Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 93757 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather
« Reply #1050 on: September 15, 2017, 04:47:25 pm »

Did they start charging for it? :P
That would be amusing. I'm more wondering if bethesda will go after the modder for blocking what is basically their microtransaction store.

That will be interesting to see - I'm betting they won't for now. If they're clever they won't - not until paid mods become a lot more established so that they can claim the 'we can't let you guys be without this amazing content!!!' excuse.

At the moment, it'll just seem petty
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1051 on: September 15, 2017, 04:50:57 pm »

Ok so I looked into it a bit more. Basically it removes all ingame mentions of the creation club entirely so you won't have to see it because the 'news' is splashed across the main menu and other places. This removes those interface bits.

Here it is in case anyone wants to look it over.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26493/?

11,000 downloads in two weeks isn't bad.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 15, 2017, 05:57:13 pm »

One of my currently installed mods (though I don't know which one), in addition to whatever it normally does, changes the Creation Club button to $Creation Club. It's simple and it is great.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 16, 2017, 03:31:07 am »

Dwarven Mudcrab in freakin' 2013!
Well, textures are a little bit off on this thing, but still, it proves again and again that Bethesda just looked at the shittiest (in terms of content amount) mods in existance, and then copied them and put on CC for money. Oh, Bethesda, I praised you for the new DOOM last year, and now I spit at you after what you did this year...
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: September 16, 2017, 03:36:40 am »

Bethesda/ZeniMax doesn't deserve an iota of credit for Doom '16, they only published it. id did all the actual work, which really should just exemplify how fucked the whole publisher thing really is. This is id Software we're talking about here. Why should they need a fucking publisher? We're talking about the group that made Doom what it is for gaming history, that codified much of what we understand now as a first person shooter.

All Bethesda really did was try to fuck the game over by focusing all coverage on the mutilated multiplayer, force the level editor to be some outsourced second-rate nonsense, and nearly confirm in people's minds that it was a shitfest by denying review copies. Grassroots word of mouth alone is responsible for Doom '16's commercial success. The public had to work against the actions of the publisher to make the game they published popular.

In other words, the publishing system has become so degenerated that it is now inverting its original purpose.

And in my heart I know, I just know that all the executive managers-sum-autodidact marketers at ZeniMax have taken all that they did here as their own victory rather than the work of id's dev team saving their asses at the last moment, and that they are now certain that the market doesn't care at all about all the things in Doom '16 that were actually good. They'll focus on never giving review copies, omnipresent multiplayer, and outsourcing, and just fire the single-player developers, they're taking up vital budget space.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 03:43:30 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 16, 2017, 10:17:39 am »

Doomed doom

I strongly agree, Doom really felt like id was having to push against the publisher/someone all the way through. You can sort of feel it under the surface of the whole game: the publishers screaming out for a way to add microtransactions.

The whole multiplayer focus and map making just felt like the publishers were hoping it'd be a F2P arena FPS that they could milk for cosmetics and whatever, but they unfortunately got a really solid single player FPS and had to ditch all their preparation last minute and go with it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71]