Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Project Pandora" Thread (Newest: New continent map)  (Read 1938 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
"Project Pandora" Thread (Newest: New continent map)
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:57:14 am »

T'sup, fuckboys, Maks here!

So while I was still known as DarkDXZ here, some of you may probably remember my worldbuilding side project, Gun Francisco (which went on to later become Gundora, among other names) and the couple of concept arts/forum games/stories I made for it.
For those newcomers who don't know what the h*ck I'm talking about - it was basically a post-apocalyptic setting (first on Earth, then in its own world), full of wild technology, magic, guns, mutants and everything in-between.

Well, I just want you all to know that the world itself is not at all dead, though the tone shifted slightly (hopefully for the better) and it's now being made into my first legitimate fantasy novel.
Well...Right now it's still in the pre-planning phase. A very elaborate and in-depth one, I might add. (Though we'll get onto the writing part eventually, I assure you, right now we just want to get to a point from which we can work on and re-adjust things from there.)

I'm not working on it alone either. Aside from me there are 3 other people involved in the project (one of which is another forumite and an irl friend of mine as well) and everyone gets to contribute a fair share towards it. Every weekend we (try to) arrange a brainstorm session but some development takes places in-between those as well (mostly on my end).

I don't really want to spoil too much of the plot here, but it will essentially focus on how magic led to the downfall of the world as the peoples of it knew it (fantasy post-apocalypse, woo!) and how technology came to be in its form. (It's kind of like Shadowrun except that everything is the other way around.) It also features characters that we find to be really interesting, although character development is not exactly the field that I specialize in. (although I get a final say in most things, worldbuilding is still my focus of choice, and since it's relatively spoiler-free you will probably see more of it than of other related topics)

(Just so nobody gets their hopes up too early, we're still fairly early into the development as a whole, so I wouldn't expect anything to happen this or maybe even next year, but who knows. Keep in mind that none of us wrote any actual books before (though we do have one person with webcomic development experience; she's also the greatest at character development) so who knows how it's gonna look when you finally get to read into it sometime in the future.)

While that's all I really wanted to say for the time being, I can assure you we have a load of stuff in store to share here!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 11:01:09 am by Maks »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
Re: "Project Pandora" Thread (Gun Francisco/Gundora successor)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 08:07:27 pm »

Awesome, I loved Gun Francisco & Co.
Best of luck!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 08:31:09 pm »

So I spent some of my abundant free time today to lay everything down regarding the whole project into a neat mind map and realize just how many facets there actually are to developing this. Besides it's just cool to look at.
That said we kinda jump back and forth between those, though for the time being some of these aspects are ignored basically completely (the publishing part in particular, which is why it's so unprofessional as well).

Sorry that the updates are slow, we haven't really had the time to organize a meetup this week yet, and I wasn't really sure what to talk about yet. Maybe you have some ideas? What would you be the most interested in hearing about? Let me know and I will attempt to share it.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 10:56:04 am »

Hey, it's me again.
I'm really sorry that I haven't been putting out any updates recently but don't take this as a sign of me not making any progress - far from it. I just struggle to find a decent topic to talk about and put it in a way that doesn't spoil too much. :T

Instead, have a re-worked continent map I just made today from scratch in 2 hours. I'm really satisfied with the way it came out, even though it's missing landmarks and such (and may be even less geographically correct than the last one), but hey, here goes.
URL because this sucker is over 5MBs and 3240x2108. High resolution for the win.

See ya soon again, hopefully!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:51:10 am by Maks »

Midtime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: "Project Pandora" Thread (Newest: New continent map)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 03:39:07 am »

That's a pretty foreboding map! I'm sure there are absolutely no health risks associated with living inside that huge swathe of purple.

I hope to see more teasers from you soon. =)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: "Project Pandora" Thread (Newest: New continent map)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 10:20:00 am »

I'm sure there are absolutely no health risks associated with living inside that huge swathe of purple.