Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What DO curses do?  (Read 1989 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What DO curses do?
« on: April 18, 2015, 10:44:47 pm »

???

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What DO curses do?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:32:33 pm »

At random intervals, usually the wrong ones, makes you fail all skill usage.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:26 am »

Here's the example raws for the effect.
         [CE_SKILL_ROLL_ADJUST:PERC:0:PERC_ON:20:START:0]
I looked it up and this should mean that there's a twenty percent chance that whenever you use a skill your skill is counted as 0% of what your skill actually is, and it's permanent.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:36:59 am »

???
It generaly screwed you badly.
1. Your skills are capped to 0%. And you have only 20% to make succesfully throw.
2. They are pernament.
3. They are preventing you from becoming vampire or werebeast.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 09:30:32 am »

Tombs just aren't worth it anymore. Unless you're dead-aligned, its not a risk but a certainty that taking anything will get you cursed, but the loot isn't that much better than you'd find in a mead hall or bandit camp. In any other RPG it would be called vendor trash, but in this version, vendors are also trash.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 11:10:49 am »

There is literally no point to money in adventurer mode besides bragging about having your face on currency.

Also, the massive stacks of fruit you can buy from vendors are so awesome. A stack of 100 weighs 3U. That's like 3 months of food.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 12:06:16 pm »

You can get those for free in some warehouses and shaping trees. Plus there are plenty of aboveground leaf plants that are edible, but they won't stack so they spam your inventory until you use/discard them, and I just take a few that I find here and there. I still have a huge stack of the only fruit I've ever paid for, though. I'm on an all-roast diet, so I cook a lavish meal with a full stack of creature heart/brain/eyes, a 5-stack of that creature's meat, 1-2 plums and a leaf.

Dampe

• Bay Watcher
  • Texan Gamer
    • View Profile
    • My brand-new YouTube channel!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:56:34 pm »

Curses generally just screw you over.
I generate my worlds without mummies so that I can loot tombs without getting completely and utterly boned.
Regards,
Dampe

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 12:51:03 am »

its not a risk but a certainty that taking anything will get you cursed,
i disagree, if you find where the coffin is and take something close enough to the door you can get out fine
but yeah why would you
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 05:02:06 am »

its not a risk but a certainty that taking anything will get you cursed,
i disagree, if you find where the coffin is and take something close enough to the door you can get out fine
but yeah why would you
Doesn't work. I thought I got away with doing that, but I was wrong. They'll follow you out and if they catch up to the local tile you're in, curse you from any distance. You don't even have to see them there.

EDIT: One thing I haven't tried yet that may work is to get a companion to walk across the coffin. The mummy should only curse the one who disturbed it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:43:32 am by Uzu Bash »