Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Ivybolt - On hiatus until parts may be acquired.  (Read 24540 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - We saw unicorns today.
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2015, 05:27:03 pm »

Muthkat and Colonel Ironbeard walked the long patrol route around the fortress in silence, scanning the horizon for any sign of the dead.  No matter how far they looked, though, there were no dead to be found.  Finally, the Colonel spoke, his gaze fixed on the horizon, "Do you think they are gone, lass?  I haven't seen any for months now."

"I can't say, Colonel.  It could be that they are gone, or they could just be biding their time."

"Aye, aye," the Colonel said, and they remained in silence for several minutes more before Muthkat spoke up, "Have you heard that the others have taken to calling you the steel warden, sir?"

A weary grin briefly graced the Colonel's face, "Aye, lass, and a mighty fine nickname it is.  I couldn't ask for a better one.  And they be calling you the Berserker, on account of how you fight, two-handed axe and all."

With that, the two of them reached the fortress and were relieved from patrol duty.

Senshuken raced into the dining hall, excitedly calling out to the off-duty militiadwarves, "The Berserker and the Steel Warden are dueling in the barracks!"

With cries of surprise and excitement, every soldier ran to the barracks and gathered into an ever-growing circle around the two dwarves.  With a handshake and a bow, the duel began.

As soon as the duel began, Muthkat lept forward, swinging her bardiche around in an arc to strike at the Colonel.  A massive clang resonated through the room as the colonel blocked the strike with his shield, and the crowd gasped in surprise.  Muthkat was impressed: no other dwarf she had dueled had been able to block such a strike without being driven back, but the Colonel held his ground.  She rained blow after blow on the Colonel, forcing him backwards step by step, but nothing got past his defenses.

The colonel blocked yet another strike with his mace, taking another step backwards.  His arms were numb from the force of blocking blows, but he could tell Muthkat was tiring too.  Her  strikes were less precise than at the beginning, and her relentless assault was beginning to slow down.  All he needed was one opportunity to get under her guard and it would be all over.  Suddenly, Muthkat leveled a strike at his upper torso, and instinctively the colonel raised his shield to block it.

He realized too late that the attack was a feint.  Muthkat dropped her axe, leaping forward and knocking him to the ground.  One of her hands pinned his mace arm to the ground while the other pulled a short sword off of her belt and held it to his throat.

Silence fell across the room, followed by massive cheers.  Muthkat stood up and unhanded the colonel, who slowly stood, and the two shook hands with slight grins on their faces.

"That was a clever move," the Colonel Ironbeard said, rubbing the back of his head where it had struck the ground, "I'll have to look out for that one in the future."

Muthkat grinned, "I figured that you wouldn't see that one coming.  That's why I asked Senshuken if I could borrow his short sword, in case I ever felt the need to pull that trick."

"Aye, aye.  That was well done, lass.  I can see why they call you the Berserker.  It was an honor to fight against you."

"Indeed.  It was an honor, colonel."

Colonel Ironbeard walked the perimeter of the fortress alone, watching as the nightly fog rolled in to cover the land.  As he walked, he reflected on many of the good things that had happened this past year.  A full-time military had been established, morale had greatly improved with the lessening of the undead threat, and nobody had died in recent memory.  And yet, he still felt a sense of dread, but he couldn't quite place a finger on what was causing it.  It wasn't the elves: while they certainly had the numbers, being immortal and all, their wooden weapons were of little consequence against even the relatively light armor the soldiers were equipped with.  It wasn't the undead: he had long since accepted them as a part of life in the fortress.

With a sigh, he turned and headed towards the gate.  There was little point in this mental exercise if it didn't turn up anything, and he needed to lead a drill soon.

I'll claim the title of "Steel Guardian", if you will.

Also, I'd say that if the undead are gone we should begin fully utilizing the caverns for resources: plant gathering and web gathering and whatnot.  This would, obviously, require military action and likely result in some deaths, but that's kind of the point.  No need for the fortress to become stale.  If not that, then yes, refill the undead creatures, but even that might not work for !!FUN!! because of the skill level of our best military dwarves.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2015, 05:48:17 pm »

May I see the profile of my new dwarf? Also nice to see the undead are mostly re-dead. Time to see if the game can throw far worse at you.

Oh wow. That's a good start!

Can I see the personality of my dorf too?

Awesome my first character in a fort (well besides Thrakugga but let's not talk about Thrakugga) and I'm a spearmaster. Can I see my kill list if it's not to much trouble

...did this fort always have a tileset? Could've sworn it was ASCII.

square ascii tileset master race

It has been using a tileset (Phoebus specifically.) Spiritnet didn't though.

I'll claim the title of "Steel Guardian", if you will.

