Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to drain excess Magma  (Read 1803 times)

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to drain excess Magma
« on: April 25, 2015, 01:32:54 pm »

So I am building a magma stack to bring magma to the top of my fortress. I got lucky and found a magma pipe at level 64. What I want to be able to do is empty the magma out after I fill it up so that I can easily change where the magma goes. I know magma doesn't flow off the edge of the map, so I was thinking of draining it back into the magma pipe. Does this make the magma disappear, or will it just start draining into the cavern the pipe is connected to?

I know I can use an atom smasher to destroy the magma, but this requires a dwarf to constantly be pulling a lever. I was hoping to drain it with just one pull of a lever.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to drain excess Magma
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 02:26:09 pm »

I know magma doesn't flow off the edge of the map

It does.

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:41:57 pm »

I've read from other forum posts and even the wiki that water but not magma will flow off the edge of a map
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 02:46:47 pm by natemiddleman »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 03:14:18 pm »

I've read from other forum posts and even the wiki that water but not magma will flow off the edge of a map
Those forums posts and wiki articles were for Dwarf Fortress version 0.28.181.40d and earlier - as of version 0.31, magma does flow off the edge of the map.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 03:39:47 pm »

And on the off chance that you want to destroy magma using an atom smasher: you can automate that using a repeater (I use mine cart repeaters en masse). The other alternative is to use the various available options to block the flow, such as draw bridges or hatches (both made of magma safe materials throughout), or by turning the power off (without having the stack fold like a house of cards).
I construct my pump stacks with some extensibility in mind by having one closed drawbridge at the top leading to a short empty tunnel. That way I can connect that tunnel to something I just came up with and let the flow in. Another variation of the same theme is to have short tunnel WITH magma at the top or close to it, such that I can draw from that source with a new screw pump (and potentially a stack).

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 03:46:05 pm »

Ok thanks very much, but I am still wondering, does magma that drops into a magma pipe disappear?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »

Ok thanks very much, but I am still wondering, does magma that drops into a magma pipe disappear?
No, it does not.

Also, "magma pipe" was only a thing back in version 0.27-0.28 - in the current version, they is only the "magma pool" and "volcano".
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 05:16:11 pm »

No, it does not.

Also, "magma pipe" was only a thing back in version 0.27-0.28 - in the current version, they is only the "magma pool" and "volcano".
Isn't a magma pipe just a volcano that doesn't reach the surface? Could have sworn I saw one in addition to my volcano. Then again, I don't recall how far up the magma went. It may have been empty. I definitely recall having seen troglodytes climbing around in empty shafts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

natemiddleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 06:02:40 pm »

The wiki says that magma pools don't refill and magma pipes do. Magma pipes also go all the way down to the magma sea. My magma source refills and reaches the magma sea, so unless they added it in the starter pack, magma pipes do exist in the current version. And map selection didn't say anything about a volcano.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:04:50 pm by natemiddleman »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 06:21:56 pm »

The wiki says that magma pools don't refill and magma pipes do.
Where exactly on the wiki (i.e. URL plus the location within the article) does it say that?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:34:13 pm by Quietust »