Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New generation archery range & ammo splitter. >99% recycle rate!  (Read 14875 times)

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
Re: New generation archery range & ammo splitter. >99% recycle rate!
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2015, 07:33:42 pm »

It could be both those, maybe. I found that spamming wooden bolt construction (or at least keeping some sort of bolts being made) seemed to fix it for some reason.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2015, 04:11:33 pm »

I figure you guys can help me.

I'm having some trouble equipping some of my marksdwarves. He/she won't pick up a quiver.

There are quivers available. The position in the squad seems to be the problem, as my other marksdwarves pick up quivers. Switching out the dwarf does not solve the problem. The dwarf has plenty of room on his torso for the quiver. Even force-equip won't stick the quiver on him. What do I do?!

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2015, 04:30:56 pm »

I figure you guys can help me.

I'm having some trouble equipping some of my marksdwarves. He/she won't pick up a quiver.

There are quivers available. The position in the squad seems to be the problem, as my other marksdwarves pick up quivers. Switching out the dwarf does not solve the problem. The dwarf has plenty of room on his torso for the quiver. Even force-equip won't stick the quiver on him. What do I do?!
Urgh, this old horse. Try dumping all quivers in a place within your barracks, then reclaiming them once they're dumped, see if any of them smarten up. Also try doing M-E-U-Shift+Enter to apply your uniform to all your units, and make sure the uniform is set to "replace clothes, exact matches". They'll throw everything off and pick up the best of what they can find. Hopefully some of that is quivers. Best to have a good overflow of quivers and ammo available as well, just in case.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2015, 05:52:44 pm »

Thanks

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2015, 05:04:33 pm »

Bolt bending?  This is amazing!  New design for all forts.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2015, 10:08:08 pm »

I have to note that by further research it is showing some weird behavior. If you station only one marksdwarf in one splitter he will not miss most of his bolts. But if you increase it to two dwarfs their bolts will miss virtually 100% of the time. And even weirder is that when you remove the newly added dwarf the first one will continue to miss all of his bolts. I guess more SCIENCE will be needed.

It's stuff like this I think would be helpful for Toady to hear about. It's odd behavior glitches like this that can often help illuminate where buggy code might be hiding. I think FPS death is likely strongly linked with minor bugs in pathing, item stockpiling, job ques etc. that are magnified by the shear number of incidences of these bugs that occur as a fort grows.

For whatever reason, I've come across an issue. The archers will eventually just stop shooting at whatever is in the pit, like they lose sight of it. Regardless of whether it's a Minotaur, a troll, a trog, or something else. They shoot at it happily for a while, maybe a few seasons. This particular one worked up until creating two Elites. Then it just stopped working. All that changed between particular choice of target is whether civilians got interrupted or not.

Although I haven't tried to build this archery range I remember running into this buggy behavior in my old fort on the DF version that came before this one. I had various insect men such as lice men which basically served as my live fire targets for my archers. I let them loose in the shooting gallery and my dwarves would rain bolts down on them from behind some fortifications. It seemed to work great for a while. Lice men are incredibly durable when it comes to taking crossbow fire. I had some of them that survived in that shooting gallery for many seasons and then I noticed my dwarves simply stopped firing at the long lived ones after a while. I figured it was an ammo problem until I investigated more closely and realized they had ammo in their quivers. They just stopped firing regardless of which method I used to order them to attack the lice men. Since it happened a while back my memory is a little faded but I remember sometimes I could get a few of them to start firing again if I disbanded them, made them go back to their regular jobs for a while and then ordered them back to the shooting gallery.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 10:13:41 pm by Melting Sky »

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2016, 11:41:09 am »

(ERROR)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]