Also, I'd say that if the undead are gone we should begin fully utilizing the caverns for resources: plant gathering and web gathering and whatnot.  This would, obviously, require military action and likely result in some deaths, but that's kind of the point.  No need for the fortress to become stale.  If not that, then yes, refill the undead creatures, but even that might not work for !!FUN!! because of the skill level of our best military dwarves.

Sure thing on the title.

Honestly the boars would have potentially killed Muthkat if the war bears hadn't gotten thier attention. They bruised the shit out of her (and everyone else in her squad but her especially because of the two-hander,) when suddenly DISTRACTION WAR BEARS!

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2015, 12:39:36 am »

Honestly the boars would have potentially killed Muthkat if the war bears hadn't gotten thier attention. They bruised the shit out of her (and everyone else in her squad but her especially because of the two-hander,) when suddenly DISTRACTION WAR BEARS!
The War Bears weren't the distraction. You were the distraction, then SURPRISE WAR BEAR ATTACK.
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2015, 08:50:24 am »

I am intrigued :)  Would like to be dorfed as a Jeweler and/or Glassmaker (all things shiny!).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2015, 07:57:13 pm »

Alright, everyone is dorf'd and population is up to date! If I've missed any community entries please point them out.

Working on an update tonight and it'll probably be up tomorrow, as I'm probably gonna play DoW II: Retribution on last stand and maybe some free for alls with a couple buddies. I'll include the profiles of the dwarves in question with the next update.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »

Could I also have a list of my kills so far, when the next update comes out?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:52 pm »

Could I also have a list of my kills so far, when the next update comes out?

Sure thing. Probably not as impressive a tally as Janthriel's though, what with blunt weapons not exactly being renowned for thier ability to cut people in half/rip thier heads off.

EDIT

Sorry about the lack of an update guys, been a bunch of stuff going on. Namely...
Been playing with a few friends more frequently,
Have a drawing order I have to do,
About to get a job (a temp job, but still, money's money.)

In all, haven't actually been getting much accomplished.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:55 pm »

When you get back into the swing of things could I have a dwarf named after me,a military dwarf, i'll take take a female if it would be more convenient for you, name them "Lupanian"
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2015, 09:19:28 pm »

- accidentally double posted -

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2015, 10:07:36 pm »

When you get back into the swing of things could I have a dwarf named after me,a military dwarf, i'll take take a female if it would be more convenient for you, name them "Lupanian"

Sure thing.

I haven't been totally idle with this either.

Spoiler: you have been warned. (click to show/hide)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2015, 10:32:29 pm »

You know you could have just cut down the tree, right?  Would've saved you a whole lot of trouble and the death of a military dwarf.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:29 pm »

You know you could have just cut down the tree, right?  Would've saved you a whole lot of trouble and the death of a military dwarf.
Well, it was partly my own fault. I didn't even know she was dead until I got the "Muthkat McDumbass has been dead for a week." message. I would never have even found her if Peregarret hadn't spotted her up there while he was tossing out a dead troglodyte.

EDIT: Hell, I not even entirely sure how she got up there since she didn't have a free grasp and no beard...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2015, 07:36:56 pm »

YEAR 3
WRITER: DOREN CLOISTEREDNOURISH (Mayoral Aide/Dyer)
SITE LEADER: PEREGARRET FENCEMARTYR (Mayor)
POPULATION: 64

Greetings future reader! My name, if you can't tell from the above, is Doren Cloisterednourish. I have been assigned by our Glorious new mayoral electee Peregarret to be the aide of both He and all mayors to come, until my demise at the hands of father time, elf, or only the gods can predict what else.

At present, it is 11th Granite, Year 289 of the Great War.

May Laltur preserve us all in the history of our halls and legends of the hated enemy.

I have overseen trade with the loyal native elf population alongside our resident Broker, and ensured  only cheap earthen- and stoneware trinkets, worn attire, and only the most poorly made of porcelain items were sold for all the fruit and arrows the elves had.

However, I also cleared having several crude porcelain crowns, a scepter, and a single gold goblet of sub-standard make be offered as a token of good will.

His Mayoralness has also mandated we expand the old galena mine (long since stripped of its ore and the galena moved up to Indutrial,) and instate a permanent military presence and silk collection facility. While I predict a yearly casualty rate of six dwarves (assuming two looms are in service and actual predators don't exclusively track the weavers,) the gathered silk will prove invaluable to making bags to foster a glass industry.

27th Slate

Three migrants have arrived this afternoon. Two of them, Crunk and Kogan, have been assigned to Buffalo Squad as speardwarves to deal with anything too large for their squadmates to put down in a timely manner. Unfortunately, the spears needed to be produced fresh as none had been prepared.

