Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stop Uwe Boll  (Read 6818 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stop Uwe Boll
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:01:00 am »

..By signing the Petition

To: Dr. Uwe Boll
We, the undersigned, respectfully ask that Uwe Boll give proper weight to the wishes of the video game community, the horror community, and the film going community in general and stop directing, producing, or taking any part in the creation of feature films. His distasteful handling of the subject matter and lack of acknowledgement of his failures simply cannot be abided any longer.

Mr. Boll has repeatedly shown a complete lack of comprehension regarding the videogames he has dragged, kicking and screaming, to the silver screen and his ham-fisted approach to horror has soiled future possibilities for anyone else who may attempt to bring videogames to film.

Sincerely,
The Undersigned

--
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/stor...271690,00.html  
Director promises to retire if a million people demand it

Staff and agencies
Monday April 7, 2008  www.guardian.co.uk  
Uwe Boll, the revered German director of Zombie Massacre and BloodRayne II: Deliverance, could be facing an enforced retirement thanks to the results of an online petition. The petition calls for Boll to "stop directing, producing, or taking any part in the creation of feature films". And if it can amass 1m signatures, the organisers may just get their wish.Certainly the director appears to have left a hostage to fortune during the course of an interview with the website FEARnet. Informed that the petition had already amassed 18,000 signatures, Boll retorted: "18,000 is not enough to convince me [to retire]." The director was then asked how many signatures that would take. "One million," he said.
Within hours of the interview going live, the tally stood at 48,000. Boll will be hoping that the petition does not go viral. The fate of the man behind such classics as In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale is now hanging in the balance.
Boll is no stranger to controversy. In 2006 he invited four critics who had panned his films into a boxing ring in Vancouver, where he proceeded to batter them into submission. But an army of one million enemies might prove a battle too far, even for Boll.

Quick! Sign the petition before he makes a bad Dwarf Fortress movie!
[EDIT]Fixed the link,just click 'by signing the petition'.[/EDIT]

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: Bien ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Stop Uwe Boll
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:27:00 am »

It's too late for Postal, but we may be able to save a few souls from his grasp...  

By the way, the link you posted doesn't go where it's supposed to go.  Unless you intentionally linked to a "We're sorry, the page you requested does not exist" page.

Languidiir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tcombat.b1.jcink.com
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

I REFUSE TO SIGN BECAUSE I'M A JACKASS
A young man said, "Damn,
It is borne upon me that I am
   A creature that moves
   In predestinate grooves
Not even a bus, but a tram."

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

I'm dubious.  Sure, he SAID that, but that doesn't mean he'll honour it- he might find some way to backpedal and parlay it into publicity.
"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 05:01:00 pm »

Uwe Boll is like Hitler, what he says to the public and what he says in privacy and to close friends are often two entirely different things. The only way he'll stop making movies is when he and is wife kill themselves as the Russians invade his home.

And because his movies are probably funded by Nazi Gold.

[ April 29, 2008: Message edited by: subject name here ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

I had never heard of him before now, so I looked him up on Wikipedia.

Wow...

He's the movie version of DEREK SMART.  It's insane.

DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART
DEREK SMART

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

Uwe Boll is my hero.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by subject name here:
<STRONG>Godwin invocation</STRONG>

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 04:07:00 am »

Like I said, I'm wary of anything so easy.  I took Awesome webcomicist Howard Tayler's warning seriously.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 03:44:00 pm »

I'm sure if Uwe Boll was not making movies anymore they'd find someone else of comparable talent to make these movies.    ;)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 07:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>I'm dubious.  Sure, he SAID that, but that doesn't mean he'll honour it- he might find some way to backpedal and parlay it into publicity.</STRONG>

This brings to mind Jack Thompson's modest proposal.

Even if the million required people sign the petition, he'll ignore it.

Also, I get a strong feeling from one of the above posts that this Uwe Boll guy has indirectly admitted that he's terrible at what he does by saying he will stop if enough people tell him to.

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 07:35:00 pm »

I'm not sure if he's terrible at what he does or very good at doing awful things.

I'm only familiar with Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal.  Explain?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by McDoomhammer:
<STRONG>I'm not sure if he's terrible at what he does or very good at doing awful things.

I'm only familiar with Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal.  Explain?</STRONG>

Modest Proposal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Video_Game_Proposal

Basically, Thompson said that he would donate $10,000 to the charity of Take Two's chairman Paul Eibeler's choosing if someone made the game he described. The game was made, but Thompson backed out and threatened to sue the guy who donated the cash in his name.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

Well, you need to see a Boll film to actually know how he has earned his reputation, but let's take a peek at IMDB ratings...

His highest-rated film in what most would call a rather prolific career is rated close to five stars.  Out of a ten-star rating system.

His past few films have not topped three.  His lowest-rated film got a rating of 1.7 stars (I think it was a seven).  They are generally rated around 2.3 stars.  Several of his films rank in the bottom 100 of IMDB's rating list.

He has tarnished the images of several different games, most recently Dungeon Siege and Postal.  I have absolutely no idea how he manages to find funding and actors for his releases.

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 12:13:00 pm »

Wow.  That guy is pretty much made of pure, concentrated weapon-grade Fail and lose.

Including at satire.  Like I said, I've read Swift's... in his satirical 'proposal', he donned the mask of a reasonable and concerned Englishman, suggesting in a modest and reasoned way that the famine in Swift's native Ireland be alleviated by breeding human babies for food.  It also commented ironically on how impractical other solutions (including ones Swift had seriously suggested) to the problem were.  

I can just about see how his challenge was supposed to mirror that, but it's really nothing alike.  He clearly didn't think that one through.  More a case, as one literary critic has put it, of 'Irony [meaning] never having to say you mean it.'  I love how the end result was the gaming community showing him how using humour as a weapon is really done.

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

[ May 04, 2008: Message edited by: McDoomhammer ]

Pages: [1] 2