Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (e)Published A Book  (Read 1176 times)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(e)Published A Book
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:10:02 pm »

Hello everyone,

After roughly 2 years of writing and editing, I'm pleased to say that my newest book is available. It's the longest thing I've written so far, but at 25,000 words, it's still is a little short to be called a novel (wiki puts it as a Novella). It's a fantasy book, titled Errant Heroics, available here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S96RTLK

The entire process took far longer than it should - I originally wrote the book in pen in a little notebook during my commute to and from work. This actually went fairly quickly - no more than a handful of months, I'd estimate. Once I'd finished, I started the process of transferring the work over to a Word file, editing it at the same time. This is the part that took so long - not because it's all that hard, but my job involves me typing things into Word 8 hours a day, and going home to do more of that really didn't appeal; so I procrastinated. During this time, I had my family looking over incomplete drafts, doing some editing and offering suggestions.

It actually took a promise to my parents that I'd present them the completed draft by Christmas that finally got me really working on finishing everything up. It looked like I was going to succeed... until I remembered that the story wasn't just a single notebook (written front to back, then flipped over and written back to front) but I'd actually spilled into a second notebook. So I ended up finishing by New Years. Some more rounds of editing, a couple hours in Paint Shop Pro to put together a cover, and here we are.

Anyway, I'd love it if everyone takes a look - there's a link on the right side that will let you download the first 5 chapters. I'd love it even more if everyone bought the book, but I don't pretend that's going to happen.
Spoiler: Image of the Cover (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: (e)Published A Book
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:22:58 pm »

Definitely gonna check this out.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 01:35:13 pm »

About a month ago, I released a book that I'd written to the world at large. I priced it at $2.99, both because I felt that was a fair price, but also because that's where Amazon divides the books that get 30 cents on the dollar versus those that receive 70. Now, I won't say that sales were disappointing, because that would assume that I'd had fantasies/daydreams/delusions on how well it'd do. I've made some sales, and I am content.

However, at the same time, I would like people - preferably a lot of people - to actually read what I've written. So, towards that end, my book is going to be on sale: for this entire weekend, it will cost a mere 99 cents. So, for all of you who said to yourselves: "Well sure, I could buy that book... but then I'd be out the price of my morning Starbucks coffee;" I now bring myself down to the price of a bag of chips.

Is my book better than a bag of chips? Well, I'd certainly like to think so, and I hope you do too.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:08:10 pm »

Okay people,

Since sales have pretty much leveled off, I've decided to offer a FREE giveaway period of my book (Today through the 23rd.)

All you need to do get it is to click on the link and 'buy' it for $0: HERE

All I ask for in return is that if you read the book and enjoy it, please leave a review of the book on Amazon.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:12:50 pm »

Checking it out.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:24:14 pm »

Ptw, might read this