Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DFHack PPA/repo for Debian-based distros  (Read 1100 times)

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DFHack PPA/repo for Debian-based distros
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:21:04 pm »

See this post in relation, but it also applies to dfhack (even more, should I say, since it's open-source).

DFHack already has a Gentoo ebuild and an AUR package for Arch, but it strangely lacks any kind of packaging for more "mainstream" distros such as the Debian-based ones. How feasible would it be to maintain a PPA of some sort so you don't need to go and manually download each new version by hand?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DFHack PPA/repo for Debian-based distros
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 09:07:17 pm »

It's so much easier to just unpackage the dfhack hack folder+associated files into your df folder that I didn't even know there was an AUR package available and I've been on Arch since some time last year, soooo, not sure how worthwhile it would be.

The game doesn't need elevated permissions, installing dfhack is just a matter of dropping the right folder/files into your main df folder, and both Gentoo and Arch are rolling releases last I checked, so it's normal for the users to grab things as they're needed. Debian and family could end up with a ppa built for something like the first and now outdated version of dfhack 20.24 being available until the maintainer bumped it to a more recent version.