Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Expanding Good Regions- taking suggestions  (Read 11987 times)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Good Regions- taking suggestions
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2015, 04:19:18 am »

[USE_GOOD_WOOD] in the entity toggles that behavior.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2015, 04:25:04 am »

okay guys, thanks for the suggestions.

slight update here: I've been trying to make the trap trees, but I find the syndrome way too unreliable for my tastes. I'll try toying with it a bit more, but I'll focus on the creatures now and if I can't make it activate regularly enough, I'm afraid I'll have to cut it out altogether.
Glad to hear you got it functioning with minimal loss of sanity.  It's reasonably reliable in a mine shaft, and I was hoping the sheer volume of logs would make up for the lack of containment.

There is another way to accomplish the same idea, but I haven't actually done this one: set up an event listener in DFHack that gets called upon the completion of a Woodcutting job.  Maybe 10% of the time spawn a dryad creature at the job location.  Not sure if that's where the lumberdwarf was standing or the trunk of the tree.  Also not sure if each tree is a job (my guess) or a whole Cut Trees designation.

But the whole thing can definitely wait until after you get an initial version out the door.

if only I knew more about dfhack... well I'm adding dryads anyway, they'll just be wild beasts rather than surprise woodsmen killers.

You cant use surface trees that evaporate. The worldgen civs will not know the difference and bring buckets, barrels, wagons, etc made of that material, which is fine until it arrives on your map. Then they vaporize and the caravans leaves again.

You can only use such trees/woods in cavern 2 and 3 or in custom reactions.

well, you're right but if I get them to work they will have the GOOD tag. shouldn't that make it near impossible for civilizations to bring?
I don't know if GOOD makes it impossible to bring, but if the material is not WOOD and lacks ITEMS_HARD/ITEMS_SOFT then no one will be able craft anything out of it.

Don't sweat the DFHackery, though.  It's hard enough to learn raw modding before taking that leap.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

than402

• Bay Watcher
  • DF2014:we all knew it was inevitable
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2015, 03:35:54 am »

slight update: my exams have given me pause from DF stuff, but the mod is not dead, I was making good progress and I will complete it once I'm done. I uploaded what I made so far, mostly for safekeeping (my PC can't even accept usb sticks and properly clean the recycling bin at the moment). Feel free to download it if you want, it should be perfectly playable

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=10922

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2015, 01:29:50 pm »

Hi, is this mod still under development?

If it is, I came up with a more stable way to summon a creature upon felling a tree.  You can use an eventful callback every time a job completes, and if it's job type 9 ("Fell Tree") roll some dice to see if a Dryad should appear.  I updated the mod in my signature to use the same basic technique (see tesb-mining.lua); that one does some why-the-hell-is-this-so-complicated checks to see if you were digging a tile of layer stone, whereas yours might be checking that you felled a tree in an outside tile in a good biome.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]