Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread  (Read 19455 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: This Forum's BBCode Help Thread
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2018, 01:14:33 am »

Yandex (which is based on Chromium) shows WIngdings.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2019, 05:53:37 pm »

^LAST

LAST
(right-click copy of quote address)

LAST
(direct copy of post url, actually the same url as last one, so redundant)

LAST
(browser bar url when clicking on post title url, also the same/redundant)

Edit 1: Only the first allows the link to open in the same window, on PC. Windows Chrome.

Edit 2: Same result on Android Chrome (phone).

Example Use:

Code: [Select]
[center][table]
[tr][td]FirstQuoteHere[/td][td]LastQuoteHere[/td][td]NextQuoteHere[/td][td]SkipQuoteHere[/td][/tr][/table][/center]

[center][size=12pt]◀◀[/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt]◀[/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt]▶[/size][/center]
[center][size=12pt]▶▶[/size][/center]
Just forward and back:

[center][table]
[tr][td]LastQuoteHere[/td][td]NextQuoteHere[/td][/tr][/table][/center]

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:25:28 pm by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 02, 2021, 11:05:08 pm »

As I've been wrestling with an annoying niggle, I thought I'd post my various findings here, in case they're useful.

Note that several things have changed since my last (2018) post, not far above this one, including which mobile device (and browers upon it) I'm using. And that I am satisfied that all my various issues (like the continuing [abbr] incomplete functionality) are at my end.

Basically, the [font]-tag is entirely dependant upon the reader's system taking the paramaterised 'suggested' font that is supplied (via simple HTML) as the font-family style parameter to a <SPAN>. As with the Wingdings, above, it works when it can work. Other tags, when translated, specify (directly and/or via CSS) a fuller font-family, particular ones that are specifically fixed-width users. Again, it depends upon the end-user's system, but it at least includes multiple fallbacks.

Test .W_- font=courier - fails to become Courier-like on this browser+device, after invoking any font-family style for the sole parameter (browser/device issue)
(Note that I haven't discovered any cascaded use for the bbc_font class that this could invoke, but it wouldn't help this issue much anyway, the way it 'works'.)

Test .W_- font=courier new - fails on this browser (could it work with quotes passed around to multiword style?)

[font="courier new"]Test .W_- font="courier new"[/font] - entirely fails to parse as BBCode (doesn't appear to like me giving it quotes to transform into the HTML form)

Test .W_- font=monospace - works on my device, though it's a sub-sized font in direct comparison with non-monospace of same pointsize spec. Unknown if "monospace" is universally acceptable, though I think it'll have a decent chance to widely so.

Test .W_- code-tagged - invokes DIV-nested style that specifies a thorough font-family listing that works, even if just upon the one last listed (monospace). But doesn't help with SPAN-type inline styling.

Test .W_- tt-tagged - 'normal' fixed-width (calls bbc_tt style in CSS; full family list with monospace but renders larger than font=monospace, so may be one of the other after all). I shall probably use this option more in future, though it isn't rendered via any 'editor' button so is slightly fiddlier.

You, dear reader, may have entirely a different set of results for everything I describe in this post. Which is more a vanity project for myself than an instruction-manual.

And, while I'm here, I'll echo another recent conversation I had (with a fellow member of this parish) about the Glow and Shadow tags.  They render badly here (i.e. this particular device, 2020-vintage rather than possibly half a dozen years older). Pinch-zooming indicates that they are placing correctly (Glow and Shadow layer sit behind, and slightly offset to, the primary version of the text) and the zoomed-in or font-upscaled effects are pleasant and readable (though may need side-scrolling!), but at 'normal' size the glow overdominates. A purple 'glow' behind a fuschiaedit: no, orchid I meant text just looks blurry purple (but then fuschiaedit: orchid! and purple are a similar hue). Changing to a 'red' glow for some notable contrast, the glow clearly dominates (it actually gives a rose-pink effect, but still looks just blurry). Giving a totally contrasting glow (e.g. green) makes it messy and blurry at non-zoomed appearance.

Obviously, again, somewhat specific to my device (and eyes), but FYI while this is all at the forefront of my mind.  i.e. full standardisation/uniformity of presentation is a dodgy assumption to make, even these days. But I hope this helps someone else in some unknown future who goes looking for similar reasons for similar issues.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:03:11 am by Starver »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:13 am »

^Nice bump. I should really remake this thread on my new account, so I can compile all the additions in the OP. This will be that if it happens. I have a lot of little projects like this one.
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2022, 09:12:35 am »

Is there a way to put a link in a image, and have the link open in the current tab? Via BBC...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2022, 10:01:47 am »

Hmmm.. Let's see...
Code: (This, of course, opens in a new tab, though) [Select]
[url=http://i.postimg.cc/0QRTfC7F/Rose-Heart-Logo-Modified.jpg][img]http://i.postimg.cc/0QRTfC7F/Rose-Heart-Logo-Modified.jpg[/img][/url]
(Huge image, BTW, I hope I'm not downloading that every time I see your messages... ;) )

...the best external help I can find, is https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=510222.0 - nine years ago and states reasons why the default is the default (I'd have put it differently, but automatically keeping where you launch from is useful). And no obvious way to get around it, at the user-side. A homegrown extension (external 'eurl' to match the internal 'iurl' mod?) might do it. But is there a great enough need to ask for it?

