Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to find the fun in DF again.  (Read 830 times)

Zemouregal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to find the fun in DF again.
« on: April 25, 2015, 08:55:47 pm »

Hi, Ive been having trouble playing DF. It's gotten boring for me after I build it. I reach magma, mine some adamantine, this and that. But I cant seem to find a challenge or its my patience being tested for the gameplay.

Any suggestions?

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the fun in DF again.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:05:54 pm »

Well are you playing truly vanilla DF?

I found that after a while of playing with therapist and with pop_cap altered, I lost quite a bit of those old fun-times. However, by going back and downloading a fresh copy of DF and playing it right out of the box, I reacquainted myself with the old challenges, got more immersed and found myself being lured in once again.

oh, and  using macros to assign labors is the best vanilla way to do it... and using the nickname system

Other than that, try the usual suggestions of terrifying embarks and megaprojects.
I know it sucks being burnt out on a game, so it might also help to try some other ones instead, for a while

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find the fun in DF again.
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 10:17:26 pm »

try looking at dwarf fortress not as a game (defined as a system of rules that when interacted with produce a quantitative 'fun') but instead treat it as a story generator. This requires a bit of a roleplayers mentality. Look at each individual dwarfs personality, family history, religion and infer from these randomly generated factoids a meaningful and relevant life story. If you do this for your starting seven, and then come up with an ulterior motive for settling thebfortress, I bet you'd have some fun! If you step away from the mentality of DF as a hard simulation and view as a poweful narrative generator, you open up a new path to enjoy Toady One's creation!

tl;dr give your dwarves personal motivations and life stories. roleplay them out and see what happens!