Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Site Accessibility  (Read 1691 times)

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Site Accessibility
« on: April 24, 2015, 10:34:45 pm »

Pretty much just wanted to ask whether civs (and other fun things) will travel over glaciers to reach your fortress (caravans, sieges etc.).
Like when you embark on an island or continent that is only "connected" to another continent via the north/southpole's glacier and not any landmass.
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Site Accessibility
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:41:52 am »

It should show in the embark screen. Press tab to scroll through several different information menus. One should tell you what your site's neighbors are.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 08:56:31 am »

Oh my...that's embarrassing.
Why have I not noticed that option before... D;

Thanks for telling me.

So...civilizations not listed on there (Neighbors) will never show up, or might they show interest in my fortress once it grew more?

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 10:56:24 am »

Over the course of the fortress other civs might build cities closer to you, and thus begin showing up, but that's leaving it up the RNG gods. If you want to be sure of having a certain civ near you, make sure you're within 30 world tiles when you embark. Any civ this close will show up in the embark neighbor information.

Eldin00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:58:56 am »

For caravans, being listed in the neigbors screen is generally sufficient. Sieges actually path from a site of their civ to your fortress, and path around lakes, oceans, and mountains. So even if they are within 30 world tiles, if no path 30 tiles (or shorter) exists from one of their sites to your fortress, you won't get sieges. It's also worth noting that sieges are pulled from entity populations, while caravans still don't seem to be. So a civ with hardly any population left will still send caravans, but won't send sieges even if you're right next door to one of their sites.

Airgeoff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:52 pm »

It depends on your situation.  Across a glacier/water - no.  Certain features just can't be crossed by other civilizations as of now.  Other areas - it's a possibility that they eventually grow outward and find that path as the others have described above, but this would probably take a very long time before actually seeing it in your game if already embarked.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:03:52 pm »

Well, good to know. I thought they'd travel over glaciers.

I finally found my desired embarking location (or at least a location as close as possible to what I wanted...after literally days of trying new worlds), sadly only 1 of the 3 Goblin entities has access to the site, but 2 Elf and Human civs should have access - and indeed, 2 elf caravans did show up (at the same time) in spring after the first year.

Will have to see what else will show up in time. Would be great to have more than just one Goblin siege...but finding the location already took long enough. Maybe in time they will get access. So far there was no siege yet - so...still waiting to see what will happen.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 11:55:34 am »

@Syrus getting two elf caravans:  I'll be honest, I'm a tad bit envious you have two elven civilizations to trade with.  Double the chance to get a breeding pair of grizzly bears, rope reed, and sun berries.

Nonetheless, reading this topic has given me a little more insight on what causes a siege, so I must thank you wonderful folks for the knowledge on what conditions are ideal for a siege.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 08:16:56 am »

So, to not make another topic and since it is along the same lines ... what's the difference between "-----" and "War" on the "Neighbors" tab of the embark screen?

I was starting a new fortress and noticed that one of the three goblin entities is labeled that way for one of the dwarven civilizations - one which seems to almost be non-existant anymore. Will it cause Goblins to attack with more force or earlier?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

Goblins have "always war" so they will attack with little provocation if they have the resources and proximity.

"war" means they are actively trying to wipe out your civillization.  Whether this means they'll send more or less depends on how well their war's going and how much they have left to aim your general direction.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:10 am »

So I guess becoming a part of the civilization that has no sites on the embark map visible anymore, which also says "War" for one of the three Goblin entities, is an excessivly Fun idea due to the high likelyhood that they will wish to exterminate my fortress, being the "last part of the civilization"? When I tried a first embark it didn't give a warning that there were only few dwarves of that civilization left around. Going by what I read on the Legends their capital had some fun with a dragon and they lost a war against the goblins which resulted in them being taken over (?!) by goblins with a goblin leader in charge (?!).

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 11:17:49 am »

Take a good look at the embark map when you generate it.  (Embark is too late to see.)  Quite a lot of "dwarven" fortresses are liable to be goblin.  Which doesn't mean they don't live in them, but that the goblins are ultimately in charge.

But there's no guarantee of anything when goblins are involved.  "always war", plus soldiers being genuinely drawn from civs now and not just invented out of thin air, means goblins tend to spread themselves as thin as they can.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 11:19:23 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 11:25:53 am »

Goblins have "always war" so they will attack with little provocation if they have the resources and proximity.

"war" means they are actively trying to wipe out your civillization.  Whether this means they'll send more or less depends on how well their war's going and how much they have left to aim your general direction.
Specifically the ""always war"" is that the goblin entity has the [BABY_SNATCHER] token, and dwarves don't. Kobolds have the [ITEM_THIEF] token, and if they showed up on the embark screen they'd have the same red line goblins do. [BABY_SNATCHER] means they steal children from other civilizations, putting them permanently at war, but it's quite different from a normal war as they'll only attack player fortresses. They only attack world generation sites when they get into a normal war under the same conditions as humans would end up at war with elves, or dwarves would end up with humans.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia