as well. That way it's just raws or either pre-installed with graphics or not.

Speaking of, does anyone have any ideas on fleshing out the Barksplitters? I'd still like to add one playable race, but I dunno how to go about making them feel unique compared to dwarves.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:55:26 pm »

Yes splint, that would be brilliant, having your mod all pre-packaged and with phoebus graphics, would be AWESOME mate.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 10:04:08 pm »

Yes splint, that would be brilliant, having your mod all pre-packaged and with phoebus graphics, would be AWESOME mate.

Done and dusted. I've prepackaged it with both Phoebus and ASCII and DFHack, as well as a raw-only folder.

Pick your poison folks.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf Invasion mod - Scratch that elf killing itch - Now pre-packaged!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:20 pm »

well done Splint,you are the MAN.

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 10:49:30 pm »

By the way splint, you mentioned about thinking of a race to be allies to the dwarves, a hybrid race. How about a half-elf race. A race who's culture are a mixture of human and elf and maybe have thier own unique armour and equipment. Does that sound like an in interesting concept?

mcolombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 11:05:12 pm »

You could also come some interesting ideas are they a backwards barbarian culture who like fur and bone or maybe a savage race who have sworn to destroy the high elves and are very militaristic and love katanas, well forged armour and riding savage warmounts into battle. there are loads of ideas that could be thought up or used.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 12:00:02 am »

By the way splint, you mentioned about thinking of a race to be allies to the dwarves, a hybrid race. How about a half-elf race. A race who's culture are a mixture of human and elf and maybe have thier own unique armour and equipment. Does that sound like an in interesting concept?

Well specifically I want to create a race that makes use of both elven and human/dwarven methods (for example, thier ethics allow for trading non-grown wood, representing them being fine with sustainable harvesting of wood.) Hence the Barksplitters who're included but not implemented, as I dunno how to make them feel really unique.

So far my main ideas for the Barksplitters are...
  • "metalwoods" as per Meph's idea, using a special workshop to infuse wood with certain properties; this would offer a less effective, but still serviceable and fuel-free way to arm your militia. For example, the most basic metalwood would just use some rock as a catalyst to make copperwood, while iron would need some kind of iron ore or bronze would need two logs plus the ore. Additionally, maybe including a crafting equivalent - infuse a chunk of aluminum into two logs for example; not as efficient since you only get two aluminum-value things to craft as opposed to four, but still valuable, slightly more versatile (platinum value beds anyone?) and fuel free.
  • Two specialized workshops to work with this metalwood. The "Craftwoods Shaper" and "Metalwoods Armory" or something, to create specific things (mainly to meet mandates for the former.)
  • A workshop that converts clay and potash into wood; for example, one potash and two clay gets you two wood (the clay standing in for dirt and the shop basically using elf magic to flash grow two saplings big enough to provide a single log each.) This can  make use of imported wood especially: For every log you import, you can get two out of it by converting the imported wood to potash and then taking it to the sapling shrine or whatever.
  • I was thinking maybe make them make use of more two-handed weapons (since they do have limited logging, thier lands tend to be somewhat more open, promoting the use of such weaponry.)
  • For playability, giving them bonuses to woodworking skills (including woodcutting,) animal training, and archery
  • On the inverse, they'd have some deficits to metalworking skills, stonecrafting, and mining, and due to being elves a hit to wood burning, and soaping (after all, they still have some empathy for nature and soaping requires wood ash.)

Unfortunately I have no idea how to really make workshops, and I'm only scratching at reactions, which makes it harder to implement things for me.

Oh, and mcolombe, there's a modify button next to the quote button on your messages so you don't need to double or triple post.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:20 am »

I'll probably try this mod(with accelerated materials) the next time I do a cavern light world. Goblins exchanged for Elves. :P

Unfortunately I have no idea how to really make workshops, and I'm only scratching at reactions, which makes it harder to implement things for me.
My favorite little program is WorkshopDraw which takes care of most of the appearance stuff. It doesn't support transparent tiles but you can get around this by replacing the future transparent tile numbers with
Code: [Select]
" "IIRC, might be ' ' instead. I think the same thing but in the proper spot in the color section might make that tile the color of the build material.

Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5