Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is POP_RATIO deprecated?  (Read 2643 times)

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is POP_RATIO deprecated?
« on: April 26, 2015, 05:26:29 am »

No longer possible to use POP_RATIO to change the sex ratio?

Propman

• Bay Watcher
  • Eh.
    • View Profile
Re: Is POP_RATIO deprecated?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 06:42:02 am »

It still works in most cases (in fact, I've observed that even setting a caste's populatin ratio to 0 prevents it from being generated naturally), but it interacts rather oddly with subterranean entities.
Quote from: from Pathos on April 07, 2010, 08:29:05 pm »
( It was inevitable, really. )

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:25:45 pm »

(in fact, I've observed that even setting a caste's populatin ratio to 0 prevents it from being generated naturally)
That would be new behavior.  Previously, setting POP_RATIO to zero was the same as omitting it, so you ended up with the default of 100.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 02:11:36 pm »

(in fact, I've observed that even setting a caste's populatin ratio to 0 prevents it from being generated naturally)
That would be new behavior.  Previously, setting POP_RATIO to zero was the same as omitting it, so you ended up with the default of 100.
And before that I think setting it to 0 prevented it from being generated naturally (34.8 or so I think). We've come full circle.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Bo-Rufus CMVII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:20:19 pm »

With 40.24 I set dorf male = 1, female = 0, generated a new world, and got a 3:4 split on the embarkers.

Changed ratio to one billion to 1, generated a new world, and got all male embarkers.  No apparent problems during world gen, but it will be interesting to see what happens if I play it out.  Could be trouble if I get cut off from emigrants.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:28:18 pm by Bo-Rufus CMVII »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:46:33 pm »

And before that I think setting it to 0 prevented it from being generated naturally (34.8 or so I think). We've come full circle.

No, even all the way back to when castes were introduced POP_RATIO:0 was ignored.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 02:33:16 am »

It still works in most cases (in fact, I've observed that even setting a caste's populatin ratio to 0 prevents it from being generated naturally), but it interacts rather oddly with subterranean entities.
It's still ignored according to my tests, can you share the source of your info so I could check it? Maybe it was 0.40.23 or earlier?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 12:04:43 am »

POP_RATIO has never worked for wild animals, if I'm not mistaken.