Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 93733 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather
« on: April 23, 2015, 03:24:20 pm »

Hello.

Valve has just introduced the ability for Skyrim nodders to charge for their mods. so far, it's MOSTLY anywhere from ~1-5 USD. This is presumably a preface to a larger introduction of this system to all workshop games. Please, discuss.

If you are wondering, I am entirely against this. While I think that modder's should receive some sort of compensation, it's just not fair to the consumer, who, if they want the "full experience" will probably end paying $100+ for the base game, DLC, and now mods. That's preposterous.

If you too are against this, there are many steam groups advocating out cause, and a number of petitions going around.

Ze crisis is over.

Resume crisis-ing.

Ongoing craftiness.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 10:34:45 am by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 03:25:05 pm »

I'm pretty sure this is illegal.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 03:27:22 pm »

I am unsure of it's actual legality, but something definitely seems off about in those terms doesn't it. To compound that, valve takes 75% of profits and nodders take 25%. I have no idea of the depth of fucked up copyright shit this is subject to.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 03:28:38 pm »

Boo.  Valve is always trying to monetize everything.  Its gross.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 03:32:43 pm »

Boo.  Valve is always trying to monetize everything.  Its gross.

It's disgusting honestly. Hopefully this is where people will realize how fucking stupid the micro transaction bullshit is becoming and put an end to it. I doubt it though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »

I honestly can't see how. This is firmly within the realm of contract law. They're providing distribution services and charging for them. It's hella evil, but I can't see it being illegal within the intellectual property framework we have going these days.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:06:00 pm »

We can probably rest assured that companies won't stand for people charging for total conversions though. Think of what Games Workshop or LucasArts would do if steam was allowing (and even profiting from!) people monetizing their IP without a license.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 04:07:21 pm »

We can probably rest assured that companies won't stand for people charging for total conversions though. Think of what Games Workshop or LucasArts would do if steam was allowing (and even profiting from!) people monetizing their IP without a license.

Yes, that is a beautiful reassurance, but who knows, with the things going the way they are maybe companies and nodders will be willing to cut deals that are profitable to everyone.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 04:10:54 pm »

I doubt this is illegal in any way. Just scummy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 04:11:50 pm »

I'm guessing a lot of modders will be against it too.

Also, paying $0.99 for a sword in Skyrim? Practically nobody's going to pay that. The shit will pile up in its little corner of the Steam workshop while the good stuff (i.e. mods that are basically expansions in terms of the content they provide) will be worth it.

To compound that, valve takes 75% of profits and nodders take 25%.

THAT, however, is very fucked up. Are you sure it's Valve who's taking 75%? Or does that include the IP owner's cut? I would have assumed Valve would go with their standard 30% cut, which (while still unpleasant) is at least on-par with what's considered normal (iTunes and the Apple store take a similar percentage, most game engine licenses take a similar percentage, etc.).

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 04:19:03 pm »

To compound that, valve takes 75% of profits and nodders take 25%.

THAT, however, is very fucked up. Are you sure it's Valve who's taking 75%? Or does that include the IP owner's cut? I would have assumed Valve would go with their standard 30% cut, which (while still unpleasant) is at least on-par with what's considered normal (iTunes and the Apple store take a similar percentage, most game engine licenses take a similar percentage, etc.).
I'm guessing that 75% cut is split between Valve and Zenimax, though who knows how much each gets.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 04:20:03 pm »

Unfortunately, other than various other discussions I haven't found a solid source stating that valve takes the full 75% in gross, so it may well be the IP holder's cut (by IP I assume we are talking intellectual property).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 04:21:28 pm »

There's a precedent for pay-for mods.

That precedent is entirely set in flight simulators where you have to fully model and create the functionality of an entire aircraft, cockpit included.

I'd say this is not going to go well for much anyone.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:41:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 04:25:45 pm »

I think modders deserve compensation, but it is ridiculous that they get so little of it. Anyone trying to partially support themselves off a mod will have to price gouge and make Valve and the game company more money than they make themselves.

Modder's deserve donations. Modding should not be a way to make money. In fact, I'm pretty sure most nodders complete mods as works of passion. That passion deserves to be noted and rewarded, but frankly 5 dollars for every follower, house, or armor set is preposterous! If you wanna charge me an extra 5 bucks for a new region with new everything sure.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71