Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread  (Read 19676 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: This Forum's BBC
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 03:50:26 pm »

Code: [Select]
[color=transparent]Use this to be annoying.[/color]
This right here is the worst. I know that some browsers might let you see it when you highlight, but mine certainly doesn't, meaning every time I want to read the damn invisible text I either have to copy/paste it into a decent text box or hit the quote button to see what the heck people have in their post. It's very annoying.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 04:22:08 pm »

Personally I like using transparent text, if only as a way of helping ensure a joke doesn't get taken seriously. If someone quotes a post with transparent text in it (to try and start a debate or something) they should notice the unformatted text if they're paying any attention. Adding random smileys to the ends of things also works and is far more common, but I try to avoid using them, since I've always found them disingenuous.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:37 pm »

Personally I like using transpar :Pent text, >:( if only as a way of :-X helping ensure a joke :'( doesn't get :-\ taken seriously. If someone quotes a post :) wi ;)th transparent text in it (to try and start a debate or :-* something) they should notice the unformatte 8)d text if they're ;D paying any attention. Adding random smileys t :) o th ??? e ends of things also works and is far  :omore common, but I try to avoid using them, since I've always foun :P d them disingenuous.

FTFY  :D
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:36 pm »

ok, here:

wrap text challenge:

[snip]
...I see.  (Sorry, I somehow missed this, until the further posts.)

I'm not sure how I would (reliably) fulfil most of what you're asking for even in HTML.  Without using explicit pixel-widths.  In a way that works in all browsers.  (Note, some new-fangled HTML5 that I can't recall might allow this, but again at the cost that not all browsers will reliably enact it.)

Without that, even a BBCode enhanced with extra HTML tricks behind the scenes.  (Like, conceivably, a [tag] could be allowed to be further defined as [tag width="300px"] or [tag width="50em"] or something.  And I know that [table border="1"] isn't accepted on this particular board, but there may be something else that does this thing...)

Anyway, without that:

A) Wrap to the width of (an) image:
...possibly fit both into a [table] column and create a second column with non-breaking whitespace enough to demand as much as you can wish for to 'encourage' this first column to be as narrow as it can be.  But that's a fudge.  And may not work the same in all browsers (again).  And would be horribly wasteful, as if anyone cared about bandwidth these days.

B) Wrap to (given) text:
...might be similar.  Would be harder for text with spaces in (if you don't make all those non-breaking), and the same problems.

C) Wrap to a width of 300.
...Easiest, if the board's main admin (that's Toady) or associates (Threetoe, primarily) allow the parsing of the "width=" as given above, probably by a custom rule although other administrators will probably have already worked out the best format for the custom rule regexp/whatever.

All without manually breaking each line. This would be good in a table too, where it is allowed to wrap tighter on smaller monitors if needed. If there is several columns.
This always was a thing, in HTML.  Special purpose markup is used to not do this (and these days I lose track of all the bells and whistles demanded by people who insist on pixel-perfect rendering, in an attempt to be exactly the same, when the original functionality was intended to be "render something like this, let the browser work out the best way of doing it".  (And by even imagining that it's definitely going to be a web-page it leaves browsers like the old classic Lynx unable to comply...)  But that's always been a problem.

(I once found a website I was asked to re-edit had originally been created by making a screen-sized image and a "clickmap" emulating the hot-spots where hyperlinks would be, were it text and not just image pixels-of-the-text.  Of course, it had assumed the size of the visible screen (or, rather, web-page canvas area), and you can imagine what it looked like on larger or narrower screens or in a non-maximised browser.)

Personally, I switch between a netbook and a latop, and host forum games. Making me aware of and motivated to dispay things well for a variety of viewers.
Good for you.  As a past-master of the art (well, maybe I flatter myself), the image-mapping example above is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to people demanding something that HTML was never intended to do... and BBCode is (at best) a subset of that.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2015, 02:57:35 am »

Starver would you mind posting live copies of those examples like the image/table one.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2015, 01:18:33 am »

Sorry, been busy.  Not sure if I'm giving you what you're asking for, here, but...

