Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Radish Wine  (Read 17711 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Radish Wine
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 11:14:56 pm »

Daikons are not radishes.  Call them radishes all you want, daikons are daikons.  They taste more like carrots or parsnips than radishes.  I can imagine a daikon beverage tasting ... passable.  Radishes taste like leathery wood smothered in itchy stingy plant poison.  I suspect their beverage form would not taste passable.
Don't knock the itchy stingy plant poisons, radishes are the only thing that can survive in my garden :p ..... I suspect because nothing wants to eat them, except the chickens because they don't give a fuck.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 01:06:06 am »

Why does radish wine exist?

Because i have seen humans purchasing and drinking broccoli juice... for real....

...any more questions? :P

Not gonna touch that.... ever...

Was that dwarf fortress or real life?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 03:43:30 am »

Ive tried broccoli juice, it's terrible, especially raw.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

Ive tried broccoli juice, it's terrible, especially raw.
Actually had a juicer for a while, never got around to putting broccoli through it.  I just thought it was funny that they felt the need to tell you that there is no juice in a banana, please don't put a banana in the juicer.

aaaaaaand now the juicer doesn't work anymore.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 03:26:34 pm »

Q. What do DF players and God have in common?

A. They both are compelled to test everything to fiery destruction.
One wheel short of a wagon

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2015, 02:21:10 pm »

"you can ferment almost anything... you should draw the line somewhere."

I'll bet there could be some herbivorous animal men who would like radish wine once we get interspecies forts. Other than that, yeah, DF has never shied away from encouraging people to make terrible terrible decisions.

If tastebuds are ever implemented, it would also be creative way to screw over a subsequent overseer in a succession game. It would certainly be amusing to see a fort fall to a radish-wine-induced revolt.

The spinning *radish wine barrel* strikes the Brewer in the head, and the injured part explodes in gore!
This is a masterfully engraved depiction of a dwarf and radishes in chert. The radishes are laughing. The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2015, 03:42:21 pm »

Hey, radish wine helps chase down the awful taste of the turnip wine!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 05:57:10 pm »

I expect that turnip wine would taste better than wine made from the radish varieties common in the USA.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 07:10:08 pm »

Hey, radish wine helps chase down the awful taste of the turnip wine!

To say nothing of the cranberry wine.
Seriously, though. Anyone ever eat cranberries without any kind of sweeteners? They're horrible.
Can't imagine they'd be better after being steeped in dwarven beard-yeast.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 07:18:08 pm »

To say nothing of the cranberry wine.
Seriously, though. Anyone ever eat cranberries without any kind of sweeteners? They're horrible.
Can't imagine they'd be better after being steeped in dwarven beard-yeast.

I remember seeing something about how Ocean Spray said that having to actually report how much sugar they put into cranberry juice (which would imply having some reason to reduce the amount of sugar in said juice) would place too large a burden on their company because pure cranberry juice "is unpalatable". As in, lying about the amount of sugar content in their cranberry juice is their entire business model.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 07:25:04 pm »

I remember seeing something about how Ocean Spray said that having to actually report how much sugar they put into cranberry juice (which would imply having some reason to reduce the amount of sugar in said juice) would place too large a burden on their company because pure cranberry juice "is unpalatable". As in, lying about the amount of sugar content in their cranberry juice is their entire business model.

Think I saw that too. I remember "unpalatable" now that you've said it, but the word that stuck out in my mind most was "acrid".
Seeing that report (I think it was on Last Week Tonight?) prompted me to try out unsweetened cranberries for the first time. Gotta say - I don't know how those things were originally cultivated.
Times must have been really tough :P

Alfrodo

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_STUPID]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 08:18:02 pm »

I tasted frozen, unsweetened Cranberries with no expectations whatsoever.

I was disappointed anyway.

I'm not sure what happened to them. (I didn't eat the whole bag.)  But I feel bad for my dorfs whenever I grow cranberries in a tundra fort now...

Cranberry wine must taste slightly less like despair than Radish wine.

It's also a successful business. Somehow.
Bins stacked full of mangoes were laid out in rows. On further inspection of the market, Cog came to the realization that everything was mangoes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 10:51:42 am »

Dried cranberries taste great. I don't think dwarves eat fresh food unless they really have to.
One wheel short of a wagon

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 11:00:10 am »

Dried cranberries taste great. I don't think dwarves eat fresh food unless they really have to.

Well, they prefer "prepared food", which is a dubious substance made of roasting nearly anything even remotely edible into a "biscuit" "stew" or "roast" made of things like prepared dog brain in cranberry wine that was left to sit in the food stockpile for 5 years without spoiling. 

Since the status of prepared "food" does not change after years of being left out, it's technically still fresh years later, much like Twinkies.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 11:13:54 am »

Well, they prefer "prepared food", which is a dubious substance made of roasting nearly anything even remotely edible into a "biscuit" "stew" or "roast" made of things like prepared dog brain in cranberry wine that was left to sit in the food stockpile for 5 years without spoiling. 

Since the status of prepared "food" does not change after years of being left out, it's technically still fresh years later, much like Twinkies.
I like to think that they don't even cook them, they just mince all the ingredients up and compress them into the shape of whatever food they're mimicking.

As for the food remaining fresh, I like to think it doesn't.
They only think it's acceptable to eat because you tell them it is and they don't question the food stockpile.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4