Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rebuilding a civilization  (Read 8239 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilding a civilization
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 06:01:51 pm »

Assuming your map has soil, just dig out a big square in a soil layer and create a Gather Plants activity zone.  Pig Tails will eventually grow there and your dwarves will automatically collect them.  If you don't have soil, or don't want to use it, you can fill any room with water to make mud and underground crops will grow there. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 07:20:22 pm »

HIjacking this to ask a question about rebuilding Civ's

My outpost is the last fortress of my civ, it seems a king was elected and is somewhere in the wilds, from legends it looks like he escaped goblin slavery.

Are post-worldgen seiges fixed ?   I read somewhere that post worldgen the attacking force always won,  has that been resolved ?

If so is rebuilding a civilization possible ?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 07:29:02 pm »

Are post-worldgen seiges fixed ?   I read somewhere that post worldgen the attacking force always won,  has that been resolved ?
Yes, but it is random. For example, you never have a problem defending yourself but after retiring the fort, it just falls.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 02:09:38 am »

Assuming your map has soil, just dig out a big square in a soil layer and create a Gather Plants activity zone.  Pig Tails will eventually grow there and your dwarves will automatically collect them.  If you don't have soil, or don't want to use it, you can fill any room with water to make mud and underground crops will grow there.

Using this method I finally got two pig tails plants. I immediatly gathered them and processed - using a repeated "process plants" job.
I then discovered, by looking in the thread stockpile, that I have surfaces crops other than Rope Reed available for processing, and I will use them as soon as I can secure the area.
Brace yourselves, socks are coming!

Luckily, while chopping trees above the old pig tail warehouse, I punched the ceiling: I will reconvert those farm plots into surface farm plots by carving out all the ceiling.
The holes provided access for a single undead who spotted a dwarf busy stockpiling pig tail seeds (I forgot to cancel the stockpile) but the only casualty was said useless Traderhauler as the ironclad hammerpolice was quick into pulping the undead into oblivion.

Now if only I could understand how to launch an undead under an atom-smasher...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:25 pm »

Looking in legends I discovered my civ has been conquered by elves.
I am not sure I would ever be able to become a mountainhome...
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 07:00:01 pm »

Looking in legends I discovered my civ has been conquered by elves.
I am not sure I would ever be able to become a mountainhome...
Hmm, maybe you can get an elf king, in time?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:22 pm »

If there are FB's in your cavern keep them sealed.  Just dig out a large room from soil.  Pasture your alpaca's then set the rest as a plant gathering zone (I hope you are keeping them sheared!).  If you can, try walling the FB into his own section of hte caverns (even if its half the caverns/most of them).  Even if its just a small part of the caverns, try and pick the shrubs there for some wild pig tail fiber. Then spin those/gain seeds/and begin farming. The rope reeds will be buy that pond- again, they also spawn near water.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2015, 03:03:35 am »

If there are FB's in your cavern keep them sealed.  Just dig out a large room from soil.  Pasture your alpaca's then set the rest as a plant gathering zone (I hope you are keeping them sheared!).  If you can, try walling the FB into his own section of hte caverns (even if its half the caverns/most of them).  Even if its just a small part of the caverns, try and pick the shrubs there for some wild pig tail fiber. Then spin those/gain seeds/and begin farming. The rope reeds will be buy that pond- again, they also spawn near water.

Forgot to update yesterday, already done it.
I have created a farm in the cavern, I have no FB; the only one I have ever had (who flew outside the map) was in the lowest cavern, right over the magma sea and filled with water. It is sealed, but I have to open it (at least tempoarly) because my brewers forgot to brew drinks and my only well is unable to sustain the growing number of Urists.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2015, 03:56:01 pm »

Is it actually possible to rebuild an entire civilization?  For real?  Like, they'll send out explorers to build outposts real?  Stuff will happen while your world-gen emulator last-forever-with-no-input fortress goes along at 80 FPS in the background?  New legends will appear?

If so, that is SO AWESOME.  If not...

Toady? :)

Actually, how are you even able to embark with no sites?  Perhaps there are still people, but then there'd be some sort of nobility, even if they are just some random peasants huddling in a cave, right?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 06:07:29 pm »

Is it actually possible to rebuild an entire civilization?  For real?  Like, they'll send out explorers to build outposts real?  Stuff will happen while your world-gen emulator last-forever-with-no-input fortress goes along at 80 FPS in the background?  New legends will appear?

If so, that is SO AWESOME.  If not...

Toady? :)

Actually, how are you even able to embark with no sites?  Perhaps there are still people, but then there'd be some sort of nobility, even if they are just some random peasants huddling in a cave, right?
The starting 7 are generated. As are some migrant waves. In my world, the civ was dead. But there are survivors somewhere(or they were generated) because once one was assigned queen, the diplomat etc were assigned to people not in my fortress.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 02:07:15 am »

In my world, the last news about my civ (before my embark) was in year 80 IIRC. I embarked on year 250...

It's like the rebuilding of Erebor. The Iron Hills are not of the same civ, so you can rebuild only with Thorin & friends.
Although nobility is still obscure for me, I do not have a King nor a diplomat.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »

Why on earth the squirrel ghost had to stop just one urist away from the bridge?
Why?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 12:39:44 pm »

I will let you know what happens in my game. I revived The Infinite Flag and the new capitol is "Grayroads". I retired it because I couldn't get a baron, either due to the existing bug related to it with caravans, or the fact I had a queen. This meant I couldn't establish diplomatic relations. Sad.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2015, 01:44:32 am »

I will let you know what happens in my game. I revived The Infinite Flag and the new capitol is "Grayroads". I retired it because I couldn't get a baron, either due to the existing bug related to it with caravans, or the fact I had a queen. This meant I couldn't establish diplomatic relations. Sad.
If you retire and found another settlement, shouldn't you be able to diplomate?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

Pages: 1 [2]