Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71

Author Topic: Paid Mods -- Round 4: McGregor vs mAAAyweather  (Read 93742 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Workshop - Now supporting pay-for mods
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2015, 08:24:19 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:42:47 pm by penguinofhonor »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2015, 08:31:55 am »

What's the thing making modders hostile and paranoid aside from people stealing and profiting from their work, again? If Valve's system goes away then modders won't need to feel like that any more, since no one will be able to sell their stuff.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 25, 2015, 08:47:34 am »

also SkyUI's next update is paid

that's LITERALLY THE WORST-CASE SCENARIO HOLY CRAP

It's a mod that many other mods have dependencies on. This is now a choice between not updating to the latest version or some weird copyright shit. Worst case, like I said.

Also, Midas Magic's free version now has a 4% chance per using a master spell to have a pop-up dialogue that asks you to buy the mod.
So basically it's going to be "pay to even have the ability to install new mods, for which you probably need to pay too"?

Are single-player games going the way of Korean MMORPGs, with everything actually fun behind the paywall now?

Will the people using the paid mods form a community that looks with disdain upon the "filthy entitled people" who're using free mods?

EDIT: You know, the next logical thing to do is to start selling bugfixes and patches. I wonder when will they start doing that, too...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 08:55:02 am by Sergarr »
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 25, 2015, 09:16:09 am »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:43:02 pm by penguinofhonor »

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 25, 2015, 09:32:37 am »

Do agree a bit with penguin on this.  While yeah it's scummy what SkyUI is doing, modders shouldn't be the ones targeted for this.  Is there a legal basis for it?  Maybe, but the lawyering up needs to be done specifically to target Valve because while they're a multi-billion dollar corp, I'm sure that there is potential here for a class action lawsuit with not just how they're handling this, but how the greenlight and early access has been handled at the expense of consumers as well.  Content creators have rights, and consumers have rights, and no amount of EULA or warnings can supercede those rights.  Trick is getting people who've experienced it to not just shrug their shoulders because it looks like trying to take down a mountain.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 25, 2015, 10:05:15 am »

People harassing modders participating in this (Nexus admins have already locked comments on SkyUI from people harassing them) and people trying to exacerbate or accelerate any legal issues modders face (what Ispil is doing).

Yeah, THAT is something I do disagree with (the harassment of modders) , but Valve may burn hotter than Hades for all I care.

Though doing what Ispil did is something I believe is right (sending an email to Greensock about SkyUI violating their terms or planning to or whatever) since that's 100% on the SkyUI guys and not 'unreasonable' in the slightest.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 10:07:19 am by UXLZ »
The circle is complete.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 25, 2015, 10:44:32 am »

Two things that are tangentially related to the topic.

First off, lots of Valve hate everywhere I look, which begs the question why people who hate Valve are using Steam. Buy games off Desura. Get physical copies of games. If you're buying game's on the extremely convenient platform that Valve has made, it kinda undercuts your moral high ground. It doesn't matter if the games you want are only on Steam; by using Steam, you're implicitly supporting the business practices you so ardently despise.

Second, the paid mod update was accompanied by Skyrim going on sale, so I got Dawnguard and Dragonborn for 66% off, and, since I've stopped giving a shit about paid mods and am just waiting for the dust to settle, I'm happy about that.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 25, 2015, 11:07:34 am »

I use GoG... The only thing I've really used on Steam for years now is DotA 2, if my memory does not fail me.

Honestly, it's the possible implications for non-mod related aspects of game development that I worry for.
The circle is complete.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 25, 2015, 11:15:44 am »

First off, lots of Valve hate everywhere I look, which begs the question why people who hate Valve are using Steam. Buy games off Desura. Get physical copies of games. If you're buying game's on the extremely convenient platform that Valve has made, it kinda undercuts your moral high ground. It doesn't matter if the games you want are only on Steam; by using Steam, you're implicitly supporting the business practices you so ardently despise.
I use GoG...

Same here. I kind of agree with the prior statement, though. You want to stop Steam's shitty practices (which I think stem from their DRM policies? Boycott them.

I can't believe that in the times of social media a lot of angry people can't arrange a proper boycott.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #279 on: April 25, 2015, 11:16:24 am »

Well, first: this affects more than just valve users. It effects everyone who uses mods.
Not all of the outrage is from steam users.

Second: valve's distribution client isn't the same thing as this latest move. But we each can protest in our own way. Not using the workshop is the most obvious, most directly-related action. Persoonally, I would follow that up with not giving in to their sale. And I'm sure there are those out there that will swear off further steam purchases all together.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:18:10 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 25, 2015, 11:18:18 am »

Second: valve's distribution client isn't the same thing as this latest move.

If you wanted to send the strongest message possible, boycotting all Valve-related activities would be the way to go. It all leads back to the same company.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 25, 2015, 11:25:31 am »

Second: valve's distribution client isn't the same thing as this latest move.

If you wanted to send the strongest message possible, boycotting all Valve-related activities would be the way to go. It all leads back to the same company.
Valve doesn't really *benefit* from you playing on Steam unless you use microtransactions, meanwhile you lose access to your games. So that 'protest' doesn't affect them at all, and let's be honest - people who have 90% of their library on Steam, and realizing that, wouldn't persist in such a boycott because it's just BLOODY STUPID.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #282 on: April 25, 2015, 11:28:26 am »

Yeah, but half-measures are so much easier, and they might even have a chance of working.

If f4 or tes6 are going to feature this, I can safely say I won't be buying them, nor participating in the modding.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 11:30:46 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: April 25, 2015, 11:30:07 am »

Most of people that I know that have games on Steam don't actually play most of the games that they've bought there (they've bought it on a sale because it was cheap but they won't actually play the games because they're modern games and thus mostly shit), so I don't think that many people would lose much by just deleting all their Steam library outright.
._.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 25, 2015, 11:43:27 am »

Yeah, but half-measures are so much easier, and they might even have a chance of working.

If f4 or tes6 are going to feature this, I can safely say I won't be buying them, nor participating in the modding.
I'd imagine the seas will be even more crowded at that time after this debacle.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 71