Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tongues Being Required for Speech  (Read 10577 times)

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tongues Being Required for Speech
« on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:04 am »

Especially that speaking is more fleshed out in this version, it'd be cool if you could cut out someone's tongue :P and render them mute. :-X Maybe adding a larynx organ too.  Could be a tag for body parts in general so it could work with other stuff.   

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Tongues Being Required for Speech
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 09:59:15 am »

it'd be cool if you could cut out someone's tongue :P
Ten out of ten, best quote ever.
Mind if I sig this?
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:29:06 am »

Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:38:54 am »

Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?
You'd have to change the requirement. You should still be able to raise a head (innuendo not intended) without a tongue (definitely not intended.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:44:30 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Hinaichigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:26 am »

it'd be cool if you could cut out someone's tongue :P
Ten out of ten, best quote ever.
Mind if I sig this?

By all means!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 12:08:28 pm »

Uhhh... you know a lot of animals communicate verbally without real tongue movement right?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 03:17:09 pm »

Might be fun to have it be similar to the effect of the LISP token, but instead adding extra letter s's it could modify the speech in some other way.

Edit: This was spoken about before when tongues were first suggested.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:20:08 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:07:20 pm »

Is nonverbal communication a thing in Adventure Mode? (I only really do fort mode, so). It seems like having some expanded communication options, covering gestures, shouting, writing, signalling, speech and even sign language would be good to have if they aren't already there. Languages could be generated that don't require a tongue, or (for animal-people and other creatures) require particular organs not possessed by everyone to speak or comprehend. It would be a good way to make, say, kobold speech unintelligible if you need to be able to hear a dog-whistle to hear all of it, or can't speak it without a muzzle and sharp teeth.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 07:14:08 pm »

Is nonverbal communication a thing in Adventure Mode? (I only really do fort mode, so). It seems like having some expanded communication options, covering gestures, shouting, writing, signalling, speech and even sign language would be good to have if they aren't already there. Languages could be generated that don't require a tongue, or (for animal-people and other creatures) require particular organs not possessed by everyone to speak or comprehend. It would be a good way to make, say, kobold speech unintelligible if you need to be able to hear a dog-whistle to hear all of it, or can't speak it without a muzzle and sharp teeth.
Diplomat: "Ahhhh!  What's that kobold doing?  Get it off of me!"
Translator: "This is important, sir.  Is he gnawing on your left second toe or your left third toe?  He might be about to agree to the trade treaty."
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 07:29:12 pm »

More tags for stuffage is always welcome.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 07:27:40 am »

I like it, a way to silence whistleblowers.
With the new update coming involving masters and apprentices passing knowledge it could be a way to enforce silence among them... for whatever reason.

Uhhh... you know a lot of animals communicate verbally without real tongue movement right?

I guess that would be why it's a tag for speech, rather than noise making.
"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

Zeofar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 05:38:26 pm »

Translator: "This is important, sir.  Is he gnawing on your left second toe or your left third toe?  He might be about to agree to the trade treaty."

I really like the concept of physically removing your own or someone else's body parts as part of language for once-in-a-lifetime phrases (Which would be incredibly amusing if it happens to be something that shouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime phrase).

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:46:06 pm »

I really like the concept of physically removing your own or someone else's body parts as part of language for once-in-a-lifetime phrases (Which would be incredibly amusing if it happens to be something that shouldn't be a once-in-a-lifetime phrase).
Hello! *rips arm off*
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 08:28:48 am »

Most animals don't make more than a few sounds though. A tongue and around human-level vocal cords are requisites for complex speech as we've observed it.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 02:19:41 am »

Preferably, this should just use a tag. Creatures capable of speech without using their tongue could simply have the appropriate tag attached to their larynx. I like this idea a lot, and I would love to see it implemented.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: [1] 2