Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rebuilding a civilization  (Read 8241 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rebuilding a civilization
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:41:41 am »

It looks like that my civ is extinct.
I do receive migrants every year, but I have not yet received an outpost liaison. Is there any way that I can become the Mountainhome?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:01:37 am by TheKaspa »
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinct civilization
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 11:48:09 am »

Check your civilization ('C').  There is probably already a king or queen out there somewhere.

You can become the mountainhome in time, just keep growing.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 11:53:15 am »

Nope, it says "This lands have no important leaders"
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:34:29 pm »

On this topic, I started as part of a civ with a mountiainhome and two fortresses as well as numerous hillocks on a pocket world. Before the first caravan arrived, one of my dwarves from the second wave claimed the position of King and there was no liaison with the caravan. Did my civ just get steamrolled?
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:45:54 pm »

Skullsploder: Possibly, but it is also possible that the dwarf in question was in the line of succession, so it may just be that the old ruler died for some reason and your dwarf was promoted.

TheKaspa:  If you are running a current version it is unlikely that your civ is dead if you did not receive a pop-up on the embark screen warning you of such (Toady added that just recently, maybe even this version), so it is more likely that there is a large war going on or a recent megabeast attack.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:55:06 am »

There was a popup saying that my civ was on the verge of extinction (or something similar) and that my dwarves could become important positions soon.

In another fortress I received two baronies that were conquered, but in this one game I have not received any nobles so far. Not that I complain, only I accidentally destroyed my pig tail seeds and I need them to start my clothing industry: I only have two alpacas and I am frequently under siege, so I have to pasture them into the caves...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 02:02:23 am »

Doesn't the cavern have pig tails?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 02:07:03 am »

Doesn't the cavern have pig tails?

According to prospect all, no. I do have, somewhere, rope reed, although I have not yet found it. And I don't like to use it because I have a Necromancer nearby so it would be better to not depend on surface crops.
And of course cavern didn't spawn GCS, otherwise I would have been good.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 02:24:09 am »

Strange.
They are GRASS_TAIL_PIG are you sure you didn't find them?

Since you have already dug into the cavern, maybe you can dig a reasonable large area in your soil layer. I believe eventually pig tails will grow.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:26:22 am »

I have not found them in the meaning that I have not yet gathered them.
I don't know if there is a plugin for dfhack similar to locate-ore
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 02:44:38 am »

Like I said, carve an area in your soil or clay layer, it should grow all kinds of cavern plants eventually.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 04:17:53 am »

Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 05:43:28 am »

I believe dfhack has a script called getplants or some such. It can list every plant on your map, and also set up a gathering job for specific plants.

If that's too cheaty and you need cloth asap, the rope reed might be your only choice if you can't find pig tails. It looks like grass and grows near surface water. You could channel down a few z levels and then roof over it to avoid constantly braving the surface.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rebuilding a civilization
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:11 am »

It's a strange map.
I have no surface water (except for a few ponds outside the main gates - that are inaccessible due to the current undead siege), the subterranean water is gathered from a single well and I plan to give no direct access since the caverns are "manned" by FBs.

I will try to exploit getplants, once the siege will be over - it will be a while since I have to build another secondary entrance for the unded, the current one is too close to the main gate and the invaders are not interested in it.
Any suggestions on the matter are welcome even if OT.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a civilization
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 11:59:16 am »

getplants just marks the plants to be gathered, I believe.  You would still need a dwarf to go get them (which won't happen if the caverns are locked down).  Your best bet is probably to carve out a soil area and wait.  Pick everything in it every season or so.  You don't need many seeds to get a cloth industry going, since each seed can become 4-5 every couple months (assuming decent planters).
Pages: [1] 2