Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: King and queen wear crown, as miners wield pick  (Read 4224 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King and queen wear crown, as miners wield pick
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2015, 12:45:05 am »

I think it can be tied with mandate/demand system. If we get it so mandated crafts go into noble's posession, let's have them request regalia first. They will then wear it as clothes.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 08:59:54 am »

My mind just decided that "chains of office" should be added to the 'wearables' list, under this plan.  Certainly at the Mayoral level of nobility.

(Makes more sense than randomly placing chains-as-furniture in their bedrooms.  Unless they're into kinky restraint activities or something.)

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 04:01:59 pm »

I like this idea.  My favored implementation would be nobles demanding or mandating clothes "fitting of their station," which is defined by a minimum value in dwarfbucks.  This value could then be achieved by quality, dyes, embroidery, gem studding, or whatever embellishments can actually be produced at this particular fort. 

And in general "clothes befitting their station" would almost certainly be both more sensible and much easier to fulfill than a lot of the stuff we get now. 

And preferably fairly large prominent clothes at that: cloaks, shirts or robes, and other things that would be distinctive from a distance. 
Quote from: King
As King, I require either a scepter or a crown!
Quote from: Assistant
Our culture doesn't make crowns or scepters.
Symbols of oppression...
Quote from: King
Uhh, well then anything made out of giant tiger leather. I do love giant tigers...
A month later...
Quote from: Assistant
I present to you, your symbol of office, a giant tiger leather thong!

Yeah, I don't think a thong is big enough.  The main purpose of royal raiment is to look impressive (in other words, expensive), and I envision an expensive look being easier to pull off with a distinctive dye (or, better yet, gems).  Not that I'm an expert on leather, but I am given to understand that most leathers look pretty much the same, or are at least affected more by the tanning process than the animal the hide came from. 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 12:49:16 am »

While the fur industry is pretty evil largely, fur might be a good material for this.
One wheel short of a wagon

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 09:04:34 am »

Yeah, I don't think a thong is big enough.  The main purpose of royal raiment is to look impressive (in other words, expensive), and I envision an expensive look being easier to pull off with a distinctive dye (or, better yet, gems).  Not that I'm an expert on leather, but I am given to understand that most leathers look pretty much the same, or are at least affected more by the tanning process than the animal the hide came from.

It was a joke stemmed from a possible raw implementation, where, among other things, you may be able to specify just the material that should be used. In this case, they just happened to make a thong. The purpose of procedurally generated forgotten beasts isn't to die in a single punch, but it sometimes happens.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 10:41:42 pm »

It was a joke stemmed from a possible raw implementation, where, among other things, you may be able to specify just the material that should be used. In this case, they just happened to make a thong. The purpose of procedurally generated forgotten beasts isn't to die in a single punch, but it sometimes happens.

Jokes aside, one couldn't imagine the king wearing just a skimpy thong, sandals and a short cape as a mark of his office?  Or is it just me that needs the brain-bleach?

(And that's even before I remembered that this guy ruled his berserkers and crazies and other various 'camp'-followers whilst wearing not much more than leather hot-pants...)
Pages: 1 [2]