Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves are probably running too fast.  (Read 1088 times)

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves are probably running too fast.
« on: April 27, 2015, 01:58:40 am »

Recently, I ordered a novice melee squad to hunt some deer. During the fight, an axedwarf hacked off a deer head, which "sailed off in  an arc!" Since I watched the fight frame by frame, I located the head when it was still in the air. Then I "F"ollow the item, and unpaused the game. The FPS was 30 then. The head continued to move for ~20 tiles one z-level above ground.

To my surprise, the head seemed to fly slower than a dwarf runs.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves are probably running too fast.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 02:31:03 am »

It's most likely due to dwarves' naturally short legs. Being short, they adapted other ways of quick movement, one of which I will show here.

As you can see, this young, blue-haired dwarf has perfected his family's ancient Figure Eight Run and can do it in place, without moving an inch. Fascinating.
Black lives matter.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 04:48:58 am »

Recently, I ordered a novice melee squad to hunt some deer. During the fight, an axedwarf hacked off a deer head, which "sailed off in  an arc!" Since I watched the fight frame by frame, I located the head when it was still in the air. Then I "F"ollow the item, and unpaused the game. The FPS was 30 then. The head continued to move for ~20 tiles one z-level above ground.

To my surprise, the head seemed to fly slower than a dwarf runs.

Not completely insane, though. The head flew up in the air at an angle, it wasn't like your dwarf hit it with a baseball bat. You can lightly throw something up so it "sails off in an arc" for a few meters, then run and catch it before it hits the ground.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 06:27:09 pm »

It's just an artifact of the way that time is compressed in fort mode.  There's really no acceptable solution that makes the game playable and completely realistic.  You could just make the head fly faster, probably, but then you have to be careful with the already wonky physics of projectiles and how deadly they are.  And even then you've only solved one of the many inconsistencies, and made it much less entertaining to watch severed things fly away.  :)
Through pain, I find wisdom.