4th Felsite

We've opened up the caverns to general access, though we greatly encourage weavers and soldiers to be the only ones down here. Three otherwise jobless dwarves have been assigned to silk collection. His Mayoralness hopes that they may be able to start a fine clothes industry in this manner.

As you can see from my included illistration, three looms and a small number of off-duty soldiers should do well enough, and the solid stone door will keep all but the largest of intruders out. His Mayoralness has also instead the engravers engrave the floors of both the future noble's suite and those of the mayoral suite, as well as having the tombs expanded and similarly smoothed and given a considerably more thorough engraving.

4th Hematite

We had a small scale troglodyte infestation late this afternoon, disrupting construction of a bridge over the lake in the cavern. They stormed the weavery for some purpose. According to Sergeant Iden, one seemed to be screaming in a mix of broken goblin and dwarven. Goblins have been driven from the region for near 300 years, so this is likely a relic of time as slaves.

In short, they're angry we've begun harvesting silk. However, several laborers have managed to trap three stragglers in the other Galena mine and the troopers are moving to deal with them as I write!

-

It seems we now have an especially awful hazard to consider.

Parts of the caves that fall under the swamps appear to harbor its reanimating energies, and this posses a serious threat to workers and means any and all combat must see the remains dealt with in as prompt a manner as possible. I've informed His Mayoralness so.

What sort of hellish events happened here to cause that?

Thankfully, our head physician Zon didn't fold like one can expect a typical dwarf to in the face of a reanimated head. Instead, he punched the hell out of it with only some small bite wounds to show for it. But the injuries are bad enough that they need stitching, so I will tend to the injuries myself.

13th Hematite

Infantrydwarf Urdim has given birth to her second child today, which seems to have greatly strengthened Sergeant Senshuken's resolve. Surprisingly, niether have any intention of Urdim taking time off.

18th Hematite

His Mayoralness has been re-elected and the loyalist caravan has arrived.

3rd Malachite

It seems we have our first casualty of the silk weavery.

A worker was found dead in the caverns, with the likely culprit being a giant toad that had been spotted several times (and avoided,) beforehand by other weavers. They have taken to calling it “Scarwheels.”

His Mayoralness has ordered Ironbeard to eliminate this threat to our workers, and he has sent Sergeant Iden and Infantrydwarf Mebzuth to quite literally bludgeon the beast into mush. As the body of our lost citizen was under the swamp, I ordered them be moved as quickly as possible.

There's also the matter of a rogue glassworker. We're waiting with anticipation as to what the result shall be, and Zaythen has been declared a master Bladesdwarf.

10th Malachite

This is not good. What the hell could've caused one of our finest soldiers to disappear?

14th Malachite

Our glassmaker produced a wonderful bucket, but it's hard to get excited about it. We found Muthkat.

She'd committed suicide in the prison. Why I can't figure; her journal doesn't reveal anything out of place with her psyche. A siege crossbow and a quarrel had gone missing according to our bookkeeper. Now we know why.

I've read several horror stories about the far might of the dead possessed of the skill at arms they gained in life.

20th Malachite

That damned toad is proving highly cunning, and refuses to come onto dry land to face our infantry, despite even using hapless workers as live bait at my recommendation. Ironbeard is sending some rangers down to try and plink the thing to death.

25th Malachite

Boars. Time to see if near a year’s training has made the Ironbreakers all the old tales say warriors who have the titles they do should be.

-

They did quite well, though Janthriel seems to be constantly stealing the thunder of her fellow soldiers. Colonel Ironbeard should really be dealing the most kill shots, and I think I know what the problem is.

He seems to be insisting on using his shield more frequently because of its masterful construction and strength as it was fashioned from good strong ash wood. So I have taken the liberty of informing Flame that she is to begin fashioning silver weaponry for export. She asked why, and I told her that she can't be allowed to work further steel if she cannot consistently produce masterworks worthy of our fine soldiers.

At any rate, Sarvesh, Ironbeard, and Janthriel succeeded in doing what before would have taken our whole militia, with but three dwarves: The whole of the boars are dead!

6th Galena

The toad is dead! The appointing for the win belongs to one of the bears we purchased, that waded into the cavern lake and dragged the toad out to savage it.

We have named the mighty bear Flagdanced in honor of slaying a noteworthy foe!

11th Galena

Since we have little other use, I've consulted His Mayoralness on what to have our metalcrafters use our inevitable lead stores for. He has suggested (rather brilliantly,) fiat currency for intra-fortress commerce! No longer will our citizens need to figure out how to make fair trades with one another, our lead coins will facilitate this!

-

The first coins have been made! I must commend Crafter Cerol for the promptness.

