Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: some single caste race questions  (Read 1192 times)

Mrazomor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
some single caste race questions
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:55:49 am »

hellote, i've been browsing the forums since i started playing df but this is my first post here for now and its regarding some -i think- minor modding of the raws.

here's the situation, few days ago i moved from LNP to masterwork df reborn and after playing around with it a bit found out that the succubi race also includes incubi/incubus-male caste as well. its logical, but i would kinda prefer for the succubus race to consist only of a female caste. so if i remove the male caste from the raws, df will make the creature in question reproduce via parthenogenesis, and it works, dark forts are there and the succubi race is present with only a single female caste. now for the questions:

how does parthenogenesis affect fortress mode if it does so at all? does that mean the succubi will randomly give birth to babies or will it never happen outside of worldgen? would they need to be romantically involved and as such would i need to tweak their orientation towards same sex? i am aware that hermaphrodites are like, impossible to make in the game for now so that falls out. any information about the matter will be greatly appreciated.

on the side note, i noticed that the succubi get [milkable] tag, but cannot be milked in the farmer's workshop? what's with that?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: some single caste race questions
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:21:24 pm »

so if i remove the male caste from the raws, df will make the creature in question reproduce via parthenogenesis, and it works, dark forts are there and the succubi race is present with only a single female caste.
wat

Also about the milkable thing you can't milk citizens of your fort that would be kind of silly. There's also no way to mod it to be possible except maybe add in a seperate caste with the [PET] token, but that causes a whole bunch of other problems.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:41:27 pm »

I'm fairly certain DF doesn't have parthenogenesis.

Mrazomor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 11:56:24 pm »

well, if there is no parthenogenesis, then wouldnt the race be rejected and not spawn at all if it has no male caste? because the race has been generated and i have been playing it and not seeing any males so far, not ingame, not in legends.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:13:13 am »

well, if there is no parthenogenesis, then wouldnt the race be rejected and not spawn at all if it has no male caste? because the race has been generated and i have been playing it and not seeing any males so far, not ingame, not in legends.

Check their introductory paragraphs in Legends - my guess is they're all "one of the only ones of her kind", meaning they were created at the beginning of time but can never reproduce.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:30:41 am »

For babies to be born, both partners must be of different gender and be married. Milkable is just an easter egg.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:32:21 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:21:28 am »

Civs will be generated with only one caste, but no new members will be born. I believe succubi never die of old age meaning as long as they don't get in any wars or get attacked by any beasts they should be able to just live forever, with a total population of 100 or 200.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Mrazomor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 10:27:06 am »

eh, that sucks, i guess it back to the original raws with them. thanks for the info.