Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tongues Being Required for Speech  (Read 10579 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tongues Being Required for Speech
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:41:21 pm »

Is nonverbal communication a thing in Adventure Mode? (I only really do fort mode, so). It seems like having some expanded communication options, covering gestures, shouting, writing, signalling, speech and even sign language would be good to have if they aren't already there. Languages could be generated that don't require a tongue, or (for animal-people and other creatures) require particular organs not possessed by everyone to speak or comprehend. It would be a good way to make, say, kobold speech unintelligible if you need to be able to hear a dog-whistle to hear all of it, or can't speak it without a muzzle and sharp teeth.
Diplomat: "Ahhhh!  What's that kobold doing?  Get it off of me!"
Translator: "This is important, sir.  Is he gnawing on your left second toe or your left third toe?  He might be about to agree to the trade treaty."

I really like the concept of physically removing your own or someone else's body parts as part of language for once-in-a-lifetime phrases (Which would be incredibly amusing if it happens to be something that shouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime phrase).
Hello! *rips arm off*
Y'know, if trolls had their own language, I wonder if this is what it would be like.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 07:41:44 pm »

"I hate you" Translated to physical language; *Rips out spine*
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 06:59:51 pm by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 07:17:17 am »

This could be expanded for justice; you could punish for stuff like agitating a strike, once economy and social strife are in, that is.

Greenfire88

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 03:12:51 pm »

Being able to make creatures mute sounds fun, and might have tactical use. You might be able to silence someone before they could call for help, or say something about you.
My proposal on how it would be implemented is to create two tags.(Note that my made up tags are just there to explain my idea.) The first tag would be [REQUIRED_FOR_SPEECH] and the second tag would be [REQUIRED_FOR_NOISE]. [REQUIRED_FOR_SPEECH] would mean that at least one part tagged as such would be required for the creature to communicate through verbal language. [REQUIRED_FOR_NOISE] would be required to make loud noises, and would be a requirement for the speech part to work as well. If a creature did not have a tag part in it's raw, it would be assumed that they can perform the function of the part intrinsically. It would probably be best if the two tagged parts were connected by a number (ie. speech part 2 requires noise part 2.) so that multi-headed creatures would work logically.
Of course, my system is probably not the best (And might just not work at all, or be to complex) and I'm just putting that out there in case anyone likes my train of thought.
In late summer of 25, the dragon Tusnung Heatedpearls the Spark of Taxes became an enemy of The Empire of Gloves.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:24 pm »

Being able to make creatures mute sounds fun, and might have tactical use. You might be able to silence someone before they could call for help, or say something about you.
My proposal on how it would be implemented is to create two tags.(Note that my made up tags are just there to explain my idea.) The first tag would be [REQUIRED_FOR_SPEECH] and the second tag would be [REQUIRED_FOR_NOISE]. [REQUIRED_FOR_SPEECH] would mean that at least one part tagged as such would be required for the creature to communicate through verbal language. [REQUIRED_FOR_NOISE] would be required to make loud noises, and would be a requirement for the speech part to work as well. If a creature did not have a tag part in it's raw, it would be assumed that they can perform the function of the part intrinsically. It would probably be best if the two tagged parts were connected by a number (ie. speech part 2 requires noise part 2.) so that multi-headed creatures would work logically.
Of course, my system is probably not the best (And might just not work at all, or be to complex) and I'm just putting that out there in case anyone likes my train of thought.

You also need to make sure that both tags do not function if the creature cannot breathe properly.  So to speak a creature must.

A) Be able to breathe properly.
B) Be able to make noise.
C) Be able to speak.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 09:05:58 pm »

It's interesting since the tongue is apparently needed for the liaison to conduct meetings with your fort ruler, so this is already sorta implemented in a sense.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 12:47:49 am »

It's interesting since the tongue is apparently needed for the liaison to conduct meetings with your fort ruler, so this is already sorta implemented in a sense.
Really? How? The tongue doesn't have any tokens aside from the necessary ones to define a basic body part and [SMALL] so I kind of doubt that's current. It would be really difficult to check though. I normally can't even cut tongues off in adventurer mode because attacks just hit the cheeks instead so I have no idea how some kind of fortress mode device would do it.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 02:49:01 pm »

Really? How? The tongue doesn't have any tokens aside from the necessary ones to define a basic body part and [SMALL] so I kind of doubt that's current. It would be really difficult to check though. I normally can't even cut tongues off in adventurer mode because attacks just hit the cheeks instead so I have no idea how some kind of fortress mode device would do it.

According to this thread, yes it's possible. I'm guessing it's some ancient hardcoded thing.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2015, 05:43:14 pm »

Aside from not being able to explicitly cut out someone's tongue, I think this is implemented, at least in some contexts.  Someone's liason showed up without a tongue and couldn't attend any meetings or announce anything, just hung around forever.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 01:41:14 am »

Aside from not being able to explicitly cut out someone's tongue, I think this is implemented, at least in some contexts.  Someone's liason showed up without a tongue and couldn't attend any meetings or announce anything, just hung around forever.
Check the three posts before yours ;).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2015, 06:32:52 pm »

Is nonverbal communication a thing in Adventure Mode? (I only really do fort mode, so). It seems like having some expanded communication options, covering gestures, shouting, writing, signalling, speech and even sign language would be good to have if they aren't already there. Languages could be generated that don't require a tongue, or (for animal-people and other creatures) require particular organs not possessed by everyone to speak or comprehend. It would be a good way to make, say, kobold speech unintelligible if you need to be able to hear a dog-whistle to hear all of it, or can't speak it without a muzzle and sharp teeth.

The thought of Urist sign language (In urist or a universal sign language used across the realm) for the deaf as a skill is amusing to say the least but also quite practical even if time consuming for the dwarf without the perks given by conversation.

Y'know, if trolls had their own language, I wonder if this is what it would be like.

Most certainly given that trolls carry the [evil] game-tag on them, i agree.
> Troll McTrollerson is fighting!
> Indeliberately the troll wrestles Urist Mcfancypants into a loving embrace bearhug
> Urist McFancypants rib bones break! Legs bones break! Arm Bones Break!
> The troll and its new best friend are seperated, Urist Mcfancypants is rushed to hospital, troll visits bringing a roll of dwarven cheese and grapes as apology
But since trolls are baseline intelligent creatures ( [Slow Learner] ), if you taught them Urist sign language you might be able to get a basic conversation out of them about how horrible life is, how much their back aches etc, quickly making yourself wish you'd never taught it anything, if conversation is different between evil/neutral/good species at all i guess.

As to tongue cutting. Im sure you could assign a gelder to commit a crude traumatic punishment removal of the tongue using their *snipping equipment* or if you want to go the clean medical route just task a surgeon to take it out on a traction bench then lead the prisoner away back into the cage.
Pages: 1 [2]