Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Shameful admissions..  (Read 12390 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Shameful admissions..
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 01:04:44 pm »

I have never been able to punch through an aquifer.

I have never decided to try and learn how to use pumps. (Probably why the above exists...)
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 01:42:59 pm »

I always turn aquifers off.

Always

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 04:27:39 pm »

90% of my forts are retired by the end of the first year.
I have never used minecarts for anything but creating quantum stockpiles.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Altivera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 05:40:45 pm »

I'm a complete noob at designing my fortresses.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 07:49:34 pm »

Oh!

I didn't know how to farm or brew booze at first so my early forts were races to find a source of water before everyone dehydrated.

Yep.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 01:28:34 pm »

I prefer both the elves and goblins of Dwarf Fortress to the dwarves. I am usually secretly rooting against my own fortresses.

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 07:34:52 pm »

I always destroy the trade depot after the caravan unload their goods.  ;D

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 07:50:06 pm »

Sometimes I still deconstruct the trade depot if the merchants won't give me a decent deal the first year.

I don't have a "hauling" caste dedicated to hauling shit around, I just turn hauling off for important dorfs like miners.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

maxcat61

• Bay Watcher
  • SuperMinion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 09:09:16 pm »

-snip-
I don't have a "hauling" caste dedicated to hauling shit around, I just turn hauling off for important dorfs like miners.
Isn't that how everyone does it?
You can't make an omelette without melting a few dwarves...
The purple overseer hat weights heavily on one's head. Some would argue that the leadership of Doomforest is uneasy to bear for too long. Others would simply suggest that we don't craft the next overseer hat out of rutile.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2015, 04:28:46 pm »

I often carve out a large portion of my fortress in soil, and never truly dig deep into the real stone

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2015, 09:01:15 pm »

I often carve out a large portion of my fortress in soil, and never truly dig deep into the real stone

Then I really hope Toady restores cave-in feature so you'll have more FUN.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 08:23:35 am »

Where to start.

I've never purposefully caused the death of any of my Dwarves, even the most useless.
There's many of us, I'm sure.

- I have never killed merchants, neither directly nor indirectly. Robbed them once indirectly and accidentally, by mass forbidding the kind of stone the depot happened to be made of.

- I've been at war with elves exactly once, in a fort where they happened to start at war with my civ.
While I have a deep dislike for elven motifs and flavor in pretty much all works of fiction, I don't loathe elves unto themselves; it's more of a "I do my thing, you do yours, let's never meet" kind of deal than outright hatred. If anything, I find DF elves a notch above your average kind of elf.

-I have never arranged unfortunate accidents for any noble, no matter how insufferable. At most I have replaced a mayor through the nobles screen, for having some impossible to obtain item as preference for the mandates. Only slightly related, but I miss the 40d dungeon master and the philosopher.

- I have never used minecarts for their main intended purpose of hauling rock and ore. I hate carving tracks and permanently defacing some hallway with them just to get rid of some boulders when there's wheelbarrows available.

- I make way way too much use of quantum stockpiles, and way too little use of standard stockpiles.

- I'm very conservative in planning the architecture of my forts. As said above, I generally hate 'defacing' undug areas by peppering them with unsightly tunnels. I hardly ever do exploratory mining for the same reason, preferring to follow veins from already open areas such as caverns or dug out chambers.

- More often than not I embark without miners, with just two picks or the materials to forge them. It's a habit I acquired because mining as a hardcoded moodable skill drives me crazy, because I don't truly see it as moodable.

- On that note, I micromanage the training of moodable skills for each and every single dwarf. I pick a main job for them taking into account their preferences, aptitudes, and personality, and try to help them accomplish their lifetime dream.
Each dwarf gets their personal quarters (consisting of: bedroom, living room, and dining room) and a designed tomb down in the catacombs. I take note of their favorite materials and build some piece of furniture or workshops for them out of that. If that displeases nobles, I solve the problem by rearranging designations.
This is usually the norm, but it may change depending on the emerging roleplay of the fort during the playthrough.

- I like aquifers and seek them out on purpose when choosing a site.

- I used to savescum regularly during my first year of playing (2008), before being really able to accept defeat as a valid experience, see the improvements in that, and the spirit of the game. My rationale was that I wasn't learning anything by losing a fort to what I used to see as stupid reasons, and I was sparing myself the chore of having to restart.

- I play without Dwarf Therapist. I use Dfhack only for its prospecting and reveal functions for those times I want to prepare for a megaproject.

- The food selection at the embarking screen makes me hungry. More than half of that is non-existing things and/or things I would never want to eat in real life, yet it manages to come off as appetizing. It's magical.
I guess it's just the thought of these dwarven pioneers really enjoying their meal after a long day of work that makes it so appealing by association.

- Adventure mode: I never use even the useless stats as dump stats.

- I get the exuberant charm of the omnicidal murderhobo adventurer, and I don't think any ill of those who enjoy that playstyle, but personally it's not my thing. Once I was forced to try and commit omnicide for the worthy pursue of science, and I couldn't bring myself to go through with it.

KimmyM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »

I can't for the life of me stop playing so conservatively that my fortresses sit there self sufficient and overflowing with resources.

I really need to start learning how to explore past the first cavern.

Also, I've never gone to war with elves, altho in this fort I'm tempted.  I barely touched the trees above ground and instead went into the first cavern for most of my wood.  They still complained...

I still have them in my trade depo...  I have no hostile civs so I'm not facing gobs...  I might just seal them in and starve the treehuggers.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »

I let a goblin escape unmaimed, once.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

I've never played DF in the past month, but I read things hear as if I just played last night.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8