Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Radish Wine  (Read 17721 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Radish Wine
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:06:21 pm »

Why does radish wine exist?
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Radish Wine
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 11:13:24 pm »

Because this is Dwarf Fortress. Next question?
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 11:53:15 pm »

What does it taste like?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 12:09:32 am »

Google it.
It seems radish wine is not unheard of.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 01:10:56 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 12:26:07 am »

What does it taste like?

I followed utunnel's suggestion to google it.  Comments about radish wine from winemakingtalk.com include:

"you can ferment almost anything... you should draw the line somewhere."

"You wanna try a radish wine, try a radish wine. I'd start with a small batch though."

"I don't want to discourage you from trying anything. that being said, I remember when I started this hobby I wanted to ferment everything. now I only want to ferment something I wish to drink. "

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 03:56:43 am »

"you can ferment almost anything... you should draw the line somewhere."

I'll bet there could be some herbivorous animal men who would like radish wine once we get interspecies forts. Other than that, yeah, DF has never shied away from encouraging people to make terrible terrible decisions.

If tastebuds are ever implemented, it would also be creative way to screw over a subsequent overseer in a succession game. It would certainly be amusing to see a fort fall to a radish-wine-induced revolt.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 12:34:43 pm »

Why does radish wine exist?

Because i have seen humans purchasing and drinking broccoli juice... for real....

...any more questions? :P

Not gonna touch that.... ever...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:14:51 am »

Ok here something from my past: i tried to make or radish-liquor rather i used 60% Wodka on Black-radish. Turns out this stuff is nasty .. as in "Why the hell did i want to try this!?" punctuated by puking noises. What i learned is that not everything works, stuff like ginger, rasperies, blackberries (hmmm lithium!) work fine but not radish.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 03:17:32 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:28:45 am »

General rule of thumb, try drinking the liquid first, if you don't like it, don't ferment it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 04:45:59 am »

Well you have to remember that these are dwarves, not humans. Alcohol is slightly toxic to us but in them it serves as some sort of metabolic/mood-booster, and I figure they probably need and crave it in the same way we do sugars. Alcohol might even replace sugar for their perception of "sweetness" like ATP does for cats.

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that brewing radishes might be considered an improvement to dwarves instead of a waste.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 07:41:30 am »

Wouldn't be wasting much, anyway... ugh, radishes, why?
One wheel short of a wagon

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 09:43:24 pm »

What does it taste like?
Despair

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 12:19:01 pm »

A Japanese company makes a radish wine (from daikon, a Japanese radish variety) which is reportedly pretty good, though I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Information here

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:11:41 pm »

A Japanese company makes a radish wine (from daikon, a Japanese radish variety) which is reportedly pretty good, though I haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Information here
Daikon=Big Radish. At least something is bigger over there.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 11:03:47 pm »

Daikons are not radishes.  Call them radishes all you want, daikons are daikons.  They taste more like carrots or parsnips than radishes.  I can imagine a daikon beverage tasting ... passable.  Radishes taste like leathery wood smothered in itchy stingy plant poison.  I suspect their beverage form would not taste passable. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4