PS, I nearly posted in this thread yesterday, after rediscovering the problems behind monospace font-specifications such as I already went into a couple of messages above. I wrote it and then went looking for the thread to paste into, only to find that I'd already analysed it just over a year ago. :P )
« Last Edit: March 21, 2022, 10:04:51 am by Starver »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2022, 06:04:50 am »

A lot of webcomics allow you to click on the image to go to the next part. I have and am currently making a webcomic in Forum Games & Rleplaying, and I'm not the only one to do so, such as MadMonkey's Losing Is Fun since 2017. Shoot, was doubtful but hoping it was possble already. T0ady0ne has expressed a willingness to the possibility of adding some forum mods. Perhaps if several people expressed an interest in a same tab image url mod, it could happen.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2022, 11:13:46 am »

...but that doesn't help you, it's just my rationalisation for the way the backend rationalises these things. In ways that disfavour your intentions.

But, having read what you actually want, it looks like you want a "Skip to next 'creative point' in the thread" link that re-uses the current page (unless the person uses their "open in new tab/window" powers, explicilty, of course). Once (say) Day 2 is up, you might currently add a forwarding link from Day 1 (as well as post-Zero, or the reserved 'index' post you set up after it) and you want it to skip the new-tab (target="_blank", or whatever) aspect.

I think the "iurl" idea would work for that. It would need to accept only a bay12forums domain (maybe also bay12games?) fully-formed URL, or else the same kind of reference as goes into a [quote]-tag's parameters (e.g. the "link=" bit in [quote author=roseheart link=topic=150365.msg8361316#msg8361316 date=1647947090]) and translate that into a "_blank"less <a href=… form. Which would work around an image just as easily as the _blanking version currently does, although I'd suggest [internalLinkTo]Day 2[/iLT…] would be more obvious unless you had explicit "Click this image to move on" text rendered upon the image-raster. (As I said in the Spoiler, I don't think I've ever tried to click on a main comic image to get to the next one, just any obvious and separate "Next" (image-)button.)

I've not looked at the docs that specify the format for tag-translation/etc. I think it should be 'easy', but I have neither the access of Tarn to the system, nor know how willing he is to add such a fundemental change. Not that it changes existing url-tag behaviour, but it has to be worth using to be worth enabling, and there are possible mis-uses to it that I can't rule out, so if caution is the watchword (and/or if Tarn isn't otherwise keen to risk breaking an already slightly creaking Forum-Handler package for minimal useful utility) it could be a request he won't pay heed to.

But I'd not say it isn't worth asking about. Or you/anyone correcting my amateur(ish) assumptions about what I now think you need to be done. I'm trying to be helpful, but you know me well enough by now to understand how I am often a stranger to both minimal-verbosity and nontangential imagination. ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 11:17:25 am by Starver »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2022, 01:01:34 pm »

Well, after re-reading this thread, I thought that I would share my own discoveries.

How to use a quote to link to a website outside of Bay12

How to create something like this:

This is when the fourteen-year-old-boy market was recognized as the bloodthirsty collection of little psychopaths we were.

You simply do
[quote=*insert link here*][/quote]

It must be the full address with http and everything though. You cannot have it be shortened.

This works

Quote from: www.youtube.com
Does not work

WTF! WHY IS THAT WORKING SUDDENLY! IT NEVER WORKED BEFORE!

A new type of list

You ever wanted your ordered lists to be in the form of a, b, c, rather than 1,2,3, ?

This:
  • An item
  • A better item
  • Another item

Rather than this:

• An item
  • A better item
  • Another item

Well you can! All you need to do is this:

[list type=lower-alpha]
[li]An item[/li]
[li]A better item[/li]
[li]Another item[/li]
[/list]

You also make

• An item
  • A better item
  • Another item

with

[list type=upper-alpha]
[li]An item[/li]
[li]A better item[/li]
[li]Another item[/li]
[/list]

And there are possibly even more options. {list type} hooks into the list-style-type attribute in HTML which has a lot of options. Here's a link to some easy-to-read documentation on what may be possible. Not everything in the documentation can be done with BBcode though.

• An item
  • A better item
  • Another item
  • cool item
  • lame item

But you can do weird things like Roman Numerals.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

MadMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • This kills the dwarf.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2022, 04:13:52 pm »

A lot of webcomics allow you to click on the image to go to the next part. I have and am currently making a webcomic in Forum Games & Rleplaying, and I'm not the only one to do so, such as MadMonkey's Losing Is Fun since 2017. Shoot, was doubtful but hoping it was possble already. T0ady0ne has expressed a willingness to the possibility of adding some forum mods. Perhaps if several people expressed an interest in a same tab image url mod, it could happen.

I have longed for links that optionally open in the same tab since I started my comic. I'd be interested in this mod for sure!
Read Losing is Fun! https://losingisfun.org/

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #100 on: March 24, 2022, 05:18:34 am »

I have longed for links that optionally open in the same tab since I started my comic. I'd be interested in this mod for sure!

At least quotes can do that! ...alas, if only we could squeeze that quote-link into an image somehow :o

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2022, 05:34:44 am »

It's not that quotes do something additional, though, but that they don't. ;)

And you can't put a link into an image[1], you're actually putting the image into a link.

[1] Well, unless you start to implement image-mapping, but I don't think you're imagining that to be added as functionality. It'd be overkill for the use I understand you to desire, anyway, and far more open to cheeky abuse.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]