Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: !!SCIENCE!!  (Read 2032 times)

!!SCIENCE!!
« on: April 26, 2015, 01:44:53 pm »

It would be interesting if DF had a science system, but instead of having a tech tree like in most strategy games, there there would be knowledge about a certain thing (stored as books in dedicated buildings and spreads as rumors in between individuals), the more knowledge there is about a certain thing, less/less talented scientists are required to discover properties of a thing. Properties have 2 uses: 1)giving more knowledge about the thing they are a property of, and 2) creating a new use for the thing when inventors are assigned to create new designs. Properties could also be discovered during world gen, mostly basic ones such as cloth burns, glass shatters and so on and so forth.

For example, your fort has 2 properties of glass, 3 of booze and 1 of cloth, 9 of steel, 4 of wood and 7 of cobwebs. You then assign a inventors to procedurally create a new design by mixing the properties, so he could for example invent the Molotov cocktail, the glider or whatever. One problem I see is how the game will come up with names for the inventions.

TL;DR, Scientist discover stuff about things which allows inventors to create new designs.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.
Re: !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 06:13:33 pm »

Okay thanks.
Or you could just let the children roam free and natural selection will take care of them.
I'm now picturing an elf wrestler trying to suplex my battlements.

illiousintahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:03:53 am »

It would be interesting if DF had a science system, but instead of having a tech tree like in most strategy games, there there would be knowledge about a certain thing (stored as books in dedicated buildings and spreads as rumors in between individuals), the more knowledge there is about a certain thing, less/less talented scientists are required to discover properties of a thing. Properties have 2 uses: 1)giving more knowledge about the thing they are a property of, and 2) creating a new use for the thing when inventors are assigned to create new designs. Properties could also be discovered during world gen, mostly basic ones such as cloth burns, glass shatters and so on and so forth.

For example, your fort has 2 properties of glass, 3 of booze and 1 of cloth, 9 of steel, 4 of wood and 7 of cobwebs. You then assign a inventors to procedurally create a new design by mixing the properties, so he could for example invent the Molotov cocktail, the glider or whatever. One problem I see is how the game will come up with names for the inventions.

TL;DR, Scientist discover stuff about things which allows inventors to create new designs.
What about more for things like material properties.
For example though dwarves would start knowing a certain rock was good for iron, getting a certain grade of steel by the purity of that iron would modify a base value of the item as well as it's characteristics.
Bronze being something that had to be researched as it is an alloy (which would mesh well with it being better than iron [look it up]).

Arguably the easiest implementation is increasing values.
Scientific discovery could make more desireable goods, but only as created by the scientist, thus science being a skill more dwarves use (just like maths as a science of discovery & proof of underlying function in real life).