It depicts the rise of our first queen, so long ago, and a symbol of our bravery – Scale armor. We won't hide behind plate armor like most dwarves would, and we will all be reminded in our coin. Sure they won't be of any use to other locales besides making sling bullets, but that is of little concern to us. These coins are for use amongst ourselves.

1st Limestone

It seems we've garned the attention of more elves. A group of insurgents, traitors against the whole of these lands as I'm sure those who take the Command Log after me will know, have been spotted.

After the Ironbreakers dealt with them, Infantrydwarf Janthriel retired (as it was late when the elves made their ruckus,) as she had reasonably assumed the threat dealt with. A yak calf that was spooked into the swamp revealed a number of outcast elves however not long after. As the other Ironbreakers advanced, I expected a swift defeat of the hated elves. But uh...

[Once I got them back in and ready, Janthriel and Ironbeard went to bed; for intents and purposes though, they were present during the battle but failed to score any kills, (especially true for Ironbeard, as he seems to score plenty of bone-snapping blows but rarely manages to kill thanks to the dwarves armed with sharp things,) maiming multiple enemies other dwarves killed.]

There was a matter of a rather large contingent of bears with the elves. Colonel Ironbeard understandably ordered a retreat to gather the rest of the “Topside” militia. “No honor in a pointless defeat” he says. He'd have sent for Buffalo squad as well were it not for them likely suffering from severe cave adaptation.

Anyway, Many of us watched them advance into the swamp, fully expecting none of them to return. However, unwilling to let the battle go unrecorded in some manner, I followed them into the field without their knowing.

Several moved uncharacteristic bravery and they smashed into the elves' line! They managed to cripple the enemy in short order using the mire and the enemy's own numbers against them, and then began to dispose of them at their leisure! I have to sya I'm beyond impressed, and with a witness and their return combined, none will doubt the courage and skill our brave dwarves displayed!

However all of them are near exhaustion from facing the bears rather than killing elves, and Sir Taupenstien needs stitches in his left lower leg thanks to an arrow, and most if not all of them are covered in bruises of varying severity. Thankfully the horrific nature of the battle left the elves and their mounts quite mangled. So much so in fact I could barely recognize most of the bodies as anything that was once humanoid (the bears were large enough to still vaguely resembled them.)

14th Limestone

We're still dealing with the piles of slain elves, but the caravan has arrived from the south. I have of course ordered the piles of wood gear to be peddled to the caravan as proof of our victories! The holes and blood still clinging to it.

-

I was tasked with sitting on on the meeting of His Mayoralness and the Trade Liaison. He followed my recommendation of one Shorast Contestgorges would prove to be the best candidate of our general populous.

However an election coincided with the addition of a nobledwarf, and His Mayoralness has been stripped of his standing. I am now to serve Baroness Shorast regardless as well however, as per her order.

28th Limestone

We now have our first named piece of equipment! May Godlydim, the masterful shield of the Steel Guardian of Ivybolt, serve for many years!

Alright, so we have a new update guys. Sorry it wasn't out sooner for being so short.

We have a noble now! Among other things. A couple dwarves were killed as well.
-Silk gatherer nommed by a toad
-Muthkat accidentally'd herself somehow. I dunno how the hell she even managed to climb a tree and get stuck in it with no free grasp (as bardiches are two-handers,) but she did. And before any of you say anything, I didn't even realize she was dead until I got the message she was missing. However, for story purposes she shot herself with a siege crossbow in the out-of-the-way jail. Fighting zombies regularly can really wreck someone.

Silk collection is in full swing, we've conducted ample trade, the risks of dehydration are minimal, soap is in abundance, the militia has served valiantly with only a single injury (seems targeting for AI in combat has been drastically improved; they now seem to go after whoever attacked them last instead of letting the ass behind them plink them to death while they try to finish off something else,) and I've offered up enough fancy porcelain garbage to draw in the monarch once we double our population.

Oh, and here's your kills 4maskwolf.

And the profiles of the recently dwarfed

Trogdor

Lupanian

And Immortal-D

Anyway, here it is. long awaited and all that.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - Two founders down, seven to go.
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2015, 08:16:08 pm »

does my character have a kill list, because it looks like she's already seen some combat, due to the fact that she has a scar on her foot and "doesn't really care about anything any more"

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ivybolt - Two founders down, seven to go.
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2015, 08:27:22 pm »

does my character have a kill list, because it looks like she's already seen some combat, due to the fact that she has a scar on her foot and "doesn't really care about anything any more"

I dunno, didn't look. She probably killed a bear or two since she's in Senshuken's squad.

But there's also encounters with zombies and constantly being horrified by dead sapients.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7