Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New generation archery range & ammo splitter. >99% recycle rate!  (Read 14870 times)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: New generation archery range & ammo splitter. >99% recycle rate!
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2015, 02:41:35 pm »

As long as the troll is confined within that one square, I don't think it matters whether or not he is chained. Maybe it does help to prevent climbing, i dont know. Along with all the usual problems faced when chaining hostile enemies.

It wouldn't matter. As long as the walls are smoothed as the design suggests, they won't be able to climb anything, and will just be confined to the 1x1.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2015, 05:56:33 pm »

As long as the troll is confined within that one square, I don't think it matters whether or not he is chained. Maybe it does help to prevent climbing, i dont know. Along with all the usual problems faced when chaining hostile enemies.

It wouldn't matter. As long as the walls are smoothed as the design suggests, they won't be able to climb anything, and will just be confined to the 1x1.

It looks like an aboveground structure, though, and walls made from blocks are climbable. They're more difficult than rough walls, or "rough block" walls, but unlike natural walls that are then smoothed they are possible to climb.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2015, 06:54:34 pm »

From the sounds of it, OP dug this out expressly so he could smooth everything. Definitely doable as a aboveground thing though, with a little more risk involved with the climb-ability.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2015, 07:54:36 pm »

It looks like an aboveground structure, though, and walls made from blocks are climbable. They're more difficult than rough walls, or "rough block" walls, but unlike natural walls that are then smoothed they are possible to climb.

Smoothed natural walls and built walls look the same, at least in Phoebus (which both users who posted screenshots seem to be using). It's only once you engrave smoothed walls that they look different.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2015, 03:18:39 am »

Captured a particularly pompous Elf to practice SCIENCE on. The compact design works wonders. The archers miss confirmed about 99% of the time unless they go to fetch their dropped bolts, in which case they'll shoot down through the well and generally hit. Letting the elf keep what awful gear he had helps stretch out his lifespan.
The only caveat so far is that any civilians ordered to fetch bolts will get spooked/interrupted by the elf. Trying to suss whether I should just let my archers fetch bolts from the usual stockpile and wait till the target dies to order any fetching of shot bolts...

I also have an Ettin captured, but I'm slightly more frightened of trying to pit him, since he could actually accomplish some damage.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:21:34 am by Iliithid »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 09:09:56 am »

I am thinking of doing this, but adding a lever-controlled hatch in the arrow recovery level. 

At some point, ammo splitting isn't necessary so setting them to forbid ammo after shots.
Pull the lever to close the levers will prevent archers shooting the target, and the haulers will not get spooked.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 11:13:39 am »

could you use an archery target instead of live ammo to accomplish this? Or does pathing not count climbable paths for the archery target check?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2015, 12:42:06 pm »

could you use an archery target instead of live ammo to accomplish this? Or does pathing not count climbable paths for the archery target check?

No. Archery Target is a room within a z-level only.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2015, 01:43:55 pm »

No, it needs to be on the same z-level. And plus, why would you ever do it with an archery target when live bait is so, so, so much faster? Like far and away at least three to six times faster.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2015, 04:20:23 pm »

Archery targets don't cause vengeful toughts.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »

Exactly.
That's what I thought, how unfortunate.
Does firing at live targets train them faster or do they literally fire faster?
Or rather, does firing at archery targets make you fire slower or do you just gain less exp because it isn't actual combat?

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2015, 09:51:34 pm »

Both columns. Shooting at a live target gains you 30XP per shot vs 5 or 6 XP per shot at an archery target. They also fire a bit faster, I've noticed. Plus, who cares about vengeful thoughts? What fun is there in a fort with nothing wrong?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2015, 09:11:53 am »

Archery targets don't work half the time.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 07:30:05 pm »

For whatever reason, I've come across an issue. The archers will eventually just stop shooting at whatever is in the pit, like they lose sight of it. Regardless of whether it's a Minotaur, a troll, a trog, or something else. They shoot at it happily for a while, maybe a few seasons. This particular one worked up until creating two Elites. Then it just stopped working. All that changed between particular choice of target is whether civilians got interrupted or not.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 04:11:26 pm »

Maybe it gained stealth skill? Is that a thing for enemies?

Could be that its legs got hurt and it is less visible on the ground?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4