Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Bay12 Census 2015 -- Question committee, survey now live  (Read 8232 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Bay12 Census 2015 -- Question committee, survey now live
« on: April 22, 2015, 12:51:55 am »

Survey live!

The last time I ran an informal Bay12 census I created all of the questions on my own. I soon realized that I actually wanted a lot of more questions and some of the questions were ambiguous. So this time around I will open a discussion on which questions to include, and how to run the census in general.

The last census ran for 5 days; perhaps this one should have set start and finish dates?

Last time, these were the questions (and this is a link to the results):

1. What is your birthday? [frequency graph--should make it a bar graph next time]
2. What is your age? [curve--again, should be a bar graph]
3. Where do you live? [area map--should be a "population map" with circles on nations, probably]
4. Country of origin? [same as 3]
5. Have you ever played a ToadyOne game? [pie chart]
6. Have you ever played a non-DF ToadyOne game? [pie chart]
7. Which boards do you go to? [bar graph]
8. Have you accepted Tarn Adams as your lord and saviour? [pie chart]
9. What degree of education do you plan on completing? [pie chart]
10. What languages are you fluent in? [bar graph]
11. Preferred OS? [pie chart]
12. Are you clinically diagnosed with a mental disorder? [pie chart]
13. How fast is your internet? [line]
14. How would you rate your political inclination? [bar graph]
15. What is your employment status? [pie chart]
16. What gender do you identify as? [pie chart]
17. Cats or dogs? [pie chart]
18. How much time do you spend on Bay12 every day? [line -- possibly should be bar graph]

My initial thoughts are:

14 should be deleted, 16 should be split into two questions: gender (male, female) and inclination (hetero, homo, fluid, bi, etc). Perhaps a follow-up question to 12 would be interesting, called 12b and asking which kind(s) of mental disorders in broad strokes, eg Depression/ADHD/Schizophrenia. I am concerned that this would feel too privacy-invading though, even if all questions are optional.

What other questions could be included, and should some questions be reworded?

also: This time around I might put the results on an interactive javascript page.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 09:40:10 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Census 2015 -- Question committee!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 03:38:40 am »

also: This time around I might put the results on an interactive javascript page.
I read "javascript" as "lasagne". Now I'm hungry. :(
You should have a question about lasagne. Or at least something to do with food in general. Otherwise it all seems pretty good!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 03:42:59 am »

I'd like both sex and gender to be questions, as well as sexual orientation. These seem to be hot topics recently and I'm interested in the demographics.

Mental disorders would have to be classified under broad strokes such as personality, mood, or psychotic disorders
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:20:58 am »

Could you give me an example of the options for sex, gender, and sexual orientation?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:35:56 am »

Sex and gender are the same thing, except sex is biological while gender is identi...identicish...identical.....it's based on identity.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:18 am »

A lot of those pie-cahrts add up to more than 200% percent. What's up with that?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 05:05:01 am »

Sex and gender are the same thing, except sex is biological while gender is identi...identicish...identical.....it's based on identity.
No, not the concepts, I meant actual options :P eg:

Orientation: Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, Other

I don't know what kind of options there should be for a set of 3 questions (sex/gender/orientation).

A lot of those pie-cahrts add up to more than 200% percent. What's up with that?
Can you name one? All of them look normal to me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 05:13:11 am »

I'd like to see an expansion of the political questions, rather than just "liberal" through "conservative".

You're counting the raw numbers rather than the percentages. All the percentages add up to 100.

Orientation: Heterosexual, Homosexual, Bisexual, Other
Looks about right. People may complain about obscure nonsense being excluded, though.

Also, inb4 everyone votes "other" to troll me.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:15:31 am by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 05:21:21 am »

You're counting the raw numbers rather than the percentages. All the percentages add up to 100.

Not in the one pertaining to the acceptance of Toady One as our Lord and Saviour

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 05:25:43 am »

I'd like to see an expansion of the political questions, rather than just "liberal" through "conservative".

Could you propose a series of questions and options for that? I am a bit detached from politics so i don't really know what kind of options I should have...

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 06:35:11 am »

Ah, so I am. A note on style then: a lot of people (like Yours Truly) will automatically interpret comma as a decimal separator unless they make a mental effort. Please use parentheses.

No, not the concepts, I meant actual options :P eg:
The Facebbok List (with explanations). And here's a more official glossary of LGBT terms (sadly too broad to just copy and paste)
If you want to keep it short you can go with:
Sex: Male, Female, Both, Neither
Orientation: 0-7(or X)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

karhell

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_A_MOLPY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 07:14:36 am »

Ah, so I am. A note on style then: a lot of people (like Yours Truly) will automatically interpret comma as a decimal separator unless they make a mental effort. Please use parentheses.
*checks*

*checks again*

O______O

Well, Yours Also Truly seems to have made the same mistake >.<

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:59 am »

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:08:30 pm by penguinofhonor »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 07:56:52 am »

I don't see a reason for a biological sex option.
There's no point to any of this, but if you're going to pry into people's identity, you might as well ask if the curtain rod matches the drapes. It goes without saying that both questions are very optional.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 07:58:55 am by a1s »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 07:59:32 am »

There should be an option for grisha5. Also I don't see a reason for a biological sex option.
I intended that trans people mark the gender they identify as... I am not sure how one would go about classifying people outside of the "standard" lgbt spectrum though. Other?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7