Tested the above on several browsers, from IE8 (XP) through to several Mozilla-types (fine-tuning on SeaMonkey, as my Firefox is a couple of versions behind).  I gave each table a border="1"; remove or edit to "0" to get a cleaner 'no-border' version, but without the same indication of what's actually going on.  (Was going to use a style on the page and class to do that, given it's actually deprecated these days, but forgot.  Was also going to background-colo[u]r the classes of "success", etc, but retasked the idea to demonstrate the non-tabular width-clipping.)

Also I put some 'real' text at the end of the spacing block cell.  Partly as comment (see next paragraph), but also serves to show you where the it all ends up.

Anyway, all tabular versions except the one that moderates with the width-parameter are definitely fugly.  Needs must when you don't know what your control width item will actually be, though.  That was just my original first thought, and maybe there's a way of handling it.  (For the image-width version, with sufficient control of the server-side software, one could actually grab the image size from the suggested image file and dynamically set the width in the following bit to match that, as if you'd asked for a straight "300" value, or whatever it ought to have been.  But that's probably beyond the capabilities of the regexp engine that merely translates BBCode into served HTML.)

And of course none of this works in BBCode.  Until and unless it gets programmed into the server-side.

And if you have criticisms of my HTML... like I said, I just bashed it up for a quick test that should serve you well enough. ;)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 01:49:30 am »

Was there every a BBCode solution found for this text wrapping question?

On another note I am curious, I believe I've seen people post images that you can click on and then they grow bigger. I am wondering how to do that. Will post if I find out on my on by coming across it again.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 01:59:15 am »

On another note I am curious, I believe I've seen people post images that you can click on and then they grow bigger. I am wondering how to do that. Will post if I find out on my on by coming across it again.

The BBCode image resize does that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 05:10:13 am »

The Bay 12 Broadcasting Corporation?

Honestly, when I first opened this thread, my head was full of theories on what the title could mean - someone claiming this forum is like the BBC (and whether that was good or bad)? Someone asking what the BBC-equivalent of this forum is? This is cool too. I GUESS.
None of those were what I was thinking of...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 03:33:10 pm »

Honestly, when I first opened this thread, my head was full of theories on what the title could mean - someone claiming this forum is like the BBC (and whether that was good or bad)? Someone asking what the BBC-equivalent of this forum is? This is cool too. I GUESS.
... well, you aren't the only one.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:11 pm »

... well, you aren't the only one.
Same here.

*cough*

Just sayin.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:47 am »

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Anyone found any function of the first and second number on this forum? Can you create different results?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2016, 01:53:13 am »

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

Anyone found any function of the first and second number on this forum? Can you create different results?
By my understanding, the original format was textcolor,glowcolor,glowstrength, but it's nonfunctional now; you can change the color of the glow by changing the listed color, but that's it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2016, 12:07:16 pm »

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

By my understanding, the original format was textcolor,glowcolor,glowstrength, but it's nonfunctional now; you can change the color of the glow by changing the listed color, but that's it.
That doesn't really make sense. Why would "text color" be a part of it when that is a separate thing?

Does anyone know how to indent? I found a sloppy way of doing it. You make a list of bullets with [x], if one contains bbc like italic the following will indent along with any text.

• here's my ex.am.ple
  • I be.lieve it will show you

what it is I mean
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 12:12:32 pm by GameBoyBlue »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »

[glow=red,2,300][/glow]

That doesn't really make sense. Why would "text color" be a part of it when that is a separate thing?
Because the color is applied to the glow, not the text itself. That's just how I've always found it to be described. It's the color of the glow applied to the text within the tag, in plain English.

For example, green text with a red glow. The text color is green. The text color of the glow is red.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7