Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why Reptile Men? and not Gnomes...  (Read 1557 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why Reptile Men? and not Gnomes...
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »

What is it about Reptile man that make them likely to join societies and become vampires and live in sewers and near human cities in caves and make them generally really common, but other intelligant creatures do not? why not gnomes and such, creatures without civilizations or anything...

Also why do they often spawn without spears and such without a entity file?

Hey while on the subject, what text file is there information in?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why Reptile Men? and not Gnomes...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 11:54:04 pm »

Gnomes can't speak, for one.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:37:22 am »

What is it about Reptile man that make them likely to join societies and become vampires and live in sewers and near human cities in caves and make them generally really common, but other intelligant creatures do not? why not gnomes and such, creatures without civilizations or anything...

Also why do they often spawn without spears and such without a entity file?

Hey while on the subject, what text file is there information in?
They do have an entity file. At the bottom of entity_default, SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:58:36 am »

Gnomes will never spawn with clothes or weapons because they are wild animals as far as the game is concerned; animals don't spawn with any items, sans megabeasts like minotaurs which are living in a lair, and therefore treated as a separate case.
Reptile men and the other subterranean animal people are part of an entity already; they're no longer considered animals, and members of one entity can move to another entity's site (the subterranean animal people don't even have sites, though, and in most ways are very limited and don't act like an entity. Nobody else ever comes to visit them.

And no, gnomes can't talk. Talking is very important to DF.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:27:37 am »

Gnomes will never spawn with clothes or weapons because they are wild animals as far as the game is concerned; animals don't spawn with any items, sans megabeasts like minotaurs which are living in a lair, and therefore treated as a separate case.
Reptile men and the other subterranean animal people are part of an entity already; they're no longer considered animals, and members of one entity can move to another entity's site (the subterranean animal people don't even have sites, though, and in most ways are very limited and don't act like an entity. Nobody else ever comes to visit them.

And no, gnomes can't talk. Talking is very important to DF.

Do entities need to be subteranian to be considered tribal and without interaction with the other civs? Or can you have groups of animal people living above ground without a kingdom.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 01:54:31 am »

Minotors seem to have a token called    [HABIT:USE_ANY_MELEE_WEAPON:100] If i give that to a random creature will they start using mellee weapons?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:19 am »

Pretty sure that HABIT tags are restricted to megabeasts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 06:37:18 pm »

Exactly. One thing I haven't tried is using that on a dangerous wild animal, hoping one kills somebody and becomes a historic figure and visiting its lair in game, so maybe if it has hands that would still work. But most of the time habits are only used by megabeasts and night creatures.

And no, you won't get above ground tribes. I actually tried that, and they never showed up. What you can do is copy the kobold entity definition and use other creatures with that. They wouldn't interact much except to steal (you can remove the tag that does that too) and they'll live as a tribe in a natural cave.

Toady plans to do proper nomadic/tribal civs above ground eventually, we just don't know when.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 07:40:25 pm »

If I add a weapon to a entity file like daggers to dwarves that will allow Dagger dwarves to spawn right? I want to make sure I can spawn soldiers that will weild knives other than goblins.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 10:09:21 pm »

If I add a weapon to a entity file like daggers to dwarves that will allow Dagger dwarves to spawn right? I want to make sure I can spawn soldiers that will weild knives other than goblins.
Yes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 10:12:38 pm »

If you want gnome societies, it wouldn't be hard to make a civ for them.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!