Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Shameful admissions..  (Read 12389 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Shameful admissions..
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2015, 10:59:53 am »

I have build magma traps.....but never used them. I don't normaly stave off boredom long enough to get invaders....

With a few exceptions.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 02:08:56 pm »

-snip-
I don't have a "hauling" caste dedicated to hauling shit around, I just turn hauling off for important dorfs like miners.
Isn't that how everyone does it?

I thought the thing was to take your "useless dorfs" and remove all jobs except hauling, hence a hauling caste. I usually take every dorf except miners and masons and give them a few extra jobs including their useless ones, so everyone has something to do besides hauling.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2015, 09:26:25 am »

-I have just seized a Elf caravan this week.  And have not yet gone to war with them yet.  I kind of like them - they bring me stuff I want. 

-I once planed to kill a Noble but didn't do it when I figured it would mess up my chance of getting a King.

-I have never EVER played with magma.  I think of it as too dangerous.  And don't see any reason to use it as a weapon - I prefer tall walls, traps, moats, and waves of militia.  I use pumps for my gym and that's about it.

-I love to read Succession Games but have only been in one.  And after my turn the game died - so I am worried about joining another game on the fears I did something wrong.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 09:32:44 am by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »

-I have just seized a Elf caravan this week.  And have not yet gone to war with them yet.  I kind of like them - they bring me stuff I want. 

-I once planed to kill a Noble but didn't do it when I figured it would mess up my chance of getting a King.

-I have never EVER played with magma.  I think of it as too dangerous.  And don't see any reason to use it as a weapon - I prefer tall walls, traps, moats, and waves of militia.  I use pumps for my gym and that's about it.

-I love to read Succession Games but have only been in one.  And after my turn the game died - so I am worried about joining another game on the fears I did something wrong.

1: Killing nobles does not affect your chances of getting a king, IIRC.

2: Embark on a volcano!!! No tedious pumps needed.

3: There's something important to remember about succession games. Boatmurdered had someone built a giant gecko as their contribution. If someone complains that you are doing it wrong then THEY ARE WRONG AND THEY DON'T DESERVE A GECKO. I forget what I was originally going to say. Point is, don't worry so much about succession games.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »

1: Killing nobles does not affect your chances of getting a king, IIRC.

2: Embark on a volcano!!! No tedious pumps needed.

3: There's something important to remember about succession games. Boatmurdered had someone built a giant gecko as their contribution. If someone complains that you are doing it wrong then THEY ARE WRONG AND THEY DON'T DESERVE A GECKO. I forget what I was originally going to say. Point is, don't worry so much about succession games.

I stopped embarking on volcanoes when all my smiths were seduced by Magma Crabs.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2015, 06:55:03 am »

-I create all my maps with ridiculously high rain, low drainage and many volcanoes so I can embark with at least a stream on a volcano with lots of wood and no aquifer (although I don't disable aquifers). I then use the safest method to have easy access to magma. I never needed to use anything but magma smelters/kilns/forges/... and always build an obsidian caster as soon as possible.

-I almost always go for 15 or 20 dwarves at the start with the startdwarf script and use maximum embark points.

-Worlds are generated with tons of levels between layers. My current fortress is already around 10 z-levels deep and I still see no sign of the first cavern.

-I don't care about what my dwarves work at. I let autolabor handle it. The same goes for production - everything is managed via workflow.
Taste my Paci-Fist

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2015, 11:37:55 am »

-Worlds are generated with tons of levels between layers. My current fortress is already around 10 z-levels deep and I still see no sign of the first cavern.
Mine are default. Sometimes I punch into one at the 8th level, sometimes the 50th.

Zachski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2015, 02:20:50 am »

I've never played a fort long enough for it to actually end in Fun.

I frequently go months in between sessions.  I don't upgrade my forts to the next update, so I'm always starting over.

I like to do silly things like have above-ground houses, have a militia of wrestlers, and so forth.  Impractical things that still make me happy because it's different.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2015, 12:25:58 pm »

I rarely make hospitals because I usually can't be bothered to secure a water supply.

I don't care much for candy equipment.

I mod rose gold to be a weapon/armor capable material just so I can have a bearded pink psychopath as my milita commander.

I never completed a doomsday weapon/device (like project FTW) or any suicide device of any sort.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Probe1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 10:23:59 am »

I have sadly never used minecarts for anything productive and only experimented with  them briefly.  There's something about their level of planning that doesn't appeal to me.

Dibuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:49 pm »

I disable aquifers.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2015, 07:14:48 am »

I have only reached the magma sea once, and I've not even found candy since ... .34?

I care about my dwarves and provide them all with at least basic bedrooms, and make sure everyone has at least a coffin with nice engravings around.

I give my nobility the rooms they [REQUIRE]...

I always have a swarm of traps at my entrance. I usually have at least 24 Lord/Master level fighters, but I still have those spiked ball pit traps or 10-serrated-blade walkways.

I can have way too much food, clothing, tradeable things, and metals but I hate the thought of my dwarves all getting murdered so I tend to retire (in this version) with happy dorfs rather than try and attend the circus.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2015, 11:28:16 am »

never once created any sort of traps.

never once created anything involving magma.

i pamper my dorfs by giving them all private beds,dining rooms and studies. and engrave all of their rooms.

i give each noble their own room as grand as they require.

i hate humans more than elfs.

i have only lost two forts by death to everything. every other fort i have just retired after it got to 120+ pop. from the two. one was lost to husks and the other one to circus.

i still got no clue how to make my dorfs wear proper armor sets.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2015, 12:38:46 pm »

I have never made a working pump stack.

I have never made a working minecart anything.  I've tried several times but... faugh.

I have never been to war with the elves (though I have annoyed the living piss out of them).

I have never opened the clown car, nor fought the denizens, nor colonized their hellish realm.

I have never built a truly substantial fortress/castle aboveground.

I have never hollowed out an artificial cavern with a city/castle in it.

I have never built a long-term fort in a reanimating biome.

I have never successfully set up a giant cave spider or FB silk farm.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2015, 12:52:13 pm »

I have shamelessly savescummed migrants or Starting Seven (aborting embarks) to get characters with personality traits I think are more interesting or useful. (Although I guess it's better than naming bridging them...)

I have never made a serious, long-term fort in an evil biome. 

I have never embarked on a completely aquifer-covered embark site in a serious site. I always have some tiles without aquifer to gain all the benefits of free infinite water with no possible creature spawns without the need to avoid a few layers. (I have done non-serious "chicken run" digs through aquifers that drain into the caverns, but those are for non-serious forts, due to FPS concerns.)

I have abandoned the overwhelming majority of my megaprojects and carefully-sculpted shape forts to boredom.

I have never made a generational fort, or any fort lasting more than 10 game years.

I have never embarked in the ocean.

I generally just rely upon traps (even elaborate cart-based ones) rather than deal with the stupid military screen.

I have never built a magma piston.

I tap the caverns once, then seal them off pretty much forever unless I need water and have no other source (again, aquifers). I set caverns to only 1 layer in worldgen for FPS and because I wouldn't deal with them, anyway.  I pretty much never do anything with FBs.  They just sort of loiter under my fort.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:50:11 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8