Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Abstract Vampires?  (Read 4834 times)

Wen Ligeng

• Escaped Lunatic
  • You remove the +«☼frill shark leather thong☼»+.
    • View Profile
Abstract Vampires?
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:40:36 am »

On my human wrestler adventurer, I spent a solid 4 hours yesterday trying to find a vampire with a kill count around 2000.
Of course, I only want to end that streak for my own virtual glory (and to become a vampire myself).
The vampire in question, however, is making this incredibly difficult to do, as they seemingly don't actually exist.

NPCs I talk to don't ever mention vampires to me, no matter how much I ask about the surrounding area or troubles.
This doesn't seem to stop them from being perfectly fine mentioning the veritable plague (at least 10) vampires assailing the town to other NPCs, though.
Sadly this results in me knowing about them without my character being able to ask about their whereabouts.

Except one, which is the one I am hunting. After a long while I managed to squeeze information out of the people that she is in a nearby hamlet.
Going there, I searched every house for the vampire and was unsuccessful (including the large structure with the local ruler).
Asking the townspeople about the offending individual resulted in them telling me that the vampire is their neighbor, but when I ask them where she is they direct me to an elf supposedly also living in the hamlet.
The elf isn't in the hamlet, either. Most of the townsfolk say they don't even know the elf when I ask, but he's still given as a director.

Checking the Legends after a save duplication tells me both the elf and the vampire currently live there, but I can't find them after several days of waiting around in the hamlet.
Do these individuals even exist outside of the Legends world interactions? Are they like dark fortresses in that they act as an entity for worldgen but have no actual entity or construction?

tl;dr
Legends says a vampire and an elf guide are in a hamlet, but despite several in-game days of searching neither of them seem to exist. Do they actually exist or are they just worldgen?

P.S. I generated the world with no bogeymen in advanced generation, and the only other statistic I altered was volcanism. I have no problem with bogeymen but I got a little tired of my 2 or 3 comrades dying, meaning I was doomed by default that coming night. Lost too many good adventurers that way. Could this have caused an issue?
Depressed vampires can be cheered up by socializing through glass windows.

The crystal glass vampire observation booth and adjacent necro-numismatics chamber have been designated a tavern. She is somewhat less depressed to have socialized, performed, and told stories. Come one, come all, see the amazing vampire story-teller!

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
Re: Abstract Vampires?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 01:14:01 pm »

Could be that the rumors are stale.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 01:49:50 pm »

If Legends says they're still there, then they should be there. If they moved somewhere else, anyone well-traveled would be able to tell you where they moved to, but if they're dead, then they'll say they're around, but have no idea where they could be.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »

If Legends says they're still there, then they should be there. If they moved somewhere else, anyone well-traveled would be able to tell you where they moved to, but if they're dead, then they'll say they're around, but have no idea where they could be.
In one world I had, only one half of what you said could be true. I was looking for a general that was supposed to be marching to war. EVERYONE told me he was there but didn't know where to look. According to you he would be dead, but the legends consistently told me he was alive.

Now, in that same world, the princess mysteriously vanished from her normal place and I could never find her, but she never died or moved. So these are my theories, your vampire is in an underground portion of the site, the vampire is scouting the area around and will show up later when they are done, only certain characters appear on site at once and the rest don't load, and finally you are the vampire and you are just trying to find yourself.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 04:05:01 pm »

In one world I had, only one half of what you said could be true.
I thought all of what I was saying implied that there's a bug. The situation you described attacking/invading armies has been reported already, but I don't know if Wen's was. I would suggest zipping the save and uploading it for the bug tracker.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:03 am »

How do you know if one is a vampire? Some vampires don't wear jewelry made of sentient body part.

Not all inhabitants are shown when you visit the hamlet. That vampire hasn't shown up yet, probably because there are too many people in that hamlet.

Hence, you could fight and kill every one, which would finally reveal the vampire.

All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:01 am »

How do you know if one is a vampire? Some vampires don't wear jewelry made of sentient body part.

Not all inhabitants are shown when you visit the hamlet. That vampire hasn't shown up yet, probably because there are too many people in that hamlet.

Hence, you could fight and kill every one, which would finally reveal the vampire.
Actually the jewelry thing isnt any good for telling you if someone is a vampire.

From the wiki: "humans find keeping trophies of animals, sapient beings and of other humans perfectly acceptable". Meaning you will find trophies on them fairly often if they killed anyone invading.
Dwarves shun those who keep trophies of sentients and are appalled by ones of other dwarves. Meaning you might find trophies on them.
Elves are immortal and dont have temples so they hardly ever become vampires.
Goblins, well we kill them anyway.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:54 am »

From the wiki: "humans find keeping trophies of animals, sapient beings and of other humans perfectly acceptable". Meaning you will find trophies on them fairly often if they killed anyone invading.
Dwarves shun those who keep trophies of sentients and are appalled by ones of other dwarves. Meaning you might find trophies on them.
Elves also have an ethic against wearing animal parts. In my world, there's a high frequency of elvish vampires, but many of them also originate in human civs, so they may have the civ identity including ethics. Sentient bone jewelry may not be a perfect indicator of a vampire, among mortal humans I've seen it very rarely on battle veterans, but it's still a good enough indicator.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:08:30 am »

Elves also have an ethic against wearing animal parts. In my world, there's a high frequency of elvish vampires, but many of them also originate in human civs, so they may have the civ identity including ethics. Sentient bone jewelry may not be a perfect indicator of a vampire, among mortal humans I've seen it very rarely on battle veterans, but it's still a good enough indicator.
I saw a human tooth crown on the lord. I can confirm he is not a vampire because he suffocated.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:24:42 pm »

I saw a human tooth crown on the lord. I can confirm he is not a vampire because he suffocated.
You saw one, did you? The exception isn't the rule.

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »

You saw one, did you? The exception isn't the rule.

Calm yourself. Its actually quite common in my game. Especially if the only kills they have are sentients. Becomes rarer if they have animal kills.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 06:55:53 pm »

Honestly, I would probably wrestle all the villagers to death out of bravado and because they are technically harboring a vampire.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 11:04:39 am »

Anyone who kills other sentient beings and has no ethical scruples can make trophies from them.  Vampires are only notable for having a lot of kills.