Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shenanigans with Unreal 4  (Read 607 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Shenanigans with Unreal 4
« on: April 28, 2015, 02:05:24 pm »

So last week I heard that Unreal 4 was free. Since I was kinda fed up with writing every system myself, I decided it might be fun to try out using a game engine.

So far I have managed to convert a third person template into a top-down game where you can aim with the mouse. The whole aiming bit is a bit weird though, since I have to disable it whenever the player character is moving. The inbuilt movement logic does it's own rotations and things, and the result of the conflict is the guy doing a moonwalk. I'm really used to having way more control than this.

But it is kinda fun. I could add the (incredibly laggy) flame trail thing by just adding a Spawn Emitter function to the blueprint. So easy to just add stuff. Really convenient, don't even need to change any code, can just mess around with the blueprint system.

Anyway, so I will be updating this thread with whatever progress I make in my quest to learn the ins-and-outs of the Unreal 4 Engine, and hopefully even get some sort of game out of it in the end. I have a plan of what I want to make but I won't be revealing it just now, so I can concentrate on just the core systems, instead of the stupid stuff I want to do.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.