Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread  (Read 19456 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 12:10:17 pm »

So it is (or was?).

Have you considered just using the Preview button, if you're testing something?

(You also didn't close the [color=] tag.  Which is a stylistic error, even if it doesn't create rendering problems.)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread v2
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2016, 12:07:20 pm »

This post will represent the "preview version", so that I can continue to work on this project and not need to log into my old Alt but once a great while. (Unless there's a way to steal ownership of it? Mods?)

Making my roseheart account the OP somehow would be spiffy
(Toady One looked into it. Decided No), but I'll probably just remake the thread when I've updated enough to warrant it, otherwise.

notes:
added:
-comment to symbol section.
-more colors. (1/6th complete)

todo:
absorb:
Bumber's List Types

BBCode or Bulletin Board Code is a lightweight markup language used to format posts in many message boards.

I aim to compile all the neat and useful stuff available to spice up your experience when contributing to these fine forums. Forum Games and Roleplaying is one of the internet's most active hubs for forum games(I blame it on the fact that with how complex some game makers make the games, it takes Dwarf Fortress player's to derive pleasure in unraveling them), So I intent to highlight any code or tricks that may help with creating games, which should cover many more common uses aswell. So let's get started!

Tip! Before we break out the markers, colored paper, and crazy glue, lets talk about your eraser: [nobbc] and it's matching closing tag [/nobbc]. With this, all BBCode inside will not work, which is good for discussing it. just so you know!

Spoiler: UNSOLVED MYSTERIES (click to show/hide)

BONUS
Spoiler: ❦ FONT TEST (click to show/hide)
Secret Smilies

Thank You!
Code contributors(In Alphabetical Order): Bumber, Criptfeind, Flying Dice(and many more names I will add when I use your contribution in this guide!)
And thanks to all who are and were enthusiastic about this ongoing project!

Official resource: here
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=153900.msg6591948#msg6591948

The thread itself is meant to be a place to ask and answer questions. For example:

Original post:
I was wondering if there is a resource to see what BBC is enabled specifically to this forum. For example I want to add 'hover text' to images, though I dont know how or if this forum can do it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:41:32 am by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »

Quite obviously they do... But when you've finished filling the gaps, it'll be interesting to see.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2016, 06:32:20 pm »

It's dirty and unpredictable. The cleaner way is just:

Unindented
[list type=none][li]Indented
Text[/list]
Unindented

Unindented
  • Indented
    Text
Unindented

"[list type=none][li]" should be thought of as one tag. The "[li]" part allows formatting within the indent. "[/list]" automatically adds "[/li]". It'll show up in subsequent edits.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:41:09 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2016, 09:36:02 pm »

You're missing mediumorchid.

For that matter, I have this feeling that there are a lot of light- colors missing...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2016, 10:16:42 pm »

I aim to compile all the neat and useful stuff available to spice up your experience when contributing to these fine forums. Forum Games and Roleplaying is one of the internet's most active hubs for forum games(I blame it on the fact that with how complex some game makers make the games, it takes Dwarf Fortress player's to derive pleasure in unraveling them), So I intent to highlight any code or tricks that may help with creating games, which should cover many more common uses aswell. So let's get started!
I took this trick from Evil Lincoln and I think others noticed it when I used it in my RtD (obviously biased by experience).
I recall I ruined the forum format (which caused the forum post boxes to glitch with text) in editing the OP of that game once, due to all those table tags, especially within the Personality spoiler. :P

But you can tabulate (table) "" spoilers here. While you cannot put spoilers within spoilers, you are able to 'make them appear' within paragraphs.

Though care should be used if you wish to put a spoiler within a paragraph.
Spoiler: Like so: (click to show/hide)
The line must begin on its own with the {td} being set up to accommodate the spoiler on its own.
This kind of...visualization is best used if spoilers are to be at the start of your paragraphs or sentences instead of at the end.

Edit: Cleaned it up for easier visibility. :-[ Also exchanged spoiler positions because I just realized that last sentence applies here too.

Also so Evil Lincoln has more credit, he used that in his second game-thread being made. Check it out :D Although he's inactive nowadays...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:40:20 pm by Tiruin »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2016, 10:21:59 pm »

MFW:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2016, 01:05:26 am »

Missing LimeGreen, plus transparent, isn't it?

Adding [abbr=Abbreviation][/abbr] tags makes sense too, though it doesn't work on mobile browsers apparently.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2016, 01:27:07 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is also useful for manipulating the sizes of quote boxes, by the way. Or their position, in the same way as a spoiler. It is, for instance, how I got the quotes in my sig image to fit so neatly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2016, 04:22:15 am »

Missing LimeGreen, plus transparent, isn't it?

Adding [abbr=Abbreviation][/abbr] tags makes sense too, though it doesn't work on mobile browsers apparently.
Ah. Had thought that worked, myself, posted it in (on Mobile) and found it oddly behaved (tags 'absorbed' and non-visible as if parsed, unlike [codswallop]non-working tags[/codswallop], but no effect arose) and thus removed the suggestion from my intended post.

Server-side parsing and acceptence but conversion to browser-side apathy would explain that entirely.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »

Quite obviously they do... But when you've finished filling the gaps, it'll be interesting to see.
What would be... most useful to you? Which section ...if there's one in particular.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:22:13 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2016, 01:06:20 am »

Suddenly I can't have certain bbcode boxes next to each other. The preview will come up empty.

If I have:
2 quotes next to each other.
both have color and glow.

It won't preview and I cannot post it. "the body of the message was left empty"

I know this is a new problem because I was just trying to add information to an old post not related to this matter and it triggered it because of what was originally in the post that is now not getting through.

Try reposting the below code, or at least previewing it:

[quote]
[glow=red,2,300][color=red]quote 1[/color][/glow]
[/quote]
[quote][glow=red,2,300][color=red]quote 2[/color][/glow]
[/quote]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2016, 01:07:04 am »

Yes, bug with 2.0.12, fix is in the works.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2016, 01:11:51 am »

Where do you track these things?

Edit: I took a jump to the simple machines page linked at the bottom of bay 12, and went to the community page.

I did not, from an admittedly quick browse, see anything relating to problems with reviewing and posting quotes.

Fish are you aware of a "known problems" page?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:20:46 am by roseheart »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2016, 01:24:24 am »

It's in the Bug Reports section of the forum.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=548896.0

The title is a bit counterintuitive, but it's there.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7