Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mod Support: Assign Secrets To Skill Levels  (Read 1184 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mod Support: Assign Secrets To Skill Levels
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:03:33 pm »

This is just a small suggestion for people who mod the game.

Simply put it would be nice if you could assign the in game secrets to different skills and at certain levels while modding.

So if you want a world where all staff fighters gain magical powers... Go for it.

Hopefully though the game's AI will realize the connection so anyone who wants magical powers knows what skill to train.

This needs to be its own suggestion mostly because there is no need for this in the base game. This would be an addition that would only affect modders.

---

Though let me add onto it

So you have the skill and the level it needs to be at...

-Gain: You know the secret at this skill level
-Study: You can 'study' the secret at this skill level, possibly with some numbers indicating how long it takes
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:12:29 pm by Neonivek »

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Support: Assign Secrets To Skill Levels
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 05:55:31 am »

Why are you posting in the board for base-game suggestions if you don't want this implemented in the base game? Wouldn't it be more productive to post in the modding board so people looking for mod ideas will see it?
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 06:28:18 am »

Why are you posting in the board for base-game suggestions if you don't want this implemented in the base game? Wouldn't it be more productive to post in the modding board so people looking for mod ideas will see it?
Because this isn't a suggestion for a mod, it's a suggestion for something which needs to be implemented in the game so modders can use it.
Taste my Paci-Fist

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 10:33:42 am »

Ooohh, I get it now. I guess I read it wrong the first time, or something. :-[
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 10:38:55 am »

This would let modders make secrets which were essentially advanced techniques. To use OP's example, maybe a staff fighter reaching legendary status has a chance to learn an amazing 'staff sweep' technique which is a secret that can be taught to others. You can seek him out and learn from him, or find a book he wrote and learn it that way.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 08:09:02 am »

I've Always felt that martial trance should be connected to the fighter skill, at skill level 10 a non-dwarven characters gains the ability and the same chance to enter a martial trance as a normal dwarf while a dwarf at this level gets an increased chance to trance and then at level 20 can enter it at will for a limited time with dwarves being able to trance for longer then non-dwarves.

This system could also form the basis of a future magic skills and potential spells.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 08:18:33 am »

I've Always felt that martial trance should be connected to the fighter skill, at skill level 10 a non-dwarven characters gains the ability and the same chance to enter a martial trance as a normal dwarf while a dwarf at this level gets an increased chance to trance and then at level 20 can enter it at will for a limited time with dwarves being able to trance for longer then non-dwarves.

This system could also form the basis of a future magic skills and potential spells.
I like the idea that dwarves have some mental mutation. They are(without modding) the only ones that can go into martial trances and are the only ones that have strange moods. This is because they are mentally unstable as the norm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »

I thought of a bit more.

So there is
-Obtain: You get it
-Discover: You can discover it

But I guess there is also
-Taught: You can learn it

The distinction being quite important.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 04:43:44 pm »

To use OP's example, maybe a staff fighter reaching legendary status has a chance to learn an amazing 'staff sweep' technique which is a secret that can be taught to others. You can seek him out and learn from him, or find a book he wrote and learn it that way.

... Modding would be nice, but hey, that'd be a great idea for the base game!

Presumably, when magic is more fleshed-out, there will be something like secrets that should be tied to skills, anyway.  Necromancers whose limits on zombie ressurections are based upon some skill or combination of skills and attributes, for example.

For that matter, for modding purposes, having either an extra batch of skills, or some capacity to mod in new skills would make sense if the game were to keep expanding on things like magic.  (I.E. someone using musicality as part of a secret, then letting musicality be trained by such-and-such an action at a workshop...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 10:14:53 pm »

Related:

Quote from: Putnam
Will the new libraries have any raw-defined and/or randomly generated secret books in them, which is to say anything with IS_SECRET:MUNDANE_RECORDING_POSSIBLE in them?

There could be some quirky way that a necromancer (or post w.g. adv) gets a book to a library, but I haven't expanded or linked that SECRET system into the innovation/knowledge system -- I think that ongoing neglect is because of the upcoming obliteration coming with the myth/artifact stuff...  then it'll be much more common, though I'm not sure how much of the SECRET stuff will survive vs. new general linkages with knowledge and whatever else.  So you might have to wait one more step, but there'll be some intense interaction modding changes coming.